Home Main Category Clubhouse

A&E caves

2»

Replies

  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »

    Okay. I'm your boss and I just fired you from your career because I don't like ie: liberals/conservatives/libertarians.
    Boss: ..."No hard feelings okay. You were a hard worker; I just can't stand your political leanings. Oh yeah, good luck with those house and car payments."
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    Is this the same motley crew?

    https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/duck-dynasty

    We have them over here? :silly: :yawn:

    We don't like them because the show is good, or because they are good actors, or even because they are good gun handlers (they aren't). We like them because they represent freedom, in the American sense. They don't bow to political correctness, they stick together as a family, and their show, despite having all the fake drama and idiocy that all reality shows have, depicts people doing what they want to do without hurting anything except the feelings of a few professional whiners.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member
    Okay. I'm your boss and I just fired you from your career because I don't like ie: liberals/conservatives/libertarians.
    Boss: ..."No hard feelings okay. You were a hard worker; I just can't stand your political leanings. Oh yeah, good luck with those house and car payments."

    Maybe morally wrong..... but perfectly legal (in most states).
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    And those differ from state to state......

    I see that they are very lax in Tennessee.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Okay. I'm your boss and I just fired you from your career because I don't like ie: liberals/conservatives/libertarians.
    Boss: ..."No hard feelings okay. You were a hard worker; I just can't stand your political leanings. Oh yeah, good luck with those house and car payments."

    I can fire someone because I don't like what shirt they wore that day.
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    If you want to see a limited policy of speech, try posting something vile here on this board. It will be, and should be, removed immediately.

    Oh come on. We're not talking about threatening bodily harm or some other criminal act, the disscussion is simply about ones political affiliation and/or religious beliefs (or even lack of) in the work place, entertainment industry etc. Let's keep it on track. Anyway...

    (Here's something) Boss: "btw John Doe, I found out your religious/non-religious beliefs from a co-worker last week and I have to fire you from your career position as a iron worker. I just don't like religious/non-religious folks. Remember Mr. Doe, you're an at will employee."
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    Oh come on. We're not talking about threatening bodily harm or some other criminal act, the disscussion is simply about ones political affiliation and/or religious beliefs (or even lack of) in the work place, entertainment industry etc. Let's keep it on track. Anyway...

    Discussing religion can get you banned here right quick.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • bmlbml Senior Member Posts: 1,075 Senior Member
    Oh come on. We're not talking about threatening bodily harm or some other criminal act, the disscussion is simply about ones political affiliation and/or religious beliefs (or even lack of) in the work place, entertainment industry etc. Let's keep it on track. Anyway...

    (Here's something) Boss: "btw John Doe, I found out your religious/non-religious beliefs from a co-worker last week and I have to fire you from your career position as a iron worker. I just don't like religious/non-religious folks. Remember Mr. Doe, you're an at will employee."


    I believe religion is one of the handful of reasons you cant fire someone. However, all he has to do is fire him for something else. Maybe he just doesn't like the way the guy smells. It doesn't really matter.
    scottd wrote: »
    The milk of human kindness is often out dated and curdled.

    This is like watching a bunch or **** trying to hump a door knob.....
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Maybe morally wrong..... but perfectly legal (in most states).

    But the key question jbp is what would you do if that happened to you? Would you just shrug it off, or ...would you try to fight it with legal action and if so what would be your argument?
  • bmlbml Senior Member Posts: 1,075 Senior Member
    As an aside, if it is a privately owned business, the owner should be able to fire you for any reason he wants, or no reason at all. It is, after all, his business. For example, if the owner of my company decides he wants to fire me for being a bald, Christian, white, cranially endowed and stunningly good looking man, then that should be his prerogative. His company, after all.
    scottd wrote: »
    The milk of human kindness is often out dated and curdled.

    This is like watching a bunch or **** trying to hump a door knob.....
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Then I'll sue you for discrimination.
    The first amendment protects citizens from the government. Not from other citizens.
    Is there recourse for the employee described in your example? Yep. Gonna be a hard fight though. In Missouri, and employer can fire an employee "at will". Just like an employee can quit "at will". No reasons need be given from EITHER side.
    Now saying I fired you "because of_______", the employer is setting himself up for a lawsuit. However if he keeps his mouth shut, good luck with the lawsuit.

    Some states have their own laws, but on a national level if it's not on this list there is no protection..... (unless you have a contract)

    http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/index.cfm

    doc_109_big.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bmlbml Senior Member Posts: 1,075 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Yeah. And he should be able to fire you for telling falsehoods, too.

    Well, I was trying to be modest. Perhaps I shouldn't have have understated myself so much, but I'm not one to flaunt it and all that. Just sayin'
    scottd wrote: »
    The milk of human kindness is often out dated and curdled.

    This is like watching a bunch or **** trying to hump a door knob.....
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Then I'll sue you for discrimination.
    The first amendment protects citizens from the government. Not from other citizens.
    Is there recourse for the employee described in your example? Yep. Gonna be a hard fight though. In Missouri, and employer can fire an employee "at will". Just like an employee can quit "at will". No reasons need be given from EITHER side.
    Now saying I fired you "because of_______", the employer is setting himself up for a lawsuit. However if he keeps his mouth shut, good luck with the lawsuit.

    Thanks for the great reply. I'll continue tomorrow, been up all night working graves. Later.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member

    (Here's something) Boss: "btw John Doe, I found out your religious/non-religious beliefs from a co-worker last week and I have to fire you from your career position as a iron worker. I just don't like religious/non-religious folks. Remember Mr. Doe, you're an at will employee."

    That is on the list (Equal Opportunity Act)......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Yep, he can do that. And be sued for discrimination. NOT a violation of his first Ammendmant rights.
    The flip side is....he can fire the guy...just because. Not give his true reason. And the guy is......still fired.

    And you better have witnesses and'or proof of that. You have to prove it in court.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    That is on the list (Equal Opportunity Act)......

    Fair enough. I'm done for today, work tonight-dead tired-hitting the rack. Later all.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member
    But the key question jbp is what would you do if that happened to you? Would you just shrug it off, or ...would you try to fight it with legal action and if so what would be your argument?

    It did happen to me.


    I did go to a lawyer.

    He flat out told me, "Unless you are member of a 'protected group' (race, gender, age in that order by easiest to win), you will NEVER win a lawsuit, you will NOT get your job back. The reason they fired you does not matter unless you can prove with documentation or witnesses that it was discrimination (listed on EOA)."
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Wrong.

    You're sitting in the company break room at work, on lunch and off/on the clock. Your boss walks in and sees you reading a mainstream newspaper. He happens to despise this paper because he's of the political opposition and FIRES you. What do you do? Do you cower down without a fight with your tail between your legs and go to the un-employment line thanking him because "... well, it's HIS company after all" ...OR ...do you hire an attorney and sue his a$$ because he wrongfully terminated your career job and violated your First Amendment rights?

    When I used to work at the coaster factory, the boss would probably have been thrilled to discover that I COULD read the paper, unlike a great many of my co-workers,(Lots of folks from Mountain City, for those of you who know Tennessee). Not to mention the fact that as it was a very low paying job, I would not have had the resources to hire a lawyer. Especially since the odds of my winning the case would have been exceedingly low, because of all the reasons already listed. My cousin's step-son was fired from the factory he was working in for comments he posted in his blog about his "idiot" supervisor. He even tried to enlist help from the ACLU, no dice. Pretty much everyone told him, "Lesson learned, look for a new job and keep your mouth shut."
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member
    When I used to work at the coaster factory, the boss would probably have been thrilled to discover that I COULD read the paper, unlike a great many of my co-workers,(Lots of folks from Mountain City, for those of you who know Tennessee). Not to mention the fact that as it was a very low paying job, I would not have had the resources to hire a lawyer. Especially since the odds of my winning the case would have been exceedingly low, because of all the reasons already listed. My cousin's step-son was fired from the factory he was working in for comments he posted in his blog about his "idiot" supervisor. He even tried to enlist help from the ACLU, no dice. Pretty much everyone told him, "Lesson learned, look for a new job and keep your mouth shut."

    ?

    roller-coaster-19.jpg or cork-coasters-set-of-six.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    ?

    roller-coaster-19.jpg or cork-coasters-set-of-six.jpg

    Option 2. Every time you go to Olive Garden, those card stock coasters that go under your drink. Used to work at the plant here in Tennessee that made them. At the time we were the only ones in the U.S. that were making them. Shipped millions of the little buggers every month.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    It did happen to me.


    I did go to a lawyer.

    He flat out told me, "Unless you are member of a 'protected group' (race, gender, age in that order by easiest to win), you will NEVER win a lawsuit, you will NOT get your job back. The reason they fired you does not matter unless you can prove with documentation or witnesses that it was discrimination (listed on EOA)."

    For some reason I think you're now making stories up. Anyway... what were the circumstances jbp?
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    For some reason I think you're now making stories up. Anyway... what were the circumstances jbp?

    I would bet a Python that he is not.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    We don't like them because the show is good, or because they are good actors, or even because they are good gun handlers (they aren't). We like them because they represent freedom, in the American sense. They don't bow to political correctness, they stick together as a family, and their show, despite having all the fake drama and idiocy that all reality shows have, depicts people doing what they want to do without hurting anything except the feelings of a few professional whiners.



    Sorry mate but wimmen ain't the oldest profession.
    They can do all what you say they can do but not in my sitting room.

    Buffco wrote: »
    I can fire someone because I don't like what shirt they wore that day.

    Hitler.:tooth:
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member
    For some reason I think you're now making stories up. Anyway... what were the circumstances jbp?

    First off, kiss my lilly white arse....... I've showed you a multitude of links showing how wrong you are. No need to make up anything.

    When I worked at a chemical plant, my shift followed a 55yo woman. She could not do the job (no strength or mechanical ability). She had 11 big spills in 13 months (I kept track). She was loading a railroad car on a friday and was to weak to tighten the bag filter housing and a few thousand pounds went into the drainage ditch. I mentioned it to 2 people when I came in on afternoon shift. Monday they wrote me up with time off say I spilled it loading a truck.

    She was never written up for any of her spills (at least 50 in the 10 years I worked there). Lawyer said she was female and over 50. Two protected classes. Good luck getting them to blame her for anything.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    First off, kiss my lilly white arse.......

    Is that an open invitation?

    Asking for a friend...
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Is that an open invitation?

    Asking for a friend...

    Only with the beard....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement