Home Main Category Clubhouse

You favorite Christmas songs??

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 22,202 Senior Member
There are two I look forward to hearing every year.
My all time favorite is this duet from Bing and Bowie
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,202 Senior Member
    Had to break it up, won't let you put 2 videos in one post
    It's rare for a song to bring me to tears. This one from TSO did

[video=youtube_share;NY4J8yBf6vg]

So what are some of yours?
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,202 Senior Member
    and this one deserves an honorable mention, just because it's so DANGED FUNNY :rotflmao:
    [video=youtube_share;wn6HI5JQBhQ]

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,595 Senior Member
    One name: Jackie Evancho.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,403 Senior Member
    Wife and I are going to see TSO in Pittsburg next week....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,617 Senior Member
    We like The TransSiberian Orchestra and Mannheim Steamroller all through the Christmas season
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,954 Senior Member
    That Autry song about the snowman
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,571 Senior Member
    I've liked many versions of 'The Little Drummer Boy", but I hate the Lou Rawls version.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    I've liked many versions of 'The Little Drummer Boy", but I hate the Lou Rawls version.

Little Drummer Boy is my single favorite Christmas song. Now I hafta hear the Rawls version.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Dogs barking Jingle Bells.........................Arf Arf Arf.............No just kidding................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,623 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Little Drummer Boy is my single favorite Christmas song. Now I hafta hear the Rawls version.

That's my absolute least favorite. In any version. It's the absolute worst Christmas carol in existence.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    That's my absolute least favorite. In any version. It's the absolute worst Christmas carol in existence.
    Its the worst non-secular one.

Most secular xmas music sucks. I detest - and I mean DETEST "Jingle Bells".

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Oh Holy Night has to be my favorite.
    I want to punch kittens when I hear Jingle Bells.

It's almost time for Christmas songs. There's a standing rule in my house. NO Christmas music, an NO Christmas decorations till after thanksgiving.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I absolutely despise any and all Christmas music. I hate the rush, the anxiety, everything. I kinda hate Thanksgiving just because of it's proximity to Christmas. I'm just ready for it all to be over.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member

That's...like...your opinion, man.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,403 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »

In case anyone doesn't want to search for it..........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I like this version of Jingle Bells.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTuuaTWwDK0
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,528 Senior Member
    White Christmas by Bing Crosby and Ave Maria by Leontyne Price.
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    A lot of the TSO stuff is great. I've seen them in concert twice, so far. But my favorite Christmas song would probably be Silent Night, done simply on piano or guitar, one singer....no frills, just the basics.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,753 Senior Member
    Weird Al Yankovic's The Night Santa Went Crazy - Extra Gory Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC4hJMpW2pM
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • conchokidconchokid Administrator Posts: 512 Senior Member
    Nat Cole's "Christmas Song" (Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...) is a favorite of mine.
    And I don't see anything bad about the original "Little Drummer Boy" by the Harry Simeone Chorale. I played it hundreds of times on the radio back in the day and never tired of it.
    I love choral groups, especially for Christmas music. The Ray Conniff Singers did several Christmas albums and they are a holiday tradition at my house.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I will add though, there's some good parodies out there. :tooth:

I assume you got my IM, then. You should send it to Buffco and anyone else that you think might like a laugh.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    For me, traditional Christmas hymns and carols are without comparison, including:

Hark the Herald Angels Sing
    O Come All Ye Faithful
    O Little Town of Bethlehem
    Joy to the World, the Lord is Come
    O Holy Night
    Of the Father's Love Begotten

plus full-on classical Christmas compositions:
    Bach's Christmas Cantata
    Handel's Messiah (the Christmas section)

There's only a very few Broadway or pop Christmas tunes that I can tolerate.

Over the years I've learned to tune out the insane commercialization of Christmas but it's still annoying, particularly the early dates of the emphasis. The only way I can keep my sanity and, as Dickens says, "keep Christmas in my heart" is to minimize the commercialization and focus on the religious aspects.

Nothing means Christmas to me as much as attending midnight services on Christmas Eve, the REAL story, and that helps make up for the nutty frustrations of previous days.

And of course, celebrating Christmas throughout the genuine Christmas season, the 12 days of Christmas, from Christmas Day till Epiphany (Jan 6). So those of you who concentrate on Christmas itself, don't forget to keep up the joy all those 12 days.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,623 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Its the worst non-secular one.

Most secular xmas music sucks. I detest - and I mean DETEST "Jingle Bells".

I consider "The little Drummer Boy" to be secular. No drummer in the nativity story, and could you imagine ANY new mom smiling at some little jerk banging away on a drum next to a newborn? Even the holy mother would have tackled the little dork to make him stop

2nd worst behind "The Little Drummer Boy" is "Jingle Bell Rock". Those two make me want to punch an elf.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Even the holy mother would have tackled the little dork to make him stop

Now that's funny!
    I consider "The little Drummer Boy" to be secular. No drummer in the nativity story, and could you imagine ANY new mom smiling at some little jerk banging away on a drum next to a newborn? Even the holy mother would have tackled the little dork to make him stop.

Geez, it wasn't like the kid was toting around a Tommy Lee drum kit complete with Zildjan cymbals.

He even asked Mary's permission before he played...

Adam J. McCleod

I consider "The little Drummer Boy" to be secular. No drummer in the nativity story, and could you imagine ANY new mom smiling at some little jerk banging away on a drum next to a newborn? Even the holy mother would have tackled the little dork to make him stop.

2nd worst behind "The Little Drummer Boy" is "Jingle Bell Rock". Those two make me want to punch an elf.
    Yea, what's up with Jingle Bell Rock? If there was a song that never made any sense whatsoever to me, that's gotta be it. Lousy from a musical perspective too.

Frosty the Snowman makes me want to barf bats!

My all time faves are Greensleeves/What Child is This?, O Holy Night, and It Came Upon A Midnight Clear.

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,089 Senior Member
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,089 Senior Member
    :yikes:

Awesome.... Feliz Navidad
  • Miss MaryMiss Mary Senior Member Posts: 743 Senior Member
    I love "Sleigh Ride", when I was about 8, 60 years ago, it was the theme song for the Santa show that came on on December 1st and ran till Dec. 24. That one always makes me think Christmas is just around the corner! (And yes, I did still believe in Santa @ that time!)