Home Main Category Hunting

7mm Remington Ultra Mag / 162gr A-Max - Field Report

2»

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,060 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    300 RUM. Under 100 yards. Heavy bone.
    That scenario is why I paid 2x as much a bullet for Accubonds for my elk hunt. It proved a worthwhile investment, but, the bullet never touched a bone.
    If an A Max will stand up to that, it'll stand up to anything.

Oh, is THAT all you want? I thought you were going to be picky or something. No problem.......I'll get right on it. Oh, which leg do you want shot first and how much should the pig weigh?

:roll:

:blah:

:wink:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member In the sticks, OHPosts: 5,617 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Oh, is THAT all you want? I thought you were going to be picky or something. No problem.......I'll get right on it. Oh, which leg do you want shot first and how much should the pig weigh?

:roll:

:blah:

:wink:
    Yes. For science. I want to see if you can make an A Max blow up.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    You are assuming he hasn't already tried that?????????????????????????????????:wink:
    jbohio wrote: »
    Yes. For science. I want to see if you can make an A Max blow up.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    You are assuming he hasn't already tried that?????????????????????????????????:wink:

Oh yes.............we have............
  • bmlbml Senior Member Posts: 1,075 Senior Member
    ........I tried to get my phone camera set up behind the scope to take a pic.....

You used your phone to take those pics? If so, you seriously suck dude.
    bml wrote: »
    You used your phone to take those pics? If so, you seriously suck dude.

The pics looking through the scope were taken with my phone. The others were with a normal camera.
  • bmlbml Senior Member Posts: 1,075 Senior Member
    The pics looking through the scope were taken with my phone. The others were with a normal camera.

Ok, that is a satisfactory answer. Us mere mortals feel better now. :tooth:
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,696 Senior Member
    If I get to shoot another deer this year, I'm probably gonna use the .280 Remingon with the 162gr A-Max. Reason being, we've seen the high and low end of impact velocity. Might as well cover the middle as well.

That would get my vote, as the data would be most generic for the masses.

When I gave my dad his gift-wrapped double .45-70, he dug out his copies of the Jim Corbett Omnibus to help us get in the mood. Corbett was a white hunter living in Northern India in the first half of the 20th Century who is best known for killing about a dozen man-eating tigers and leopards that were terrorizing the populace. Like Bell in Africa, Corbett used the 7x57 (under the guise of ".275 Rigby") as his lightweight walkin' around rifle, and killed a fair pile of dangerous game with one. This of course long pre-dates any of the super duper, bonded core, plastic tipped wonder slugs.

Goes to show that you don't need a million grains of lead, a bore you can drive a car through, or a bullet with warp engines.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    What I find cool is that the temporary cavity and hydrostatic shock of this bullet at that speed was enough to blow a chunk of lung out the exit hole.

The deer just dropped on impact and rolled to her right. There was no thrashing about or kicking. The lights were just switched off without a central nervous hit.

That, is the result of hydrostatic shock. The shock wave traveling through the body was enough to disrupt the nervous system and temporarily paralyze the doe and drop her. Then, the damage to the respiratory system (lungs) and circulatory system (heart) was enough to make death quick in loss of blood pressure and oxygen. Quick enough that the doe succumbed to her wounds before she was able to come out of the temporary state of paralysis.

THAT, is an effective bullet and a quick kill with little meat damage.

I am well pleased.
    You know, on further study, this kill is a REALLY interesting contrast with my deer from October 2012.

Basically the same size animal. My Munchkin buck was about 85 pounds when hanging from the hooks with no guts, skin, or legs.

Basically the same shot - in the right side and out the left. My bullet hit about the same height on the deer as yours, but a couple inches farther forward, penetrating through the rear third of the heart.

Basically the same distance. 140 yards in my case.

Close enough to the same bullet diameter and weight - .30 caliber and 168 grains in my case.

Same starting mental state - deer was unaware.

Major differences then are bullet design (mine, a Barnes TTSX expanding solid copper) and velocity (2900fps at the muzzle)

Mine took somewhere between 5 and 10 seconds to keel over and traveled about 5-10 yards in a staggering circle. The holes were essentially bullet diameter going in, quarter sized through the heart, and half-dollar/silver dollar sized coming out.

We both got through-and-throughs and entrance/exits not hugely dissimilar (a little bigger in your case). I've got to figure that your deer's instant thud reaction was more down to hydrostatic effects from the speed of that RUM than how our respective bullets 'shroom out.

IIIIIIINTERESTING. Gotta love the morbid sciences!
    WWJMBD?

• USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    IIIIIIINTERESTING. Gotta love the morbid sciences!

+1 My hunting experience is limited to whitetails and hogs using a 30-06 with factory Hornady softpoints. I find these threads about other calibers and bullet choices fascinating.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
    USUFB wrote: »
    +1 My hunting experience is limited to whitetails and hogs using a 30-06 with factory Hornady softpoints. I find these threads about other calibers and bullet choices fascinating.

Which is why I don't drink the 1 cartridge for everything concept. It's no fun!!! I enjoy experimenting and learning about new cartridges and bullets. It's the driving force behind what I do.
    cpj wrote: »
    Well, that and you're a little "off".

Well, there is that too.

The science behind causing death intrigues me.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Which is why I don't drink the 1 cartridge for everything concept. It's no fun!!! I enjoy experimenting and learning about new cartridges and bullets. It's the driving force behind what I do.

Same. I can't fathom just busing 1 gun for everything. It's just not terribly exciting. I mean I understand why many people who hunt do just that. It ain't cheap to feed and stable X number of guns outside of your primary focus weapon/game needs, but those of us around here clearly don't take issue doing exactly that.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    The science behind causing death intrigues me.

This is a shocker for sure! :)
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Which is why I don't drink the 1 cartridge for everything concept.

Contrary to popular belief, neither do I. I only SEEM fixated on the .30-06 because the San Diego Wild Animal park would probably frown on what I have in mind for the OTHER rounds. . .
    WWJMBD?

• USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member

My "1 gun for everything" has been based on necessity. Now that I have my first real job after college, and can buy stuff, I plan on experimenting. Next up is my AR with either Nosler Partitions or Barnes TSX.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member