Why Tasers aren't a good SD choice.......

2»

Replies

• temmitemmi Member Posts: 230 Member
    Jay wrote: »
    Tasers aren't meant to "stun" people. They aren't stun guns. OC spray is not "repellant" unless you spray them with animal repellant or mosquito repellant. Tasers may or may not be a good SD choice, but they are effective for LE at times. Sometimes it beats the alternative. "Macing" people in holding cells in itself is not unheard of and not always a bad practice. People can injure themselves or others in a holding cell. Opening the door and starting a physical fight generally increses risk of injury to somebody involved. Depends on the situation and how the force is used. Not trying to defend poor decisions and actions that do happen out there every day, but you can't condemn practices and tools based on news articles.

+1

They are better than harsh words
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Why not both?

Taser 'em , then pepper spray 'em! Or vice/versa!

That could be entertaining!
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,323 Senior Member
    Not unheard of. Just not a good idea if the spray uses alcohol as the carrier. Also gotta watch it with the sprays that use butane as the propellant. Water based carriers and nitrogen propellants, no problem.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,323 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    True... the original "Mace" was primarily CN (1%)...later formulations either added the "pepper" component or did away with the CN component completely...In my experience, the original formulation was a little more brutal (nausea/vomiting)but more effective...

CN and CS blends are still available, of course. I'm not interested in using them for the most part. Definitely much more cross contamination possible. They do seem to produce a much stronger effect. IMO, CS and CN are much more effective in pyro form. And I hate them. CS works great, as long as it's not effecting me.............
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    CN and CS blends are still available, of course. I'm not interested in using them for the most part. Definitely much more cross contamination possible. They do seem to produce a much stronger effect. IMO, CS and CN are much more effective in pyro form. And I hate them. CS works great, as long as it's not effecting me.............

Ditto.

There is a running joke amongst us that if you "pepper spray" a suspect, you get to fight him alone. Not the case in reality, however. But it shows the dislike for the stuff amongst our officers. Plus, it affects me so badly that I'm not sure I could operate in any capacity other than saving my life should I get it on me. When I got pepper sprayed, they said I had an uncanny reaction to it and hadn't seen a case so bad in a long time. Haha. I stay clear of it.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,052 Senior Member
    The best pepper sprays have an alcohol-based carrier. That way, if you light up someone with pepper spray and then the tazer, they might actually light up!
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    I've seen a video of a suspect being lit ablaze unintentionally due to being sprayed, then tased. The fire was small and quickly extinguished, but nevertheless it happened.

But for one thing, pepper spray can make a combative suspect even more combative. It's best reserved for protesting hippies and other pacifists.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Ditto.

There is a running joke amongst us that if you "pepper spray" a suspect, you get to fight him alone. Not the case in reality, however. But it shows the dislike for the stuff amongst our officers. Plus, it affects me so badly that I'm not sure I could operate in any capacity other than saving my life should I get it on me. When I got pepper sprayed, they said I had an uncanny reaction to it and hadn't seen a case so bad in a long time. Haha. I stay clear of it.

I'm one of the lucky ones who found that I have almost no reaction to it at all. Like I told my classmates when we were sprayed "Hell... I eat stuff hotter'n that." :jester: Just keep in mind that it doesn't affect everybody the same way.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
2»