Home Main Category Hunting

Eagle Feeding

NNNN Senior MemberPosts: 25,008 Senior Member
It was quite foggy this AM and still so at 1000; but I went out looking for ducks.

I found a flock of Ruddy Ducks across from the boat ramp on one of the local creeks and managed to get in close enough to get a 3 shot double. I then farted around looking elsewhere, no other ducks.

I then went back and the flock was back, but, closer to a long mud flat. So, I did a sneak and they swam up toward the mud flat and finally flushed
onto the mud flat and according to the plan, but, could not find the way out because it extends into a swamp. They came back at me about Mach II and almost over the boat. I swung on them and got two for one shot, then fell down. I had to shoot one again and was farting around getting the motor started to pick them up, when a Bald Eagle swooped down and snatched one of the ducks.

I mean why my duck?

Replies

• MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    30 second rule? If you don't get it within 30 seconds, it's fair game (pun intended).
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I mean why my duck?

I always ask "Why my chickens?"

baldy.jpg
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,008 Senior Member
    It was a pretty bird though .
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    That would have been a cool thing to have seen.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,432 Senior Member
    Ned just validated the basis of the steel shot law. If he had shot that duck with lead shot, it would have poisoned the eagle!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Ned just validated the basis of the steel shot law. If he had shot that duck with lead shot, it would have poisoned the eagle!
    And you can't break the teeth either cause they just rip off pieces and swallow it whole.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,432 Senior Member
    Probably a tree hugger out there now trying to shoot it. Then they can disect it and prove it has lead poisoning
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,280 Senior Member
    While on a canoe trip in the Boundary Waters in Ely, Minn. We built a live well by pilling rocks along the lake shore so we could save our fish catch and use them as needed. We saved small mouth bass, northern, and the best eating fish, walleye. Somehow, the walleyes always wound up missing, but the other fish were still there, so we figured something was stealing them. I hid in the woods and watched the live well, turned out the culprit was a bald eagle, and it also knew which was the best eatin' fish!!
    That's funny Al
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,814 Senior Member
    The symbol of America is a thieving scavenger. Go figure.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Ben Franklin wanted the wild turkey. Said it was smarter.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    The symbol of America is a thieving scavenger. Go figure.

One of them picked off all fourteen of my chickens in a month and a half.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Owls like chickens too
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I've seen the eagle flying around the pasture and last weekend it was sitting in the oaks next to the front yard where the chickens used to live. I've got to string some netting over the front yard before I buy any more chickens.
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    You need a tar chicken
    Was worried about the eagle today, thought he might get the last duck of the season today.

Had trouble lining up a kill shot on a cripple without hitting the body.

4 days left, but, I expect to have hard water with this cold snap.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    I always ask "Why my chickens?"

baldy.jpg

Damn, I thought that was Buffy's line...........
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,276 Senior Member
    Was worried about the eagle today, thought he might get the last duck of the season today.

Had trouble lining up a kill shot on a cripple without hitting the body.

4 days left, but, I expect to have hard water with this cold snap.

4 Days left of your duck season?

Whats the tally so far Ned?

Ours starts the first weekend in May...........maybe we should have a 'squirrel' type comp? I will put up a bottle of port if you are interested................provided Clean lets you consume 'strong likker'
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    29, they seemed to mostly pass us by this year
    Base game wardens said the same thing.

2 years ago I got one, last year 99. You just never know.

I ain't going up against you in any hunting contest, period.

Won't be making the shoot this year.
    29, they seemed to mostly pass us by this year
    Base game wardens said the same thing.

2 years ago I got one, last year 99. You just never know.

I ain't going up against you in any hunting contest, period.

Ok, so when does Bald Eagle season open and do you need a stamp? :tooth:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Ok, so when does Bald Eagle season open and do you need a stamp? :tooth:
    You do understand this hunting is done on a stream running through a USMC Air Station, they put me in the brig at GITMO
    and say it was for rum running back in the day not eagle shooting.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    So you lose a duck, that had to be quite the thing to see.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    You do understand this hunting is done on a stream running through a USMC Air Station, they put me in the brig at GITMO
    and say it was for rum running back in the day not eagle shooting.

So, that ain't such a bad deal, free room and board for a while(Think of it as a tropical vacation), you give Clean a break for a couple years, and then when you get back there's one less bald eagle to deal with........:jester:
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 491 Member
    They've stolen my fish quite a few times while on the ice. For those who may not be real familiar with ice fishing, we usually drill a bunch of holes in an area and then hole-hop. The action dies down a bit at one hole, we hop to another, eventually another...and often leave the fish caught next to previous holes, pick them all up later. Well, the eagles figured that out real quick. We'd initially walk out, see no eagles at all...then fire up the auger and voila'...they're perched in the tree tops watching us, just licking their chops. Like ringing the dinner bell.

They were a little timid at first but end up swooping in pretty close if you turn your back for just a second. Amazing how silent a huge bird like that can be.

In open water when the Ospreys are around we see them fighting over fishing grounds. Eagles are much bigger but the Ospreys will still lock talons with them fighting over a catch and it'll look like an oblong ferris wheel tumbling through the sky. Pretty amazing sight.
    So, that ain't such a bad deal, free room and board for a while(Think of it as a tropical vacation), you give Clean a break for a couple years, and then when you get back there's one less bald eagle to deal with........:jester:
    Hey, did you miss the part about being there in the past; I don't need to go back.
    cpj wrote: »
    Say what ?
    Yep, noticed your the only member here that can read the fins print.

Someone thinks it is too far to drive after going to Wis in May and going to a wedding in Md in June.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,276 Senior Member

This saddens me Ned. I also wont be there this year unless there is a major change in my circumstances.

But if I do manage to come over in May, tell Clean I will stop by and drive you both to Jerry's in the rental.......

That way , you both can relax and enjoy the scenery.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Nice gesture Alec, but, either I come in our 4x4 or I don't. Independence Ya know.
    Hey, did you miss the part about being there in the past; I don't need to go back.

Yeah I read that, but I thought you were just kidding. Hey, we have few eagles around here. Now and then you see a bald eagle out it the boonies, but when you do it's such a big deal nobody thinks about him stealing your ducks. But we have those pesky brown pelicans and they will sure steal your speckle trout right off your stringer.
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 347 Member
    Maybe you and the baldie could go in for a deal, maybe a retriever service. You shoot the duck, he fetches the duck. Cut the duck in half, start over. You could call it falconry but its much harder to tame the wild bird.
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19