Home Main Category Hunting

Time magazine cover

Dr. dbDr. db Senior MemberPosts: 1,541 Senior Member
The new Time has a doe on the cover. The article, I just skimmed since I won't buy it, suggests that game animals are becoming a nuisance. The author's suggestion was to hunt the animals! I never thought I would see Time advocate that.

Replies

• Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Atlanta GaPosts: 1,813 Senior Member
    If it wasn't for the wind farms we would be run over by Bald Eagles. Conservation is great but does have issues of games ability to reproduce and reduction of a balanced food chain. Bears like McDonalds better than fishing for a living. :nono: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Deer have only three things they must do- - - -eat, sleep, and make more deer. When the deer population was kept in check by the natural order of things- - - -predation- - - -including being hunted by humans as well as carnivorous animals, their numbers didn't present much of a problem. When the meddlesome bunny huggers started tinkering with that natural balance, the deer still do the same things they have always done, but without the leveling factor of becoming food for other species. No wonder they became "rats with hooves"! It's only when the urban gardeners' shrubbery is on the menu, and their minivans get totaled by deer/car collisions that they suddenly get concerned about the deer population explosion!
    Jerry
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Hmmm. Hunt them? Next thing you know, they are going to suggest using guns to do that. Crazy, I tell ya'.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,687 Senior Member
    Some evil Bambi probably was caught munching on the editors tulips!!
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    With the Whitetail Deer population increase in its former range, we are seeing one of the fundamental Laws of Wildlife Biology taking place. "Nature Abhors A Vacuum"! An increase in a prey species such as Whitetails will also trigger an increase in predator species which preys on the prey species. The panthers moving out of the western mountains into the eastern and central states is an example. If the deer population continues to increase at too rapid a rate for the predators to control it, then other "predators" will quickly jump in.....DISEASES and VEHICLES!
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,821 Senior Member
    I haven't bought a Time magazine in a couple decades, but I did pick that one up yesterday, simply to see how Time slanted it. I was surprised. The article pretty much espoused what the pros have known for years.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    I haven't bought a Time magazine in a couple decades, but I did pick that one up yesterday, simply to see how Time slanted it. I was surprised. The article pretty much espoused what the pros have known for years.

Mike

YUP!