Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Who is NOT a RINO?

With all the hoopla about voting or not voting for lesser evils, I was curious who some of you believe is not a RINO, while others can debate the merits of each selection.

A few to get the ball rolling

Marco Rubio: Made me a little (actually a lot) uneasy with his immigration/amnesty push, which last I heard he has pulled his support from.

Rand Paul: At this point I don't care about any isolationist tendencies he may possess, but it may not play well as the GOP nominee. Can the libertarians PLEASE make at least a plausible case here, one that plays well to the indy's?

Scott Walker: Did he go through a crucible or what? No idea about his convictions on 2A matters or social issues, but what I've seen of his fiscal convictions in taking on the public unions I was very impressed.
Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,826 Senior Member
    Walker is 2A. He passed the CCW in Wisconsin, and is a Hunter/Sportsman, as is Ryan! To bad Madison is so communist!! But, it always has been!!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    Trey Gowdy from SC is getting my attention. He stands strong in respect for and upholding the Constitution.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • lightkeeperlightkeeper Member Posts: 168 Member
    Maybe Walker or Gowdy. But I'm from Illinois so I don't trust any Politian. We're #1 in convicts from both sides of the aisle.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Forget trying to find a true conservative or a real Republican. RINOs are a fact of life. When election time rolls around, don't waste your time and temper measuring candidates against your personal, and probably impossible standard. Settle down, chill, and vote for the candidate that most represents the TRENDS AND DIRECTION you'd like the country to go in, and hope the Congress and the Courts are able to smooth out the bumps and straighten the curves. Sweating the details all by yourself will just drive you crazy.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    Walker has done some amazing work turning this state around and if anybody can pass the 'vetting test and come through with flying colors, it would be him. He and Ryan both seem to be part of 'the future' of the party. Two others from the Cheddar state are Senator Ron Johnson and Congressman Sean Duffy. I think it was CalliFFL who mentioned meeting Duffy on a trip and said he was impressed. Rubio and Cruz are intriguing, as is Paul.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 379 Member
    horselips wrote: »
    Forget trying to find a true conservative or a real Republican. RINOs are a fact of life. When election time rolls around, don't waste your time and temper measuring candidates against your personal, and probably impossible standard. Settle down, chill, and vote for the candidate that most represents the TRENDS AND DIRECTION you'd like the country to go in, and hope the Congress and the Courts are able to smooth out the bumps and straighten the curves. Sweating the details all by yourself will just drive you crazy.

Just trying to establish where everyone sits now, before hats are thrown into the proverbial ring, and the myriad of permanent professional consultant-class twerps latch on to one of these prospects if they become the nominee, and advise (as they always do) "don't fight." "Be nice." "Be agreeably disagreeable." and always "Pivot to the center." blah blah blah.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    For the time being, anybody who is not Christie gets a hard look before the presidential race kicks off, with an opportunity to present their voting record for consideration. I like Rand Paul and Cruz, among those who might actually run. Rubio gets some consideration, as does Ryan, although they still seem to like to get along with the establishment Republicans...and that does bother me. I like Scott Walker, so far, too. If he decides to run, I'll be looking hard at him.

Basically, I'm tentatively for anybody who disagrees with McCain/Graham, in the Senate, and I like anybody in the House who agrees with Louis Gohmert, who represents my district. I'd like to see him replace John Cornyn as the other Texas Senator.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Usually the ones who lose elections......
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Forget trying to find a true conservative or a real Republican.

Millions of voters already have.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I miss Reagan.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Walker has done some amazing work turning this state around and if anybody can pass the 'vetting test and come through with flying colors, it would be him. He and Ryan both seem to be part of 'the future' of the party. Two others from the Cheddar state are Senator Ron Johnson and Congressman Sean Duffy. I think it was CalliFFL who mentioned meeting Duffy on a trip and said he was impressed. Rubio and Cruz are intriguing, as is Paul.

Yep, he was campaigning in Wausau while I was there on business. Duffy and his family were at the same hotel and had breakfast at the next table. At the time, I had no idea who he was, but I liked him. He hadn't picked up the habit of sounding like a politician. Hopefully that hasn't changed.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member

Got to concede that the Chatty Equine has a fair point. A "true conservative" is for limitations of government power and government spending. Anyone running for office is by definition seeking government power and a salary that results from government spending. I suppose it's possible that there might be a few real altruists out there seeking to fix the system. If you're of voting age and still have that kind of faith in humanity, I want some of what you're smoking.

I guess the card-carrying liberals have one real advantage here - they don't have to hide the fact that they're working to make the aspects of government they like bigger.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    General Paul Vallely
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member

Yes, what you said Horselips.