Hat Trick on Hogs - .30cal 125gr Hornady SST Field Report

13»

Replies

• 57jl57jl Posts: 1 New Member
    interesting I just got a box of 125gr  SSTs for the sika deer roar in late April for my ultra lite 308 rifle here in New Zealand they are smaller deer then red deer which I use 168 gr Amax projectiles for in the red deer roar. that way I can use the same rifle for both roars.reds start roaring in early April and sika start at the end of April through till the end of May. I was  a bit worried that lite SSTs might blow up on impact but not now thanks to the posts on this forum cheers and happy hunting guys
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    Wow, what a blast from the past. It was nice reading this thread again.

It's been my experience that SST's fall somewhere between Nosler Ballistic Tips (pretty soft) and A-Maxes (somewhat hard). I lean toward NBT's simply because here in Colorado shots tend to be slightly longer than average and it's nice to have a bullet that will reliably expand at the reduced velocities of longer ranges.

IMO, there's not a "perfect" bullet for everything under all conditions, but Hornady SST covers a lot of ground.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    I've harvested a truckload of whitetails with my old reliable .30-06 Mauser and Hornady 130 grain spire points over the past 30-something years.  Those loads with IMR 3031 chrono within a few FPS +/- of 3100 FPS, and I've yet to have to track a well-hit animal over 30 yards.  Most of them have been bang/flops, from muzzle blast range to over 300 yards.  They also shoot cloverleaf groups at 100 yards  They work so well, I've just never bothered to try anything else.  
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
13»