Home Main Category Hunting

Cover scent

HAWKENHAWKEN Senior MemberLogansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa FloridaPosts: 1,720 Senior Member
I remember seeing a two part cover scent, that smelled like a skunk had just sprayed. Both vials were inert, with no, or little odor, but when combined, smelled exactly like a skunk. Does anyone remember who made it, and if it is still available? Someone has placed a stand 10' East of my property line, facing my property. It is obvious that they intend to shoot a deer on my property. I want to help them out by placing a cover scent all around their stand......your obedient servant, Robin
I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Don't know of that two part stuff. But if you go to a Bass Pro Shop they sell 1 oz. bottles of Tink's skunk cover scent. It's FULL strength stuff! Just pour it around the stand and, if it's a ladder stand, on the ladder rungs. Guaranteed to get the attention of the person in question!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Bro. Hawken....

You may try this, and it will give you good results if you don't mind doing it:

Get a cheap $15.00 hand sprayer from wallyworld and put a gallon of diesel fuel in it. Spray some on the trees and ground on your side of the property line for about 100 feet where the stand is. Look good on your side of the line for some corn poured out too. Don't be surprised if you find corn piled up. Spray this, too! The odor of the diesel will last about a week, and whoever put the stand up will quickly get the idea and move on! I speak from experience! (Spraying diesel, that is. Not from putting up stands along someone's property line!)
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,826 Senior Member
    What kind of stand? It would be terrible if some very hot pepper juice got spread over the rungs of his ladder.........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Swampland, FLAPosts: 5,100 Senior Member
    A nice big pile of dog poo smeared all over his stand.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,826 Senior Member
    Poopapult..........

catapult-e1368551950476.jpg?w=300&h=233
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Get a big bag of hair from your barbershop (before it's washed) and spread it all around the stand area. Nothing like giving the deer a little advance warning they've got company! If it's a portable stand, it needs to follow you home. A permanent stand doesn't work well if the tree it's attached to gets some attention from a chainsaw.
    Jerry
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Franklin, Ky.Posts: 3,767 Senior Member
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Humm, why dog? Might as well make it personal! :devil:
    Beat me to it. Nothing send the message of "you'd better turn you stand the other way" like a grump-a-lump purged gently and with love in the middle of the seat.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,402 Senior Member
    Just build a stand 20' west of his...............facing his property. :tooth:

Seriously though, have you contacted the property owner to discuss the issue with him and expressed your concerns over the placement of the stand.?
    That would be my first action and depending on the outcome I would consider other means if the matter isn't resolved to my satisfaction.

Edited to add: Starting a 'war' with the neighbours by sabotaging what has been placed there could lead to all sorts of future problems.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Had a similar situation back in the late 90s with a guy that put a ladder stand up about 10 feet from the fenceline. Back then AOL and other internet providers were sending out CDs weekly trying to get you to sign up for their dialup service. I hung about 100 of those things from fishing line in the trees all through the woods in and around the deer trails. The deer hated them and avoided the place like the plague. The smallest breeze made them spin and flash. He moved his stand to another area well within the neighbor's property.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    This year's season only has 5 days left. The problem might resolve itself until at least late September 2014 when the archery season opens. It might be possible to leave a note on the stand explaining where the property line is, and that targeting game on the other side of the fence will be frowned upon! A well-secured trail camera pointed at the stand from a safe distance might reinforce the warning.
    Jerry
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Logansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa FloridaPosts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Alec and Jerry, I did contact the owner of the property, in question, and she sided with the one that placed the stand. I later learned that he is her employer, so it is not surprising that she sided with him. Hopefully, I made enough noise that this won't happen again, next year, as our season is over..........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO