Home Main Category Hunting

Last 15 minutes of the last night of season....Updated with Terminal Ballistics Pics

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorManistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
One of the wheat fields out back of my house is a nice "evening spot" so I decided to toddle out there about 3:30pm. Got set up on the edge in a patch of Indian grass with my back up againt an old down cottonwood. Longest shot from this spot is 184 yards. As the day began to fade, the coyotes started howling and the hooty owls started hootyin. Just as the light (and the season) began to fade, a pair of small bucks entered the field from the west - shortly followed by a pair of does. Both bucks were smaller bodied critters than the does so I decided to drop the does and end it. Had the Stag Hunter in 6.8 SPC loaded with 110grain BTHPs. The first doe was out there at 120 yards...held on her neck and touched off the shot, she dropped in her tracks and then all of a sudden, there were deer EVERYWHERE.then things got sporty.....14 or 15 of them came running out and bless me if they didn't stop to graze! Had another nice fat doe stop straight out in front of me at 150 yards. She turned her head back to scratch with her hind hoof, I held for another neck shot and down she went.....took about an hour to get them loaded, back to the garage, hung up and dressed. Pictures tomorrow. Now I can stow the blaze orange and get back to coyote hunting...
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    Really? The deer in Kansas run towards gunfire and eat, you sir, suck.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    There were still deer out there feeding their faces while I was walking out there to check my kills....
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,060 Senior Member
    Lies.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    That doesn't happen every day-Congrats!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,754 Senior Member
    Nice, that had to have been exciting.

Sako
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    I've never seen or heard of something that odd. The closest I've ever seen was deer stand dead still and look up after a shot, allowing for a follow-up on another deer. It would be something else altogether to see tem start rolling into the wet slap of one of their own eating a bullet. Congrats on an exceptionally expedited hunt!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Ft. Laramie WyPosts: 820 Senior Member
    Job well done.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,219 Senior Member
    Congrats!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,402 Senior Member
    Excellent end to the season, if it happened..:tooth: ................( until the pics get posted, I am in the Zee camp. lol.)

Hopefully the pics will also show the PM results.............

PS. Don't forget to have the action open in the pics, wouldn't want you to get chastised......
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I dropped two does within about 5 minutes of each other, maybe 100 yards apart, and while I was field-dressing the second one, a deer strolled up about 75 yards away and stood there watching me. My brother, my nephew, and I tried to shoot that one, and the angle of the rising sun was just right to turn all our scopes into orange blobs. Nobody had iron sights! I tried to put a sneak on the deer and it finally took off!
    Jerry
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    :roll2:
    orchidman wrote: »
    PS. Don't forget to have the action open in the pics, wouldn't want you to get chastised......
    :roll2:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    Now that is a heck of a way to end a day let alone a season. Congratulations, looking forward to the pics.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    This ain't very artistic or anything.....I call it "Dead deer hangin in a storage shed"
    Deaddeer001_zpsc9120cc0.jpg

Hopefully the autopsy pics will be more educational...

P.S. I can provide photos of the gut buckets if those are needed....
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member God's countryPosts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Boy they look nice. Sleek coats, fat hams. Ya done good.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    P.S. I can provide photos of the gut buckets if those are needed....

No need. Two hanging corpses will suffice.

Good work!

That cartridge is the best use of a .270 bullet by far.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Olsburg KansasPosts: 1,650 Senior Member
    What did you think of the sunset that night? Spectacular colors.
    Yep...it sure was pretty...can you believe the weather? Froze our butts off all season, now I've got to hustle to get these gals butchered because it's too warm....
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Northwest, OklahomaPosts: 1,001 Senior Member
    Excellent job.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Sadly in MaPosts: 424 Member
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    nice!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Better pictures...

deer2013011_zps850848c5.jpg

Especially for those who gasp in horror at a picture of a ready-to-go firearm

deer2013013_zps99872d69.jpg

Be warned however, the magazine has actual loaded rounds in it.
    OK...autopsy photos....This is deer #2...standing broadside with her head twisted back towards her hind foot. Hold was on the base of the neck, 150 yards..6.8 110 grain BTHP...

Entry in hide

deer2013001_zpseaf646d0.jpg

No exit just a huge hematoma...

deer2013002_zps8ea5c408.jpg

The bullet self-destructed as it dug a furrow through spine

deer2013006_zps41bdcb81.jpg

Deer # 1

Entry Base of the neck, point of the shoulder

deer2013010_zpsff2a5817.jpg

Exit underneath shoulder blade where the bullet blew up....no exit in hide...bullet performed as with deer #2 and left a hole in-between
    you can stick your fist in...no neck roasts!

deer2013009_zps95488a5e.jpg
    One more pic.... Backstraps and tenderloins....

deer2013007_zps3ba09ecc.jpg
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    One more pic.... Backstraps and tenderloins....

deer2013007_zps3ba09ecc.jpg
    :drool:
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    deer2013013_zps99872d69.jpg

Be warned however, the magazine has actual loaded rounds in it.
    Now, that's funny right there.
    Bullets look to be performing well. Considering the amount of bone encountered. Those still the original ones from several years ago?
    Yep...an interesting observation...apart from the rounds used to zero and confirm come-ups....every other round fired through that rifle has accounted for a critter...deer or coyote....
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member God's countryPosts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Now, that's funny right there.

friggin hilarious. He went the long way around the barn to make a funny but I LMAO
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    Yep...an interesting observation...apart from the rounds used to zero and confirm come-ups....every other round fired through that rifle has accounted for a critter...deer or coyote....
    That's pretty cool. Glad they are being well used.