Home Main Category Hunting

Holy cow!!!

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,805 Senior Member
Just ran the ballistics on the bullet I'm hoping to use for the upcoming antelope hunt

Barnes 130 TTSX
300 Wby Mag
3650 FPS

sighted in at 300 yards it is

2.2 @ 100 - 3377
2.9 @ 200 - 3120
0.0 @ 300 - 2878
-7.1 @ 400 - 2648
-19.21 @ 500 - 2431

NOT that I would ever shoot that far....but extending the numbers out, my acceptable fps/ft-lbs to reliably expand a bullet and have sufficient energy (going by the general deer sized of 1000 ft-lbs and 2000fps for reliable expansion) is a hair over 700 yards!! Drop is 62 inches lol, but surprisingly there is only 37" at 600. . And its still only taking .775 seconds TOF lol.

Now I also ran the 165 NBT, just for kicks, it rises higher, and drops faster, and loses velocity nearly the same according to this chart.

Just thought I'd share some fun numbers I just read
Wambli Ska wrote: »
Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Replies

• beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Yep those are certainly fun numbers
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,708 Senior Member
    It appears that if you get a good hit, you can kill a goat in Alec's back yard from here.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    It appears that if you get a good hit, you can kill a goat in Alec's back yard from here.

:applause::guns::roll2:
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »

Why did you have to bring Yvonne into it..........Its a thread about hunting, not.........er..........um...........nevermind.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    A 300 Wby Mag for speed goats? Dude, think of your shoulder. I've met you. You're just a little feller not much bigger'n a squirrel....
    cpj wrote: »
    It appears that now you can miss just as easily as you did last year. : ohsnap :

Probably even EASIER!
    Buffco wrote: »
    A 300 Wby Mag for speed goats? Dude, think of your shoulder. I've met you. You're just a little feller not much bigger'n a squirrel....

Its been a while since you've seen me. I've been drinking milk, I'm all grownz up and huge now.
    A 30-06 with a 165gr bullet is 23 ft lbs of free recoil and here is your 300Wby with a 130gr bullet

Cartridge: .300 Wby Mag
    Firearm: Mark V

Load and Firearm Info:

Bullet Dia (in): 0.308
    Case Length (in): 2.825
    Case Volume (gr H2O): 92.4
    Muzzle velocity (ft/sec): 3650
    Bullet Wt (gr): 130
    Charge Weight (gr): 86
    Barrel Length (in): 26
    Firearm Weight (lb): 8.00
    Free recoil energy is 30 ft-lb. (40.7 Joule)
  • U TU T Member Posts: 423 Member
    Just ran the ballistics on the bullet I'm hoping to use for the upcoming antelope hunt

Barnes 130 TTSX
    300 Wby Mag
    3650 FPS

sighted in at 300 yards it is

2.2 @ 100 - 3377
    2.9 @ 200 - 3120
    0.0 @ 300 - 2878
    -7.1 @ 400 - 2648
    -19.21 @ 500 - 2431

NOT that I would ever shoot that far....but extending the numbers out, my acceptable fps/ft-lbs to reliably expand a bullet and have sufficient energy (going by the general deer sized of 1000 ft-lbs and 2000fps for reliable expansion) is a hair over 700 yards!! Drop is 62 inches lol, but surprisingly there is only 37" at 600. . And its still only taking .775 seconds TOF lol.

Now I also ran the 165 NBT, just for kicks, it rises higher, and drops faster, and loses velocity nearly the same according to this chart.

Just thought I'd share some fun numbers I just read[/QUOTE

I hunted antelope years ago with my 300 wby mag with nosler 125 gr ballistic tips, and know it was over 3500 fps. I don't have the chart, and they shot good. Those 125 grain ballistic tips did a good job on the antelope though. Good luck.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member
    In defense of MHS, I recall an article by none other than Craig Boddington stating that he preferred the 'fast 30s' on pronghorns. I personally prefer something a bit lighter, but it's kind of hard to argue with the man's experience and success.

I also have had the pleasure of hunting antelope with Dan (MHS) twice, and have no doubt that he knows what he's doing. If he's comfortable using a 300 Weatherby, I'm sure as heck not going to tell him to use something else. Give the man credit for knowing what works for him.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    I know he is getting these numbers with the 130gr TTSX in his 300Wby - because in my 300 win mag with that same bullet I am getting across the chrony on the average the following.

Bullet
    130gr TTSX

Powder
    Norma MRP

Brass
    Winchester

Primer
    CCI250

Velocity fps
    3512 fps

COAL
    3.319"

Group
    0.725" (3 shot)

100 +2.3
    200 +2.8
    300 -0.8
    400 -9.3
    BT,

Mind running those numbers again for me? The actual rifle weight is 9.5 fully loaded/scoped/slinged. Curious, but 30ft-lbs sounds about right.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    In defense of MHS, I recall an article by none other than Craig Boddington stating that he preferred the 'fast 30s' on pronghorns. I personally prefer something a bit lighter, but it's kind of hard to argue with the man's experience and success.

I also have had the pleasure of hunting antelope with Dan (MHS) twice, and have no doubt that he knows what he's doing. If he's comfortable using a 300 Weatherby, I'm sure as heck not going to tell him to use something else. Give the man credit for knowing what works for him.

Thanks Jerry!

Seriously, I WAS going to use my 308, but the game changed when I got a not always easy to draw tag on a prime ranch. That stretched string flat trajectory takes a LOT of the guess work out, because those who have hunted goats can all confirm....those range finders don't ALWAYS work on em. Small critters, the light fur and light color can make a solid range a bit more difficult.

Yes, the bullet is much stronger then needed, but I'm looking at that arch....that is basically a hold-on-fur set up to probably 450 yards.

I'm likely going with a 257 Wby as a more sensible choice for future goat hunting, but that ain't built yet. The 300 is ready to go, as is the 308, and thats going as well, on back up duty. Also have toyed for a few years with the thought of a 240 Wby as well.....
    BT,

Mind running those numbers again for me? The actual rifle weight is 9.5 fully loaded/scoped/slinged. Curious, but 30ft-lbs sounds about right.

Cartridge: .300 Wby

Load and Firearm Info:
    Bullet Dia (in): 0.308
    Case Length (in): 2.825
    Case Volume (gr H2O): 92.4
    Muzzle velocity (ft/sec): 3650
    Bullet Wt (gr): 130
    Charge Weight (gr): 86
    Barrel Length (in): 26
    Firearm Weight (lb): 9.50
    Free recoil energy is 25.3 ft-lb. (34.2 Joule)
    WOW! Not bad at all!! Can't wait to try em out today! Thanks for running that BT