Home Main Category Clubhouse

A&E caves

MichakavMichakav Senior MemberPosts: 2,732 Senior Member
As they should have to protect the freedom of speech.

Unfortunately, they 99% caved because they knew it would cost them a whole crap load of money. Which is quite comical because they thought it would cost them to not cave.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/a-e-welcomes-phil-robertson-667647
«1

Replies

  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,732 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    This was NEVER a freedom of speech issue. Never.

    Explain. I believe i'm following, but want to make sure.
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    cpj I disagree. I think it was all about free speech. A&E didn't believe in it and the rest of the country did.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    This was NEVER a freedom of speech issue. Never.

    Correct....still nice to see 'em wake up and maybe learn a thing or to/two/too/tu/2.....Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    This was NEVER a freedom of speech issue. Never.

    :that: This was an economics/capitalism lesson. Never get crossways from your customer base. Freedom of speech applies when the government infringes your rights, not your boss.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    :that: This was an economics/capitalism lesson. Never get crossways from your customer base. Freedom of speech applies when the government infringes your rights, not your boss.

    :applause::win:
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    They should have jumped to another network.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    They should have jumped to another network.

    Probably had their nads in a sling with a contract. You know, non competition type deal. At least that's what I would have if I signed the biggest show in the history of TV...
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    This was NEVER a freedom of speech issue. Never.

    Agreed. I wish they wouldn't have caved so soon.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    They should have jumped to another network.

    Yeah, they would have to formally fired to get out of the contract. Not that they, or anyone else would've cared. There a re probably several other very butthurt cable networks out there right now just praying the Duck Dynasty crew would be released so they could scoop them up. In fact, direct rating capital analysis aside, you know damned well that A&E was ware of how fast the cast would be scooped up and how merely symbolic (and fiscally moronic) letting them go would be.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Is this the same motley crew?

    https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/duck-dynasty

    We have them over here? :silly: :yawn:
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    This was NEVER a freedom of speech issue. Never.

    Correct.
    Biggest publicity stunt of the year.

    1. First, there was the "quit talking about God and Jesus. You're offending people."
    What people? People that don't watch the show to begin with?

    2. Then there was the fake 'bleeps'
    Inserted by producers to make it seem like the language was coarse.

    3. The GQ interview was published in OCTOBER. WHILE THE SERIES WAS ACTIVELY FILMING.
    They waited until they had it IN THE CAN, to "hiatus" Phil.

    There was never any "issue" other than keeping people interested in the show until they can begin airing Season Five.

    It would not surprise me to find out Jesse Jackwads comments were likewise "scripted."

    I saw through this whole mess after about a day.
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    This was NEVER a freedom of speech issue. Never.

    Bingo. He was not jailed, prosecuted, or denied his rights. I don't get why so many fail to grasp this. Everyone who works for any type ofcorporation, go request a copy of your employee handbook, the one you most likely glanced over and signed. It is a binding contract you agreed to follow in order to get paid. The DD crew has one, too. You cannot be jailed for saying to your assistant "you look better in those low cut shirts" but you CAN be fired, because you agreed to a sexual harrassment policy. See the difference? You have the right to keep and bear arms, and you may have a ccw that allows you to carry, but your employer has a no weapons policy on company grounds. Not arrested, but fired, if you bring your weapon to the office. Now, here is where people who may get this, but stilldon't get the DD thing, are getting confused.

    The vast majority of people in the media business (which tv stars are, its a form of media entertainment) have very long, detailed, specific contracts on how to act, or what to say, when in public or addressing a media outlet . Example, any actor playing James Bond, is not allowed to wear a black tux in public, if it not pertaining to an event directly related to James Bond events, because that black tux is a trademark look for the character. I could wage a hefty bet Phil was walkking the line of his contract with A&E, because there almost has to be a clause about how he conducts himself while participating in any form of public media. If A&E is retracting their statement, it is most likely because their lawyers had time to review his contract and discover if he did or said something in violation.

    TL:DR -
    Washington Post writer says Obama is a crook and is jailed - violation of free speech

    Washington Post writer says Obama is a crook and is fired - not a violationof his rights, if his contract outlined he was not allowed to say that as a representative of his company.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,732 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    This was NEVER a freedom of speech issue. Never.

    I am following now after some other responses. I get that they didnt violate his freedom of speech.

    I really don't care all that much about the whole situation, but thought it rather funny that they caved so quickly. I am starting to think along with some of you in that this whole thing may have been rather scripted.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    A&E's sole responsibilities are to comply with FCC regulations, deliver audience share to their advertisers, and profits to their owners/stockholders. If you don't like the way they do business, then BUY A&E and make all the changes you want. Enjoy. Otherwise, MYOB, and watch another channel.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    :that: This was an economics/capitalism lesson. Never get crossways from your customer base. Freedom of speech applies when the government infringes your rights, not your boss.

    Exactly...the First Amendment is in place to protect POLITICAL speech...something folks often forget.....Robertson's OPINION was not political in nature...therefore not a Freedom of Speech issue...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    Y'all DID KNOW that during that infamous interview that there was an A&E rep there the whole time? Ya didn't? How come the A&E rep didn't speak up? BTW, having a representative present at such interviews from an outside source is sort of SOP for these kinds of things. A&E is as much to blame for the whole affair as anyone.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Y'all DID KNOW that during that infamous interview that there was an A&E rep there the whole time? Ya didn't? How come the A&E rep didn't speak up? BTW, having a representative present at such interviews from an outside source is sort of SOP for these kinds of things. A&E is as much to blame for the whole affair as anyone.

    No such thing as bad press.......
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    No such thing as bad press.......

    Anthony Weiner might disagree with that statement! :rotflmao:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Y'all DID KNOW that during that infamous interview that there was an A&E rep there the whole time? Ya didn't? How come the A&E rep didn't speak up? BTW, having a representative present at such interviews from an outside source is sort of SOP for these kinds of things. A&E is as much to blame for the whole affair as anyone.

    Link?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    There is a difference between wrong and stupid. A&E did nothing wrong by 'suspending' Phil...but they did do something stupid. I posted before, but it bears repeating: All they had to do is to let the whole world know "Phil doesn't speak for us" and we most likely wouldn't be talking about it anymore. As things stand, A&E gets the worst of all worlds. Their employees will be somewhat emboldened by the events of these past few weeks, while their customer base isn't likely to be happy no matter which 'side' they may be on.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    This was NEVER a freedom of speech issue. Never.

    Oh YES it was! Don't get me wrong, I do agree with you on the fact that A&E caved in fear of losing millions upon millions of $$$. However!... the real issue is that people of moral character have had enough of the homosexual assemblage trying to censor every individual (including those in media or the entertainment industry) with bullsheet legislation or banishment who vehemently disagree with their lifestyle choice. Don't know your view but I'm sick and tired of decent people being charged with the absurdity of some kind of bleepin "hate crime" everytime someone speaks out in opposition to homosexuallity. I count this as a win.
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    :that: This was an economics/capitalism lesson. Never get crossways from your customer base. Freedom of speech applies when the government infringes your rights, not your boss.

    Wrong.

    You're sitting in the company break room at work, on lunch and off/on the clock. Your boss walks in and sees you reading a mainstream newspaper. He happens to despise this paper because he's of the political opposition and FIRES you. What do you do? Do you cower down without a fight with your tail between your legs and go to the un-employment line thanking him because "... well, it's HIS company after all" ...OR ...do you hire an attorney and sue his a$$ because he wrongfully terminated your career job and violated your First Amendment rights?
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    Wrong.

    You're sitting in the company break room at work, on lunch and off/on the clock. Your boss walks in and sees you reading a mainstream newspaper. He happens to despise this paper because he's of the political opposition and FIRES you. What do you do? Do you cower down without a fight with your tail between your legs and go to the un-employment line thanking him because "... well, it's HIS company after all" ...OR ...do you hire an attorney and sue his a$$ because he wrongfully terminated your career job and violated your First Amendment rights?

    Well it is his company and if that was against the rules well you are done. Kind of like a woman coworker comes in and you tell her she has a set of legs that are to die for. you tell her what you would like her to do. That is your right to free speech?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    Wrong.

    You're sitting in the company break room at work, on lunch and off/on the clock. Your boss walks in and sees you reading a mainstream newspaper. He happens to despise this paper because he's of the political opposition and FIRES you. What do you do? Do you cower down without a fight with your tail between your legs and go to the un-employment line thanking him because "... well, it's HIS company after all" ...OR ...do you hire an attorney and sue his a$$ because he wrongfully terminated your career job and violated your First Amendment rights?

    You are wrong.........

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment

    Unless you can prove discrimination (nearly impossible for a white male under 50), a lawyer wouldn't even take the case.

    Find me one case where anyone won a 1st Amendment case against an employer....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    No one's first Amendment rights are being violated when your boss fires you for reading a paper in his building. There may be other means of redress, but I doubt any lawyer would take such a case unless you pay him a lot up front. I think some people need to become familiar on what the Bill of Rights was designed to do...i.e. limit GOVERNMENT'S intrusion into rights. Not your boss's intrusion into your actions, since they're not rights.

    If you want to see a limited policy of speech, try posting something vile here on this board. It will be, and should be, removed immediately.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    Some folks just don't get it. Know your audience.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    2. Political Views
    Some, but not all states have laws prohibiting discrimination based upon political affiliation. But in most situations you can be fired because you exercise your right to free speech and express political opinions. Only government employees have First Amendment rights. The one big exception is that the National Labor Relations Act says you can't be fired for discussing working conditions, including discussing which candidates would be best for working conditions. For more information about political discrimination, you can check out my blog post on the topic.

    http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/11/19/8-ways-employers-can-discriminate-against-workers-legally/
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    Some folks here need to read up on sexual harassment laws.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    Some folks here need to read up on sexual harassment laws.

    And those differ from state to state......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement