Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Austin, TX city council goes full bore STOOPID!

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 27,398 Senior Member
Looks like Austin city council has been taken over by a bunch of drooling mouth breathing idiots. Is Texas going down the tubes?

http://reason.com/archives/2013/11/16/austin-city-limits-fast-food-restaurants

The Austin, Texas, city council will meet next Thursday to consider a resolution that could eventually ban "fast-food food restaurants from locating near areas that children frequent."

Specifically, the ban, or "Healthy Food Zone ordinance," would restrict fast food restaurants from locating anywhere near "schools, municipal parks, child care centers, libraries and recreation centers" in the city.

The resolution directs the city manager to work to draft a timeline before the end of the year for developing an ordinance that, if passed, would take effect in 2016.

"If passed, this would only affect new fast-food chains from being built," writes KEYE-TV's Alex Boyer. "Existing one (sic) would be allowed to stay put."

That may be true. But I see nothing in the resolution's language that would guarantee that customers who like their existing fast food restaurant would be able to keep their existing fast food restaurant.

For example, the resolution would require the city manager "to gather and prepare data that identifies locations of fast food restaurants" in Austin. If the ordinance would only ban future restaurants, then why gather data on existing restaurants?

The resolution also doesn't distinguish between "existing" or "new" fast food restaurants. Neither word appears in the resolution.
  I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
― Douglas Adams

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,155 Senior Member
    It got voted down in short order. And yes, enough morons and ijuts have moved here from NY, CA, and CO that we do have to deal with dumb "rhymes-with-hit" all the time.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Make frech fries illegal and we can see what kind of "cut" the converted drug dealers use to make the fries last longer. Good news is we will not need dogs that need to trained to smell fries. Put all the fast food places next to the local "shoe" shows and liquor stores. Give me a break! :yikes: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    politicians push laws like doctors push pills…it's what they do. It's all they know.

The only cure to a politician's problem is a slow trip through a wood chipper- - - -feet first!
    Jerry
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »

Specifically, the ban, or "Healthy Food Zone ordinance," would restrict fast food restaurants from locating anywhere near "schools, municipal parks, child care centers, libraries and recreation centers" in the city.

Proof positive this was wrote by a liberal in dream world. They think they will find today's kids in a library...
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    More importantly, what is to stop a criminal from bringing a baconator into one of these junk food free zones?
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    Isn't Austin where its illegal to yell "AUDITORIUM!!" at a crowded fire? :roll2:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,827 Senior Member
    If you LIKE your current fast food restaurant, you can still GO to that restaurant!!:roll2:

Austin is similar to Madison, Wi. Full of commies!!
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,671 Senior Member
    From what I have heard, Austin is like a microcosm of Commiefornia.
    "kill it before it grows." Eric Clapton, I shot the sheriff
    :devil:
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    If you LIKE your current fast food restaurant, you can still GO to that restaurant!!:roll2:

Austin is similar to Madison, Wi. Full of commies!!

Haven't had any of that kind of nonsense here........yet. It (hopefully) won't be coming any time soon, what with the minor revolution we had here in 2010. Both Madison's and Milwaukee's city governments (as well as the surrounding county govts) are VERY liberal, though the State govt. has changed considerably.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Looks like Austin city council has been taken over by a bunch of drooling mouth breathing idiots. Is Texas going down the tubes?

http://reason.com/archives/2013/11/16/austin-city-limits-fast-food-restaurants

The Austin, Texas, city council will meet next Thursday to consider a resolution that could eventually ban "fast-food food restaurants from locating near areas that children frequent."

The resolution directs the city manager to work to draft a timeline before the end of the year for developing an ordinance that, if passed, would take effect in 2016.

"If passed, this would only affect new fast-food chains from being built," writes KEYE-TV's Alex Boyer. "Existing one (sic) would be allowed to stay put."

That may be true. But I see nothing in the resolution's language that would guarantee that customers who like their existing fast food restaurant would be able to keep their existing fast food restaurant.

For example, the resolution would require the city manager "to gather and prepare data that identifies locations of fast food restaurants" in Austin. If the ordinance would only ban future restaurants, then why gather data on existing restaurants?

The resolution also doesn't distinguish between "existing" or "new" fast food restaurants. Neither word appears in the resolution.

Mike, it is well known that Texas is one of the Reddest and most conservative states in the union. However, Austin is the last bastion of Libtards here. Austin is in Travis County and Travis County District Attorney Ronnie Earle is who indicted U.S. Representative Tom Delay, in 2005. Austin is eaten up with libtards. Austin was Lyndon Johnsons power center and most of Texas Libtards call it home base. So this doesn't surprise me. My mother was born and raised in Austin and I have spent my share of time there. It has always been somewhere left of Massachusetts. Let me rephrase that, somewhere left of Boston. Not all of Massachusetts is leftist. We have some good patriots from that state here on the Forum who are good solid people.

California deserves the same courtesy because again, the whole state isn't like San Francisco.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    ......Austin is the last bastion of Libtards here. Austin is in Travis County and Travis County District Attorney Ronnie Earle is who indicted U.S. Representative Tom Delay, in 2005......
    And apparently Delay has been vindicated of all charges, but nearly bankrupted in the meantime. Maybe Delay should sue that scummer for malicious prosecution or something.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Since an out behind the barn butt-kicking seems to be deserved, but frowned upon by today's society, there really should be some way to hold these donkeyhole prosecutors, politicians, cops, etc. financially responsible for their actions. The Louisville Slugger to the knees and elbows option still seems to be a better idea!
    Jerry
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 379 Member
    From what I have heard, Austin is like a microcosm of Commiefornia.
    "kill it before it grows." Eric Clapton, I shot the sheriff
    :devil:

Actually, Bob Marley mon!

News flash: Law makers, make laws!!! After 230+ years some pretty stupid ones at that.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
    Actually, Bob Marley mon!

News flash: Law makers, make laws!!! After 230+ years some pretty stupid ones at that.

Clapton's version is the only one I know. Wouldn't be the first time one artist wrote for or gave permission to another artist to use their music.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    It got voted down in short order. And yes, enough morons and ijuts have moved here from NY, CA, and CO that we do have to deal with dumb "rhymes-with-hit" all the time.

Feeling my pain now? And I'm an Ijit that got transferred from CA to CO when I was six.......but I learned to hunt and shoot in CO........it's the current crop that can go pound the sand after soaking it with their Kool-Aid of Utopia. Kid's crying for their McNuggets after a day at school or in the park.......As a parent, learn this word we all heard........"Shaddup!"

Austin is the Boulder of Texas.......got to keep them in check so they don't take over the state with their silly feel-good agendas.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!