Home Main Category Hunting

The freezer is full! Pork and venison on the menu......

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 8,108 Senior Member
Spent a good day hunting with Bloodhound and my other buddy GB last week.

Due to other commitments, we were late getting to the spot I had scouted earlier in the week so it was full daylight before we got into position. We set up on a small knoll overlooking a valley with the sun at our backs and a 10-15knot wind blowing from right to left.

After glassing the area for about 10 minutes with no sign of any animals, BH spotted a deer ( A doe) wandering out into a small clearing on the opposite side of the valley. Although we were after a particular Buck I elected to take the shot and attempt to fill my freezer.

Settling down behind the T3 7mm08 and draping myself over a small hump in the ground I calculated all the variables and placed the cross hairs on target. Had to wait a couple of minutes while she wandered back and forth between trees, but she eventually stopped broadside on and I sent the shot on the way with BH 'spotting for me. At the hit the doe crumpled on the spot.

Immediately 6-7 more deer, including the buck we were after jumped up from where they had lain concealed in a hollow and departed the scene!!!!!! Dont you hate it when that happens :bang:

With BH talking me in to where she dropped ( dont you love hand held walkie talkie's) I found her belly up DRT. A quick field dress and she was ready to be carried out.

Here is a pic of where she fell looking back to where the shot was taken from..............( the red dot) Range was measured at 234yds. Load used was Varget pushing a 140gr sierra. Bullet entered centre of the shoulder and destroyed the heart before exiting the off side.

takhorangejammyspigdeer010.jpg

And here she is all dressed up/out ready to go home for dinner......

takhorangejammyspigdeer007.jpg

While I carried her the 3k back to the jeep, BH & GB continued over into the next valley and although they saw more animals they were unable to get a shot.

We returned to the same area later in the day and staked out the next valley around 3.30pm ( visibility across the valley was up to 500yds) in the hope that BH and GB would score.

Again, sitting on the side of the hill with the sun behind us and a strong crosswind we glassed the opposite side of the valley. After spending 90mins looking we drew a blank. I moved about 4' to my left to see around a small tree in front of me and after looking at the opposite slope ( through the bino's) till my eyes watered I took a break.

I then looked down into the bottom of the valley and saw a deer curled up at the base of the hill.
124 yds away and it had been there the whole time judging by the fact that it was asleep!!!
I pointed it out to BH and as he was adjusting his scope ( from 300 to 100) I kept watching it.
I saw a bit of movement about 15 yds this side of the deer and out trotted a hog....... I hissed a warning to BH and raised my the rifle. ( one of the reasons we picked that spot was we had seen 2 hogs in the area when scouting and wanted some fresh wild pork)

The hog kept moving towards the scrub at the head of the valley while BH was trying to see over the small trees and then stopped behind some scrub with only his snout showing. I held just in front of his snout and waited to see who would 'blink' first....( the hog, BH or me lol)
The hog then started moving fast and as it came out from behind the tree I fired. I was sure the shot was good but BH said ' you missed' as it started running. We only saw glimpses of it between the trees but as it ran into a small cleared area it reared up, ran in a circle and fell over.
Again BH 'talked' me onto it. I didnt realise how big it was till I got closer and when I tried to hang it from a small tree to gut it BH called me on the radio and said "What the hell are you messing around with it for, put your back into it" When I told him I could only get its head and shoulders of the ground he made his way down.

My biggest hog yet!!!!!!!

takhorangejammyspigdeer018.jpg

Here is a close up of its jaw........Not exactly a trophy in some eyes but to me it is.

takhorangejammyspigdeer023.jpg

Range of the shot was 115yds and at a 31 degree angle downhill. Bullet entered low down on its left hock ( it must have had its leg back when I fired) and shattered its heart. Man, those 140gr sierra's are the bee's knee's.

We ended up dragging it between us about a kilometre to a track where I could pick it up with the Jeep.

234 yds is the longest shot I have ever taken on a deer ( as I prefer to try and stalk in) and while it may seem a 'chip shot' to some of you, the range coupled with my own loads gave me a buzz that will be remembered for a while. The hog, its size and the circumstances of the shot were just the perfect end to an awesome day.

Mmmmmmm. Bacon wrapped venison back steaks are definitely on the menu..............

Did I mention how much I :love: the T3........:tooth:
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Hey that was all cool, good read, and good for you on the shot on the deer and taking your biggest hog.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    You keep making me want another Tikka everytime you post a picture of that rifle.

That's a sweet hog. Congrats!

Edit: Especially now that B&C makes a Medalist stock for them.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,108 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    You keep making me want another Tikka everytime you post a picture of that rifle.

Edit: Especially now that B&C makes a Medalist stock for them.

Fairs fair.

You keep making me want to find a wife and have kids every time you post pics of you and your young un's.........

...........er..........wait a gold darn picking minute.........are you trying to 'enable' me into a new stock?:tooth:

( Thats on my maybe list for my next visit to your shores)
    orchidman wrote: »
    Fairs fair.

You keep making me want to find a wife and have kids every time you post pics of you and your young un's.........

...........er..........wait a gold darn picking minute.........are you trying to 'enable' me into a new stock?:tooth:

( Thats on my maybe list for my next visit to your shores)

Yes, that was a subliminal message for you. But, if I ever get another Tikka, I will assuredly be getting the B&C stock. I miss mine, but it went to a good home. As soon as I posted the above, I looked at the Tikka site to see what cartridges might be chambered that I 'needed'. Unfortunately, nothing piqued my interest.

On a side not, a new stock for your Tikka is much cheaper than a wife and kids. :silly:

(Even if it doesn't have the life long satisfaction of a family. Just trying to help.)
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Gotta love going two-for-two! Great shooting, Alec. You know I'm loving my T3 and it shoots like a dream, but it hasn't had a chance to take anything like what you did there.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Looking good, Alec! You're becoming quite the marksman! Some of our guys who kill paper in the next time zone might scoff at those ranges, but I've never found a good recipie for ground-up bleached wood pulp!
    Jerry
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,070 Senior Member
    Well done my friend :worthy:
    orchidman wrote: »
    234 yds is the longest shot I have ever taken on a deer ( as I prefer to try and stalk in) and while it may seem a 'chip shot' to some of you, the range coupled with my own loads gave me a buzz that will be remembered for a while.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you, A successful hunt using ammo you crafted yourself gives a unique type of satisfaction that folks using factory ammo will never know
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I can't wait to shoot something with my own handloads. Never done that before.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    I can't wait to shoot something with my own handloads. Never done that before.

It makes it even better
    Amen to that Mike.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    Neat...Nice meat deer, great hog, good shootin...what more can a fella ask for in a day?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Best trip the "grocery store" ever!

deer, pigs, goats, sheep, tahr, chamois, elk......man I really need to get over there!!!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Best trip the "grocery store" ever!

deer, pigs, goats, sheep, tahr, chamois, elk......man I really need to get over there!!!

Well.............I have accomodation, guys up and down the country that would be willing to take you after Tahr/chamois, no need to bring any firearms, you can borrow mine,..........plenty of 70yr old port, a whole bunch of friends (provided both of them are home), the charter boat should be back in the water by december..........

What are you waiting for.............
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    to sell my car and have money lol
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,706 Senior Member
    Alec, you have a paradise over there hunting.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Dude... you suck so bad!!! :jester: Just color me green with envy.

BTW, VERY nice shot on that first one!! 200+ yds is nothing to sneeze at. :up:

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Nice hunt! Bacon wrapped venison steaks sounds like some good eats, too! And taking the game with your handloads makes it the best, for sure. You have a good start on filling the freezer with stuff fit to eat!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    I am 3 1/2 weeks from opening day of muzzle loader.......I will have trouble getting to sleep now thinking of all the fun you people are having!!!!!! Nice kills and congratulations.