Home Main Category Clubhouse

NFL playoffs and gripe department

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
So, which teams that you cheered for missed the bus?

Well, the Texans didn't even find the bus schedule, went 2-14 in a stunning series of failures. It's been said that a team on the slide will find new ways to lose, and that generally defined the Texans in 2013. Most of the time however they stuck to their tried and true methods: crucial penalties that either stopped their drives or helped the other team sustain, and QBs making interceptions that were so well played they seemed rehearsed.

Now if your team is mediocre, like the Bills or the Jaguars, you hope for a season above .500 with nice looks to next year. But the Texans started out hot, predictions of possible Super Bowl, having been into the playoffs 2 years and superb personnel. I won't get into the many reasons why they failed but the only solution seems to be a total remake, keep the "Texans" license plate, keep about 7-8 players (JJ Watt, etc), and tow away the remainder, coaching staff totally. Sigh.

Sorry to see the Steelers fall away. They had a bad start and couldn't recover after that. Also sorry to miss the Vikes in the playoffs.

And although they didn't have playoff-level teams, I rooted for the Bears and the Browns. Now if Cleveland could just come up with a nice logo for their team, maybe better next season?

As to my faves for the playoffs, the KC Chiefs (KC is my home town) are definitely whom I'll be rooting for. I figure they can take the Colts but after that, a tossup.

The 49ers are also a fave (I used to live in SanFran during the Joe Montana era, wow), but I also like their opponent, the Packers. Should be a good game.

Super Bowl? Mmmm.... I'll guess Broncos over 49ers in a terrific contest.

So... your season gripes and successes? Predictions?

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    So, why not have a consolation game for the two teams with the worst record for the season? They could call it the "Toilet Bowl"
    :tooth:
    Jerry
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    I'm an native Philadelphian and lifelong Eagles fan, so therein lies the extent of my loyalty for the season. They have a very slim chance of navigating the incredibly tough gauntlet of NFC teams alongside them in the playoffs, but stranger things have happened. The Giants came into the playoffs as major underdogs twice in recent years and won it all both times.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    So, why not have a consolation game for the two teams with the worst record for the season? They could call it the "Toilet Bowl"
    Jerry
    I've been advocating this idea for years - they could even play it in a special stadium with a high rise hotel built onto one end. Ya know what that would look like... :jester:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,825 Senior Member
    I didn't expect The Pack to win the NFC North, after Rogers went down. But they hung in there, and Detroit and Chicago self destructed like the do every year. Just beating the Bears is as good as winning the Super Bowl. The 49ers will be tough, but they are playing at The Frozen Tundra, and it looks like it's going to be COLD this weekend!!
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    The Cowboys failed me again this year. Romo is a decent quarterback, but an inconsistent running game and horrendous defense did them in this year, just like last year. :cuss:
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,712 Senior Member
    USUFB wrote: »
    The Cowboys failed me again this year. Romo is a decent quarterback, but an inconsistent running game and horrendous defense did them in this year, just like last year. :cuss:
    :that:
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 354 Member
    Our Seahawks up here have had a good season and I think they have a good shot at the big one if they can execute without badly timed penalties or turnovers. The media seems to ignore them in spite of their 13-3 season. We'll see.
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

Texans and Redskins.. 2-14, 3-13
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Go BUCS :tissue::tissue:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    I didn't expect The Pack to win the NFC North, after Rogers went down. But they hung in there, and Detroit and Chicago self destructed like the do every year. Just beating the Bears is as good as winning the Super Bowl. The 49ers will be tough, but they are playing at The Frozen Tundra, and it looks like it's going to be COLD this weekend!!

Big, I seem to remember some study of NFL games played between cold climate outdoor teams and warm or enclosed teams, and the stats don't show any significant advantage for the team used to cold.

Anyone know about this study?

I'm guessing that the cold does help a team used to it but not that much, not enough to tilt the win/lose outcome. They've got pretty good preparation nowdays for the warmer teams and the other factors (skill, luck, good play) probably outweigh the weather factor.
    cpj wrote: »
    I don't care who wins the SB, as long as it's NOT the Chiefs. There's waaaaay too many ****, errr, rabid Chiefs fans around here. I LOVE seeing them cry like little girls when the chiefs choke. Like they always do.

Well, first of all, to "choke" you've got to have success to fall from and for years the Chiefs haven't had a win record that could merit choking. After their big turnaround, if they get beat in the playoffs, that doesn't in itself constitute choking. That would be blowing a big lead or similar. Remains to be seen what happens.

Chiefs fans aren't crybabies at all -- you been listening to Rome too much? Now the champ crybabies are the Cowboy fans, followed closely by the Saints, 49ers (those fans who still think Montana is the QB), and the 2 Nuu Joisey teams, maybe the Falcons too.

Sent from my memory of SB IV at Tulane Stadium. What fun.

Cowboys (Arlington Mookids) are the most prima donna team in the NFL. They're also quite good but are, as you say, inconsistent. I get a bit tired of the "America's Team" mentality.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,756 Senior Member
    Broke Back Mountian and Dallas have something in common. They both have Cowboys that suck!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,825 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Big, I seem to remember some study of NFL games played between cold climate outdoor teams and warm or enclosed teams, and the stats don't show any significant advantage for the team used to cold.

Anyone know about this study?

I'm guessing that the cold does help a team used to it but not that much, not enough to tilt the win/lose outcome. They've got pretty good preparation nowdays for the warmer teams and the other factors (skill, luck, good play) probably outweigh the weather factor.

When the temps get really low I don't think either team has an advantage, nobody likes it that cold, and it looks like it could be around zero this weekend. It seem though, there are fewer penalties called, the refs don't want to be on the field any longer than they have to, and their whistles freeze up!! But, it's a game and for entertainment, 'cause what ever happens, the world still keeps on turning!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,934 Senior Member

+1. The 'boys lost two games (Detroit and Green Bay) due to the defense collapsing late in the game. In the Eagles' game, it was the defense that held up, for a change, and the offense that blew it. Like Sam said about the Texans, seems they just found ways to lose.

I would like to see a Seattle - Denver Super Bowl, but you never know. As good as Peyton is, his playoff record is not the best. I can't fault him for last year's loss to the Ravens, as it was the Broncos' secondary that gave the game away. Maybe they will get their act together this year and go all the way.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    But, it's a game and for entertainment, 'cause what ever happens, the world still keeps on turning!

How true, how true. Fans sometimes go ballistic over their team's win or loss. I try to remember the old newspaper 1-panel comic about sports, the image was a guy in bathrobe at breakfast and starting to code out when he reads the sports scores. The caption was "The players on your favorite team don't go into a coma when you've had a bad day."

In other words, as you recommend, take it with a grain of salt. Sure, I like my home team to win and enjoy this. A winning NFL franchise also brings revenue to a city, a proven fact. But my life and happiness don't depend on such. If they win, great. If not, meh.

I've got a couple of faves this playoff but all I really want is some good, exciting games. Most sports people say that the 2nd week of the playoffs brings the best football, but we've also been blessed with some excellent SuperBowl games in recent years. I'm just gonna kick back and enjoy. Thankfully my girlfriend is a big NFL fan too, so we zone out on the sofa and snack ourselves into bliss.
    Chiefs were undefeated for quite awhile this year. Then lost. I call that choking. No matter how good they do, they don't make the Super Bowl.

Mmm, not as I'd rule "choking" -- the had the highest undefeated record in quite a while till they lost, then they played less skillful for the remainder of the season. But they made the playoffs and that isn't choking.

The Texans were the ones needing the Heimlich. And the Cowboys.
    Our Seahawks up here have had a good season and I think they have a good shot at the big one if they can execute without badly timed penalties or turnovers. The media seems to ignore them in spite of their 13-3 season. We'll see.

I think this is the standard flyover country mentality by major sports coverage. But you see plenty of coverage for the Saints (waaay too much), the Mookids, GreenBay, etc. So in NFL sports writing and shows, the teams don't have to be 1) east coast, 2) west coast to be covered, but Seattle always seems to slip past the commentators, despite being a damn good team. I don't know why either.
    The only good thing about the Texans season is the emergence of JJ Watt as a team leader and his ascendance into national coverage. We've seen many local articles about him and he's the real deal, genuinely decent guy who during his first season as pro, formed his own kids' charity, plus he works with several others, and is tireless in his hospital visits, etc. There have been a few stories where he's been out shopping, hundreds of passersby descent on him for autographs, and he patiently takes time to chat with everyone -- this I've heard personally from 3 people in addition to the news stories. What a guy.

Once in a long while, you see a top athlete, someone who makes the game exciting, and who is also a true and honorable person. Ol' JJ is one of them.
    A team can win every game they play in a season, then lose the Super Bowl. Once they lose the big game, no one gives a rats rump about their record. Which will precisely be the case with the Chiefs.

Well, you can apply that judgment to ALL the teams but one, then, if "choking" is losing a game. By your definition, if a team doesn't win the Super Bowl, it's trash time. Not so, I think. I don't know how the Chiefs will perform but if they're beaten by a better playing team, that's just the way the banana bends, and in no way constitutes a "choke".

But in fact, lots of fans and others care very much about the record of a team that doesn't win the SB. ALL teams but one "lose the big game" at one time or another, but a team that's been out of it can perform very well, showing improvement, and finish with a respectable record. Such as the Chiefs, who've not seen the upside of a postseason in ages, and are at least playing in the finals, even if they don't go too deep.

But why specifically point out the Chiefs? They at least have made the playoffs, one of 12. If you wanna talk about choking, look at those who'll be sitting home.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,159 Senior Member
    Seems like every Monday, the NFL was on the news admitting the officials blew one or more calls effecting the outcome of the game...... :roll:
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    The texans stellar 2-14 record doesn't indicate a choke. It indicates they suck.

Disagree. Compared with the last 2 seasons and all expectations, the team was supposed to be headed up, not to the cellar. I think they just got constipated somehow, or choked. Remember, they played quite well those prior 2 years, improved all positions, and were ready to move deeper into the playoffs. Not.
    Yeah my Browns pretty much repeated the same story that they've been replaying with slight variations every season since they got back in '99. etc etc

Browns and Steelers had much the same sort of season, some very good games but left you wishing for more consistency. Firing the coach may have been an overreaction, however, I agree.

Texans have signed former Penn State coach O'Brien. A new broom, hopefully, and someone to help put fire into the team. Now if there were any quarterbacks available...
    cpj earns the NFL prediction this playoff round, because as he predicted, the KC Chiefs choked, losing to the Colts 45-44 after the Chiefs had led 38-10. This is a genuine choke game so my hat's off to cpj for getting it right.

I was silent witness to the destruction to at least one person as a result of the biggest comeback in NFL history. Known in the NFL as "The Comeback," it's the biggest reversal of points for any game.

Jan 3, 1993, Houston Oilers vs Buffalo Bills, at the half, Houston 28-3, but at the end, Buffalo 41-38.

I was watching the game in a popular sports bar here in Houston, and I happened to get a prime corner seat at the bar. The tavern was packed of course, and fans were screaming each time the Oilers scored in the 1st half.

I knew the owner of the bar quite well. He'd already bet a substantial amount earlier on the game, and I don't mean a couple hundred. I'm talking thousands, bet that the Oilers win, no point spread, and bet with a bigtime local bookie whom I'd met, Vegas connected guy and you know what that means.

I was of course cheering at halftime with everyone else, but Mike had a more serious task. I overheard him, myself sitting on a barstool just across the bar where Mike stood. He called the bookie at halftime and asked to triple up on all his bets. Naturally, to change the bet amount mid-game, Mike had to accept odds, but that didn't matter because the Oilers were sure to win.

Of course, what happened was that Mike was forced to take out high-interest loans on the tavern he owned outright, to pay his gambling bet. Trying to jump a bet with those guys was not advisable. So Mike went deep into the red, and with the NFL season soon over, and a modest amount of college basketball the only draw, patronage at the bar fell off, as it usually does for a sports bar after NFL season. So Mike's gross income dropped and he defaulted on several loans, losing ownership of the bar.

Betting rules: 1-Never bet on the come, 2-Never bet what you cannot afford.