Home Main Category Clubhouse

Looks like a done deal: orders to Ohio coming!

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,148 Senior Member
...and I'm pumped. The day I finally put Las Vegas in the rear-view mirror can't come soon enough and with the relocation cycle I fall into, it will be coming about 6 months earlier than expected!

Long story short, I put my name in the hat for a job opportunity at Wright-Patterson AFB, near Dayton, Ohio, that will give me a big next step toward a promotion to Lieutenant Colonel when my primary eligibility board comes around in 2016. While I was elk hunting in Colorado, I got a call from my boss while I was in the field saying that my name had moved to the top of the list and was being circulated at the command level. His only remaining question at that point was if I still wanted the job. I gave him a resounding "yes," so barring any unforeseen catastrophes, my family and I will have new digs sometime around June. Best of all, this puts me a doable 8-hr. drive from my parents and sister, a luxury I haven't had since I lived in Pennsylvania back in 2002 before I joined the Air Force and long before my parents became grandparents.

From a lifestyle standpoint, it looks like I'm going to have some excellent deer opportunities locally, as well as bobwhite quail, woodcock, rabbit, squirrel, waterfowl and pheasant. I'm also in a great central hub location to make some moderate length trips to Western PA or Wisconsin for ruffed grouse and some great trout/fly fishing opportunities. At a glance, it also looks like I'll be close to a whole new batch of G&A forum members, too, as Michigan, Illinois, Tennessee and, of course, other locations in Ohio will be at my fingertips.

Oh, and if you're curious, yes, I have already started Google map scouting prospective hunting locations. :tooth:
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,108 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    ... as Tennessee .........will be at my fingertips.

The above words jumped out at me when I read your post .................:win:

Great news Luis. Pretty certain I wont be able to make it to the SE next year.................but hopefully you will be able to. You will have a ball................just don't be the first one to fall asleep at the sat night campfire.............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,572 Senior Member
    Welcome to the neighborhood! WPAFB is about an hour from me. It'll be a bit farther when I move, more on that later. Anyway, I'm excited for you, the career opportunities, and hopefully meeting sometime.
    FWIW, Greene county produces some monster bucks, and one of the biggest whitetails, ever.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    Welcome to the neighborhood! WPAFB is about an hour from me. It'll be a bit farther when I move, more on that later. Anyway, I'm excited for you, the career opportunities, and hopefully meeting sometime.
    FWIW, Greene county produces some monster bucks, and one of the biggest whitetails, ever.
    That will be awesome. We'll definitely have to make some time once I settle in. I got to thinking about it and realized that I also have to visit Canton, of course, to see the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

As for deer hunting, I always knew Ohio was a monster whitetail state, and with no rifle season, I'm actually very excited to start taking my archery hunting a lot more seriously. I have read that it's nearly impossible to get private land access in Greene or Montgomery counties, but that the available public land can be excellent. Sounds a lot like Iowa. I saw some cell phone pics from a guy in Iowa who exclusively archery hunted public land and he had some dandy bucks in there. I am REALLY excited for my poor dog who has not nothing but barren experiences trying to quail hunt here in Nevada.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,156 Senior Member
    This one survived gun season......

1506046_712671605424739_218479100_n.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    From a lifestyle standpoint, it looks like I'm going to have some excellent deer opportunities locally, as well as bobwhite quail, woodcock, waterfowl and pheasant. I'm also in a great central hub location to make some moderate length trips to Western PA or Wisconsin for ruffed grouse and some great trout/fly fishing opportunities. At a glance, it also looks like I'll be close to a whole new batch of G&A forum members, too, as Michigan, Illinois, Tennessee and, of course, other locations in Ohio will be at my fingertips.

Not to mention your disposable income will increase. The cost of living here is much lower than LV......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,572 Senior Member
    Excellent. My new place has acerage, and will have a goodly sized rifle range. Way out in the sticks.
    My GSP sorely needs one of his cousins to run with, my lab can't even begin to keep up!
    Ohio is really a bowhunters paradise, the gunners only get 10 days, bowhunters get 4 months.
    Excellent. My new place has acerage, and will have a goodly sized rifle range. Way out in the sticks.
    My GSP sorely needs one of his cousins to run with, my lab can't even begin to keep up!
    Ohio is really a bowhunters paradise, the gunners only get 10 days, bowhunters get 4 months.

And muzzleloader season is in January when it's cold as heck and most guys stay home in front of the fire.
    cpj wrote: »
    We can give you directions to Jerrys house. Hell, I can have two thugs kidnap you on their way to his place, if need be.
    :tooth:

Congrats on the move and promotion!

No promotion yet, but this job is a major piece of the puzzle involved in getting there. In the meantime, I'm definitely planning on making the shoot this year. What month is it usually?
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    This one survived gun season......

Yowzers! That's what I'm talking about. I could eat off of that big boy for a good long time!
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Not to mention your disposable income will increase. The cost of living here is much lower than LV......

Yes, indeed! And I'm positive that my car insurance rates will drop precipitously once I get clear of the moons we have around here.

That will be excellent. My dog is still young and insanely full of energy. He will run up a mountain (and has done just that) if you let him. That said, he is disciplined as they come when he knows there are birds to be had and did extremely well when I took him to Nebraska. Time to team these pups up and see what we've got.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    We will be back up hunting the public land just northwest of Sanford, MI next fall for Michigan's rifle opener (November 15th). We would be glad to have you.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    The shoot is Memorial Day weekend.

Saturday May 24th............
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Good for you! Hope you have greater hunting opportunities and your family prospers.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Jermanator wrote: »
    We will be back up hunting the public land just northwest of Sanford, MI next fall for Michigan's rifle opener (November 15th). We would be glad to have you.

Wow - even that's within driving distance. We'll see where the road goes this coming year. That may have to happen and thanks for the offer.
    Zee wrote: »
    Good for you! Hope you have greater hunting opportunities and your family prospers.

Thank you, kindly!
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,456 Senior Member
    Very happy for you!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    The one good thing about the Army/military is you usually get to change locations every few years. That can be good or bad, but in your case it looks good fer you and your family.

Now, the UFO hunters swear on TV that WP AFB has a NAZI saucer-hovercraft there and the remains of little green men in a secret hanger...we want pics.....:jester:

Congrats on your upcoming PCS and I think you will be exchanging your gold oak-leaf clusters for silver in a couple years :usa::usa:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Congratulations on receiving the assignment that you desire/need to punch your promotion ticket. It also sounds like a better place for you and your family when off duty. What a great way to say HAPPY NEW YEAR. Hope you can make it to the SEShoot this spring.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    Congratulations!! I'm about an hour north of you on I75. Suppers on me when you get moved in..

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Congrats, Luis! DC is also an easy day trip from WP, so the DC Crew (me, Rimfire, alpha, Vic) expects to meet you when you come for the requisite sight-seeing!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,706 Senior Member
    Oh well, there goes the neighborhood.:usa:
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,669 Senior Member
    Congratulations on your upcoming promotion and move to a more desirable location.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,070 Senior Member
    We can give you directions to Jerrys house. Hell, I can have two thugs kidnap you on their way to his place, if need be.
    :tooth:

Congrats on the move and promotion!
    Pierre, he's a MAJOR in the USAF, I doubt an attempted kidnapping, even if desired by the kidnapee, would end well :nono:

Glad to hear you're going to be closer Luis, you know you still have an open invite :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Great news! We've got family in the area, Mary's sister, and we visit her occasionally. Their father retired from WPAFB after running the aircraft sheet metal shop as a civilian employee from WW II to the early 1970's. He was the "go to" guy Chuck Yeager asked for when he needed any kind of specialty work done on the experimental planes he flew. The Air Force Museum there is at least a 2-day tour- - - -impossible to see everything in any shorter time. See ya soon!
    Jerry
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Pierre, he's a MAJOR in the USAF, I doubt an attempted kidnapping, even if desired by the kidnapee, would end well :nono:

I know a few OSI types and might be paid-- er, persuaded to put a fix in so's the paperwork might get misfiled...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,823 Senior Member
    Awesome!! Do you still get to fly??
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    Congratulations and best of wishes with your promotion.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Congratuations Major. You will enjoy your new assignment. The midwest people are great, they are friendly, willing to offer a helping hand, and their core values will be good for your family. I grew up in North central Indiana, so I know about the fantastic hunting and fishing oppertunities, (there are salmon and walleyes in the great lakes). They have huge whitetail deer, phesants, bobwhite quail, timber doodles, (some call them woodcock), cotton tail rabbits, ducks, and squirrels, all of which make for good memories and good groceries..............Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Sounds like a good move for a lot of good reasons! :up: Being within driving distance of the SE Shoot is also a plus.

(Psst......Get us a pic of that Roswell UFO. :tooth:)
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,890 Senior Member
    Congrats on all things working out. Come June if your travel plans take you out I-80 let me know, if the timing is right I can meet you in-route for lunch dinner or whatever.

Sako
    Some warm and welcoming replies. Thanks to you all! It seems like I'll have no shortage of adopted family to go visit when the time comes and I'm going to do my best to see as many folks from here as time allows. My previous tour in the far west end of the Midwest (Nebraska) was excellent. I loved the people and the outdoor opportunities. While the winters suck and I'm not looking forward to shoveling snow again, I AM looking forward to what those winters bring with them in the form of an actual deer season that you can hunt on an annual basis and plenty of upland hunting to boot. It's been far too long now since I had that at my fingertips.

As for the Roswell UFO dude, if he's still living there, I'll be sure to get a picture of me fist-bumping him.

Oh, and Tom - if I do make it through Illinois on the way out there, definitely expect a call. It was really cool when you and the Mrs. did the same on your way through Nebraska.
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,941 Senior Member
    Congrats on the move. I'm also about 1 hour north on 75. When you get settled in let us know and will give you the names of some good gunshops and shows in the area. :beer:
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
    bhl2506 wrote: »
    Congrats on the move. I'm also about 1 hour north on 75. When you get settled in let us know and will give you the names of some good gunshops and shows in the area. :beer:

Thanks! Definitely must-know info right there!