Home Main Category Clubhouse

Got a tractor

rberglofrberglof Senior MemberPosts: 2,656 Senior Member
Local guy sold me a tractor and it runs good.

winteramptractor054_zpse9be8d33.jpg

winteramptractor055_zps6fb239c2.jpg

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,706 Senior Member
    Nice, now you need a plow for the front
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,727 Senior Member
    Looks good, and about the right size.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    OK, it's bigger than a Cub- - - - -looks like an A or maybe a C? The steering wheel and the seat on a Cub is offset to the right. Looks well-preserved for an old rig!
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    That's a golden oldie. Good tractor, too. Let 'er warm up a bit before working it in cold weather; those gas burners need to get the fluids warmed up for good circulation just like the diesels. Looks like when spring rolls around you'll be ready to put in a garden for sure!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,656 Senior Member
    Teach it's a 300 and has always been stored inside, the guy I bought it from was the second owner.
    I have it parked in the barn now.
    Tennmike it came with an cultivator but will not be getting that until spring.
    It has 2730 hours on it.
  • dlddld Member Posts: 412 Member
    you need to enclose that cab or your going to freeze some thing off
  • drsfefadrsfefa Member Posts: 407 Member
    That is very cool!
    Responsible CCW is a lifetime commitment to Avoidance, Deterrence, and De-Escalation.
    I had a Ford 8n tractor when I lived out in the country. My brother in law purchased it (on our dime) in Canada, where it was used when we bought it to shovel snow at a filling station just up from Detroit. I still miss that old iron.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    Food plots:applause:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    I need a tractor right now! Just talking about buying one at the breakfast table this morning!

All 'yall tractor fellas tell me what to get to farm 2-3 acres of vegetable garden and citrus trees. Gotta be used....ain't paying a new tractor price! My tractor experience was with an old Fordson that my Grandad would let me run only with a harrow in the cultivated fields, and later a 1950 Ford tractor with rubber tires. I need something small but a workhorse. Jerry? Mike? Anybody?

And while we're at it.....I've GOT to have another PICKUP TRUCK to replace my Dodge 2500 that I've just rolled over 370,000 miles on! I don't need anything that big with 4X4 any longer. I want a small truck, extended cab, 2X4, 3/4th ton payload. kinda like the looks of a Toyota Tacoma. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    We just got a Farmall M for the hunting shack, it did a good job plowing soil with lots of clay and it pulls down 14-16' spruce quite nicely, don't forget to make sure your chain is longer than your tree is tall, as DeanC found out. I lobbied hard for a Ford N, I am a little chicken to get the Farmall out in the woods and get stuck, I think the Ford would be better in tight places.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    2005 Tundra, like mine....

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    rberglof wrote: »
    Local guy sold me a tractor and it runs good.

Sweet! I assume the chains were included? I priced tractor chains a couple years ago, and talk about sticker shock!
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,396 Senior Member
    This is you...
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg%3B-rear-blade-7-ft

Woods, I went through the same thing a few years ago. Ended up buying new. 2-3 ac is not enough to get anything large enough to save any money on. Meaning that small tractors that would work, are all priced high or beat to death. If you want a 90 hp you can get them cheap, but you could never use one.

I ended up with a Mahindra. They built jeeps for us in WW2 and IH went to them in the 60's to build tractors in the east. They are the largest AG tractor supplier in the near east, and that includes big Greene.
    FYI there is no American made tractor under 90 HP. Mine is badged indian, built in south Korea by the company that builds JD transmissions, with American ROPS, loader, wheels, tires, and electronics.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    Find a Ford 9N, usually around $2000 always one in the paper around here.
  • hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 742 Senior Member
    A word of caution on that style/size of bucket on an older ag tractor, it works good on dry, light snow but take it easy on heavy, wet snow or dirt. Your front spindles are the weak point and won't carry a lot of weight. Experience can be an expensive teacher.

Hawk
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,292 Senior Member
    Ford 8N's are plentiful. So are parts. I have my Grandfather's. If you get an 8N, try to get one with a side mount distributer and a round coil. I think they start with the 1949 or 50 year model. The square coils ain't cheap I hear. You should be able to get a good 8N for between $2000-$3000.

One problem though with the N series is they have a live PTO. If you plan on using a mower/bushhog get an override clutch that fits on the pto shaft. It'll keep you from running over/into stuff.
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Sweet! I assume the chains were included? I priced tractor chains a couple years ago, and talk about sticker shock!

The chains were included and are in good condition.
    hawk18 wrote: »
    A word of caution on that style/size of bucket on an older ag tractor, it works good on dry, light snow but take it easy on heavy, wet snow or dirt. Your front spindles are the weak point and won't carry a lot of weight. Experience can be an expensive teacher.

Hawk
    The bucket has the snow extension, our snow has low water content so is pretty light.
    In the spring I want to cut a path for my shooting range and will remember your advice and will of course remember to remove the extensions.
    I sold my 8N 25 years ago for $2000, IIRC. It had gear with it, a bushog and a disc harrow. They're big around here for restoration and showing, but so are others of that size. I don't remember how many HP it had, but it wasn't a great deal. It didn't need a lot with low gearing. It was a great tractor. My BIL rebuilt the engine, and IIRC we paid about $800 for it without the tools...except a scraper blade. Live TO can be a problem until you get used to it continuing to move you forward when you don't want to.
    drsfefa wrote: »
    That is very cool!

Thanks David, good to see you posting again.
    I need a tractor right now! Just talking about buying one at the breakfast table this morning!

All 'yall tractor fellas tell me what to get to farm 2-3 acres of vegetable garden and citrus trees. Gotta be used....ain't paying a new tractor price! My tractor experience was with an old Fordson that my Grandad would let me run only with a harrow in the cultivated fields, and later a 1950 Ford tractor with rubber tires. I need something small but a workhorse. Jerry? Mike? Anybody?

And while we're at it.....I've GOT to have another PICKUP TRUCK to replace my Dodge 2500 that I've just rolled over 370,000 miles on! I don't need anything that big with 4X4 any longer. I want a small truck, extended cab, 2X4, 3/4th ton payload. kinda like the looks of a Toyota Tacoma. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

A Toyota Tacoma extended cab would do what you want, and there are a lot of used ones around, it seems. I bought a Tacoma without the extended cab this past Jan. and like it a lot. Got more power than I expected, and will haul a good load, or pull a good deal with the trailer.

For a tractor, one of the older 2 cyl. Ford diesels like the 1700 or 1900 series would do what you want. Or the same size Kubota or Mahindra. You don't live too far from Dothan, AL. Got any friends up that way? They have a HUGE auction of farm equipment up there regularly, and lots of used tractors for sale on the lots year round. Worth the trip up there to have a look-see; there's lots of dealers in the area.
    ― Douglas Adams
    dld wrote: »
    you need to enclose that cab or your going to freeze some thing off

I have been thinking about that but didn't need one today, was almost 40 deg.
  • agewonagewon Senior Member Posts: 655 Senior Member
    I'm green with envy. My buddy has an older ford down at my cousins horse farm. I've donated lots of hours moving manure just to play on a tractor.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Rich, I've got a 1936 Allis-Chalmers WC sitting out behind the barn- - - -is that "used" enough for ya? :tooth: It's pretty simple- - - -hand cranked engine, and the brakes are a couple of hand levers mounted out at the wheel hubs! Oh, BTW, it's a dual fuel rig- - - -starts up on Gasoline and runs on Kerosene. I'll bet it would run on Ol' Huntin' Camp, too, but it would be a shame to waste good shine that way!
    Jerry
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Mike, I need to talk to you asap. You've got a private message.
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    My daughter and son-in-law have the EXACT same tractor.
    Right now they're looking for the bars to convert the IH Quick-Connect to a standard Heim mount 3-point.
    He's already converted theirs to 12v electrics.
    IH only made that unit two years, '55 & '56..
    40 horse gas engine.. too small to run a baler, but will easily handle a 2-bottom plow, or 8 disc harrow..
    get the rear wheel weights, and the loader will handle 750lb rounds.. but you need to stab them with ALL the forks, or fab a mount for a more conventional bale spike..
    http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/3/1/318-international-harvester-300.html

I bought a tractor last fall, but mine is Green
    IMG_20130426_201440_zpsf012f74e.jpg
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
    Mike, I need to talk to you asap. You've got a private message.

Got it. You've got mail!
    ― Douglas Adams
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Nicely done. You can do a lot of work with a tractor that size. When I got my 27 acres of paradise, I found a Kubota 2350, 4 X 4, with a front end loader. Now I have added a bush hog, a blade, a DR road grader and a one bottom plow. You will enjoy...........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO