Home Main Category Hunting

Check out this duck mount my taxidermist did for me

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
I shot a pair of redheads during this hunt in Arizona last year:

LuisandGeorge-19Jan2013.jpg

ArizonaDucks-19Jan2013.jpg

I sent them off to Birdman Studios and when I went by his studio in Colorado, drew up this mount design in pencil and paper. He brought the idea to life perfectly. The guy does the best work in the business in my opinion.

2-redheadmount_zps5699efb0.jpg
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,496 Senior Member
    W-O-W!!!!!!!!

I hate to think of the cost of that piece of art.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    W-O-W!!!!!!!!

I hate to think of the cost of that piece of art.

He cut me a deal on the work, but it was still $$$. I'm not complaining though. You get what you pay for with this stuff. For me, it's the comments on his Facebook page that are really satisfying to read. Tons of people love an idea that I drew up on paper and will probably have something similar done. They probably have no clue that the customer came up with it, but that's just fine. Todd's calling card is that if you can dream it up, he can do it. This mount is spot on with my vision and that's why he'll continue to get my money when something special shows up on the bird stringer. If you ever shoot a duck worth keeping, let me know and I'll refer you. As a favor to me, people I refer get a little bit of a hookup on the completion timeline.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Looks good! BTW, I hear Buffy is a taxidermist- - - - -he will mount anything!
    :tooth:
    Jerry
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,651 Senior Member
    That is the nicest duck mount I have ever seen.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,732 Senior Member
    Very nice well-thought out mount.... :up:
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    That is excellent, Luis. Is he the one whose land you shot your elk earlier this year?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Looks amazing.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    That is excellent, Luis. Is he the one whose land you shot your elk earlier this year?

Thanks, Jerry. Yes, this is the same guy.
  • agewonagewon Senior Member Posts: 655 Senior Member
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    He did an awesome job on those ducks!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

Hmm...I have a neighbor that's been irritating lately. I might have some work for him. :tooth:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,611 Senior Member
    W O W!!!!!!!
    :worthy: :love:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,022 Senior Member
    Looks very good
    but
    redheads are so good eating I would have eaten them.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,036 Senior Member
    WOW!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Excellent mount! :cool2:
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

Reminds me of the joke about 2 gay guys making their final arrangements, that included a taxidermist. Can't tell it here though.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    I have to agree that that is a very nice idea for a mount. And well executed too.

Years ago and in a former life when I rubbed elbows with the rich and famous there was this one guy with a palatial mansion. On a lake. He had hunted all over the world and lemme tell ya he had some heads and some hides. His fireplace was huge, you could've roasted a hog on a spit in that thing.
    Anyway the rock chimney went way up high and he had all kinds of waterfowl mounts on it. And then a fake waterline. And below that fish mounts and even some turtles. it was as good as Bass Pro Shops
    NN wrote: »
    Looks very good
    but
    redheads are so good eating I would have eaten them.

Redheads are proliferated like cockroaches around here. I've eaten quite a few, but to shoot two in such good shape/worth mounting AND get my bull pintail mount bird out the same hunt was a real treat:

pintail5_zpsc78b470a.jpg
    I have to agree that that is a very nice idea for a mount. And well executed too.

Years ago and in a former life when I rubbed elbows with the rich and famous there was this one guy with a palatial mansion. On a lake. He had hunted all over the world and lemme tell ya he had some heads and some hides. His fireplace was huge, you could've roasted a hog on a spit in that thing.
    Anyway the rock chimney went way up high and he had all kinds of waterfowl mounts on it. And then a fake waterline. And below that fish mounts and even some turtles. it was as good as Bass Pro Shops

I've always been fascinated by intricate mount scenes like that. If I had the dough to stock and execute it...
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Thanks, Jerry. Yes, this is the same guy.

It's just not that fair to have that many good friends. You really, really, really must be doing something right. -:)
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    It's just not that fair to have that many good friends. You really, really, really must be doing something right. -:)

Honest to goodness, I think I've just been really, really lucky. Hunting was such a futile endeavor for me until the past few years, let alone accessing anything resembling decent private land! Speaking of which, make sure you remind me when the books open for the Colorado draw this year. I gotta make sure to put in for my deer/antelope points again this year, maybe even get super lucky and draw something.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,212 Senior Member
    That is a beautiful mount. Great idea, and he executed it perfectly.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Very nice indeed.:up::up::up::up:
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,999 Senior Member
    Seriously Cool! Merry Christmas
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    I've always been fascinated by intricate mount scenes like that. If I had the dough to stock and execute it... "

Yeah, me too. But I won't show anything I didn't take myself. That's why a Pintail is my grail duck. If it's a puddle duck I've probably killed a bunch of them. But never a Pintail.

Yeah, me too. But I won't show anything I didn't take myself. That's why a Pintail is my grail duck. If it's a puddle duck I've probably killed a bunch of them. But never a Pintail.

I'm the same way. I have no mounts done of birds I didn't shoot myself and never will. By "having the dough to stock it," I literally mean to go on enough hunts to get the critters that would go in it.

If you need a pintail, you need to get over here. We've got plenty of them here in Nevada and I shot the one in the other mount I posted above in Arizona. It's odd how each place has scores of certain types of birds and virtually none of others. Nebraska had boatloads of blue wing teal but very few green wings. They also had tons of mallards but virtually no redheads. Here its the opposite.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,326 Senior Member
    At first I though they were mounted on the tail gate, until I scrolled down. Very nice mounts. Taxidermy is an art form!