Home Main Category Clubhouse

Cabelas threw me under the bus

HAWKENHAWKEN Senior MemberPosts: 1,720 Senior Member
I got a Cabelas flier that listed a .44 cal, 1851 Confederate Navy pistol, with an extra cylinder, for $169.99, ( before y'all start, I know the only Confederate Navy 1851 pistol was a .36 cal ), So I ordered it. They were supposed to ship it via the USPS, so my problem was how to get it into the house, past the inquiring eyes of TKOTCB. My neighbor, George, agreed to hawk my mail box for the package notification, then go to the post office, pick it up, and hold it until it was safe. Tuesday the 24th, UPS delivered it to the house. Guess who signed for it. I have a feeling that this is going to cost me something that is shiny, made of metal, and a rock, and is expensive. On the plus side, the pistol is beautiful. Fit and finish are excellent, and it feels good in my hand. I can't wait till it warms up, and I can try it out. The cold does things to my fingers, making them stiff and sore........Robin
I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    I have a feeling that this is going to cost me something that is shiny, made of metal, and a rock, and is expensive.
    Hopefully not.

You can always tell her it is your gift to yourself for successfully surviving another year :tooth: :roll2:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    You just bought a Christmas present for yourself. Yeah, that's it! You bought your own Christmas present!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    This will help Robin.......................

Dear Robin.
    Thanks for ordering the 44cal 1851 Confederate Navy Pistol with the extra cylinder. When I saw it in the Cabelas flyer I thought it would be great to get someone in the USA to order one so that I don't turn up at Jerry's for the SE next year empty handed.
    I will reimburse you for the cost of the pistol when I call in on my way to the SE in May. In the meantime I would like you to check the pistol over and fire it to make sure it functions as it should . Could you also put between 3-500 rounds through it to ensure that the barrel is 'broken in' properly.
    I appreciate your kindness in helping me obtain this gift for Jerry as I have run out of ideas to repay him for the hospitality he has shown me in the past.

Thanks again, please give your lovely lady my kind regards for the hospitality she showed me last year when I turned up unannounced to visit you. You certainly picked out a fine, generous good looking lady to share your life with my friend.

I hope the new year is good to you both and look forward to seeing you in May.

Kind regards

Alec ( AKA Orchidman)

ps: I may not be able to attend in 2014 so I may have to call upon your generosity to hold the pistol till 2015.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,827 Senior Member
    A little burning black powder should loosen up those stiff fingers!!
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    This will help Robin.......................

Dear Robin.
    Thanks for ordering the 44cal 1851 Confederate Navy Pistol with the extra cylinder. When I saw it in the Cabelas flyer I thought it would be great to get someone in the USA to order one so that I don't turn up at Jerry's for the SE next year empty handed.
    I will reimburse you for the cost of the pistol when I call in on my way to the SE in May. In the meantime I would like you to check the pistol over and fire it to make sure it functions as it should . Could you also put between 3-500 rounds through it to ensure that the barrel is 'broken in' properly.
    I appreciate your kindness in helping me obtain this gift for Jerry as I have run out of ideas to repay him for the hospitality he has shown me in the past.

Thanks again, please give your lovely lady my kind regards for the hospitality she showed me last year when I turned up unannounced to visit you. You certainly picked out a fine, generous good looking lady to share your life with my friend.

I hope the new year is good to you both and look forward to seeing you in May.

Kind regards

Alec ( AKA Orchidman)

ps: I may not be able to attend in 2014 so I may have to call upon your generosity to hold the pistol till 2015.

Now that's a friend!:beer:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    Reminds me of the "Gun Running" thread a member wrote some years back. It was flippin hilarious and in the tradition of Pat McManus only better. Can't remember the dudes name.
  • Miss MaryMiss Mary Senior Member Posts: 733 Senior Member
    First law of holes Robin.....When you find yourself in one, stop digging! (And tell that scamp from NZ to stop helping, too!) :nono:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I wonder what would be worse for you, an iron skillet up side the haid or being pistol whupped with a .44 :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    A big thank you, to all of my friends. Especially Alec, a true southern gentleman, for such a fine offer. TKOTCB didn't seem to be all that upset over my indiscretion, lol. Chances are getting better that I will be able to attend the 2014 SE shoot. Monday I walked 380', with a walker, at rehab, and I am getting stronger. I will certainly bring that new hog leg, along with a few other smoke poles. Your obedient servant, Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    A big thank you, to all of my friends. Especially Alec, a true southern gentleman, for such a fine offer. TKOTCB didn't seem to be all that upset over my indiscretion, lol. Chances are getting better that I will be able to attend the 2014 SE shoot. Monday I walked 380', with a walker, at rehab, and I am getting stronger. I will certainly bring that new hog leg, along with a few other smoke poles. Your obedient servant, Robin

Robin,

All of us are unbelievably proud of your recovery achievements. I have no doubt you will be there and walking on your own, carrying that .44 cal BP pistol.

Enjoy it !

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member

That is excellent news Robin. Keep up the good work my friend.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    Robin, Sounds like you're getting more better each day! Keep it up, and make the Shoot! Get out and shoot that pistol as the weather allows, and break it in good!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,922 Senior Member
    I'm another that hopes to check that new .44 in the spring. Looken forward meeting you in person.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5