Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

What do cops think of more restrictive gun laws?

RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior MemberPosts: 4,646 Senior Member
Turns out not so much actually. Here is a survey of 15,000 cops, 70 percent of which are front line grunts.

They asked them almost 30 questions. From banning "assault weapons" to limiting mag capacity and CCL, etc. most of the questions are in the form of do you think enacting these laws would help reduce gun violence?

I was very pleasantly surprised. I think you will be too.

http://www.policeone.com/Gun-Legislation-Law-Enforcement/articles/6183787-PoliceOnes-Gun-Control-Survey-11-key-lessons-from-officers-perspectives/
Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    That is good to know. I hope these numbers are representative. The only thing I'd quibble over with the majority of them is requiring completion of a training program before being allowed to purchase a gun. They split pretty evenly on that one.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    That is good to know. I hope these numbers are representative. The only thing I'd quibble over with the majority of them is requiring completion of a training program before being allowed to purchase a gun. They split pretty evenly on that one.
    If it weren't for the government's track record on handling any and everything, I would be in favor of training. But this would allow the government to be in control and when some politicians get any power of controlling anything, some will end up abusing it for their own agendas. So I am not in favor of any sort of stipulation on any of our rights for that reason. Thou shalt not screw with my rights!

And even though I am in total agreement that none of these restrictions will make any difference in gun violence, I really don't give a damn if they WOULD reduce gun violence. My contention is no matter what, the second amendment has a very good reason for being in the Constitution that trumps any reason for it being removed or jacked with, plain and simple.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »

I hear what you're saying on the training thing, But just his once let's think that maybe some of them were thinking safety training might be good for a new owner's own safety. Gun sales are up in record numbers and i've been in the LGS while the clueless bought from the overworked.
    I once even intervened in a powder purchase.

Edit: Hell, I've got a 1000 CCI primers setting on my bench, that are NOT LR magnums which is what I asked for. He said yes so i said ring em up without double checking. Can't take em back.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs