S&W tells Cali to pound sand too....it begins.

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,096 Senior Member
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,650 Senior Member
    Where did they tell them to go pound sand?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,422 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »

That sure sounds like "pound sand" to me.

Mike

And I agree. Rem and Fed now need to step up to the plate, although they have a lot more $$ at stake. But still......it's only California. Why base your fiscal strategy upon your enemies whims?
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,656 Senior Member
    Smith & Wesson announced it will stop selling its handguns in California rather than manufacture them to comply with the new microstamping law.
    Sounds like "pound sand" to me
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Sounds like a good business decision to me. Although I would love to hear then tellem to off, or go pound sand.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,218 Senior Member
    Sounds like a good business decision to me. Although I would love to hear then tellem to off, or go pound sand.
    While this message wasn't quite that blunt, the Ruger executive's SHOT Shot statement was pretty damned close. He called them out publicly for exactly what they are: a lying bunch of do-gooders who are doing everything possible to end gun sales in Cali all together, save for LEO and military purchases.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Hopefully the manufactures will not sell to the LEO side either.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Ronnie Barrett knows how to tell someone to off. If they wanted to make a good point they would pull their firearms instead of waiting for them to drop off the list.
    I hear the Ruger and S&W are suing the state, this is good.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Ronnie Barrett knows how to tell someone to off. If they wanted to make a good point they would pull their firearms instead of waiting for them to drop off the list.

Unfortunately his products are not as widely used as a Glock is.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    Why doesn't California require every gun to have a micro stamped firing pin? Require everyone to change their existing pins to stamped pins?

Because they can't enforce it. And they can't force gun makers to do it too.

Gun law being made by non gun people...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    Puhleeeeze Lord, let this be the beginning of widespread corporate civil disobedience in dozens of regulated products. Let non-compliance reign! But it can't stop just with new handguns - it must include no ammo, no parts and no service to have full effect. And the movement must include the big LE players like Glock. Let California LEOs howl! And be unheard. Until California repeals all of its onerous gun control - not just micro-stamping. And after California, let the industry move against New York, Illinois, New Jersey, etc, one at a time, until all are brought to heal before a free market unrestrained and unencumbered by legislative fiat. And then, let the movement spread to the automakers, to force the repeal of California emissions, safety standards, and CAFE, then to petroleum refiners to end individual state formulations, oxygenation and ethanol...and then I woke up. Oh well, we can DREAM of LIBERTY, can't we?
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    P...and then I woke up. Oh well, we can DREAM of LIBERTY, can't we?

I'll go you one better.

howsabout we get a coupla congress critters to introduce a repeal of 1934 0r even just '68.
    I'm tired of playing defensive whack- a - mole with these treasonous sons a beaches. Let's put them on their heels for a change
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,096 Senior Member
    Unfortunately his products are not as widely used as a Glock is.

But Glock comes from a different--WAY different gun culture. They've been selling guns to buyers in countries with restrictive gun laws or places that simply don't allow civilian gun ownership all together. So they may not quite understand the protest.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • 10 AC10 AC Member Posts: 309 Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    But Glock comes from a different--WAY different gun culture. They've been selling guns to buyers in countries with restrictive gun laws or places that simply don't allow civilian gun ownership all together. So they may not quite understand the protest.

Well then as Anthony Hopkins said in the movie Legdens of the Fall " Screw 'em"
    Teach
    If you don't have a C&R FFL,you really need to consider getting one----it's a license to spend money, though.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Ok so two major manufacturers aren't going to sell in California and maybe all will follow. Isn't that what the legislators want? Don't they dream of a "gun free" state? In my opinion anti self defense people are delusional enough to think of this as a victory.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,253 Senior Member
    Boycotting California will only work if all the manufacturers stop selling to government agencies- - - -local and state. Just cutting off the gun supply to civilians won't accomplish a thing. If the ammo manufacturers get into the game, there will be some sudden and dramatic changes, but that's probably too much to expect.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Teach wrote: »
    Boycotting California will only work if all the manufacturers stop selling to government agencies- - - -local and state. Just cutting off the gun supply to civilians won't accomplish a thing.

That what needs to be done and that wont happen. Too much money to be lost.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,345 Senior Member
    That what needs to be done and that wont happen. Too much money to be lost.

Are state-owned firearms subject to the microstamping law? If not, then it seems to me that this is exactly what is happening, at least as far as S&W and Ruger are concerned...or am I mistaken?:uhm: I may have misunderstood, but it sounds like they are refusing to comply with the law and, if the state will only purchase compliant firearms, that means that at least these two companies will not be selling to the state. If so, this might just be the start of something bigger.

Or maybe not? :uhm:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,715 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Are state-owned firearms subject to the microstamping law? If not, then it seems to me that this is exactly what is happening, at least as far as S&W and Ruger are concerned...or am I mistaken?:uhm: I may have misunderstood, but it sounds like they are refusing to comply with the law and, if the state will only purchase compliant firearms, that means that at least these two companies will not be selling to the state. If so, this might just be the start of something bigger.

Or maybe not? :uhm:

If California is like most other states in that regard, then the law that passed exempted LE and other state agencies from the microstamping business on their firearms. It's because those organizations are SOOOOOO trustworthy and aboveboard that there is no need for it for them. Sorta kinda like the Congress exempts themselves from all laws that would affect them. :p
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,218 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Boycotting California will only work if all the manufacturers stop selling to government agencies- - - -local and state. Just cutting off the gun supply to civilians won't accomplish a thing. If the ammo manufacturers get into the game, there will be some sudden and dramatic changes, but that's probably too much to expect.
    Jerry
    ^^ This precisely. If you don't cut off the LE market, the wholething is a waste of time. A police state where only government agencies are armed is EXACTLY what the Cali legislature wants.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 260 Member
    This maybe a little off topic but I love Weatherby guns. I don't love Weatherby guns enough to buy anymore of them. Was it Magpul that left Colorado? Good for them! Weatherbys argument was always, we've been here for so long! Guess what, that times winding down and your really loosing your street cred. I've never been a fan of Ruger but good for them too! I'll probably never buy a Ruger, I might buy a M&P, and I'll probably never be able to afford a Barrett. One thing is for certain, If I want a six shooter, its gonna be a Ruger. If I feel like shooting a M&P, well its gonna be a S&W. If somehow I Can afford a 8-12k rifle, its gonna be a Barrett. Oh, and my Barrett will have a Magpul mag.
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,345 Senior Member
    1hogfan83 wrote: »
    This maybe a little off topic but I love Weatherby guns. I don't love Weatherby guns enough to buy anymore of them. Was it Magpul that left Colorado? Good for them! Weatherbys argument was always, we've been here for so long! Guess what, that times winding down and your really loosing your street cred. I've never been a fan of Ruger but good for them too! I'll probably never buy a Ruger, I might buy a M&P, and I'll probably never be able to afford a Barrett. One thing is for certain, If I want a six shooter, its gonna be a Ruger. If I feel like shooting a M&P, well its gonna be a S&W. If somehow I Can afford a 8-12k rifle, its gonna be a Barrett. Oh, and my Barrett will have a Magpul mag.

I applaud your stand, but may I make one suggestion, both to you and also to others who stand with us? When you do pull that trigger (pun intended), make sure the company (or companies) involved KNOW WHY you purchased their product(s). Likewise, we should also let those companies that we have chosen NOT to do business with the reasons why we haven't.

If this is something you already do, then carry on. :usa:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    They will be getting a Christmas card. Did magpull leave out of Colorado?
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,939 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Are state-owned firearms subject to the microstamping law?

One thing that all the California lawmakers tend to do is exempt state and local LE from their idiocy. Let's set aside all the "police state" ranting for a moment and consider the following:

What happens when a cop shoots some totally deserving armed robber with a handgun that California won't let on their roster of "safe" handguns?

Here's what we've got going on in California right now:

A civilian cannot buy a new Gen 4 Glock because it doesn't have the safety features California started mandating all new guns being added to the "safe gun" list possess. A civilian CAN buy a new Gen 3 Glock because it was on the original "safe gun" list that pre-dated magazine cutoffs and ostentatiously visible LCI's and is therefore grandfathered in. Functionally identical guns, however. . .

You can buy a grandfathered Springfield 1911 with a Parkerized finish, but if Springfield introduces the EXACT SAME GUN with pink Ceracoating, it can't be sold in California - no matter how badly the San Francisco residents who asked for this legislation want one.

As I've said elsewhere, fixing California is going to take the courts. Sadly, we don't have nearly enough bleach to clean our legislative pool.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,422 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »

As I've said elsewhere, fixing California is going to take the courts. Sadly, we don't have nearly enough bleach to clean our legislative pool.

Which is exactly the reasoning upon which the last two sentences of my prior post was based.

Sorry to sound trite.....but just sayin'.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,825 Senior Member
    1hogfan83 wrote: »
    They will be getting a Christmas card. Did magpull leave out of Colorado?

Manufacturing going to Wyoming, Management going to Texas
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,037 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    ^^ This precisely. If you don't cut off the LE market, the wholething is a waste of time. A police state where only government agencies are armed is EXACTLY what the Cali legislature wants.

If S&W doesn't sell to LE, someone else will. Who is willing to do whatever the state requires.

It's a money issue. Trying to make it a political issue is an example of why there's an anti-gun president and why CA has two anti-gun senators. I admire Smith for their stand, but wonder how much it will cost them $$$$-wise.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,717 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    If S&W doesn't sell to LE, someone else will. Who is willing to do whatever the state requires.

It's a money issue. Trying to make it a political issue is an example of why there's an anti-gun president and why CA has two anti-gun senators. I admire Smith for their stand, but wonder how much it will cost them $$$$-wise.

How much will it cost all of the companies if the public is banned, and I am not just talking CA, from owning some or all of their products, we should be concerned if S&W and others stepping up like this, maybe they are seeing the writing on the wall.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    "Smith & Wesson said it expects sales of its California-compliant revolvers, which aren't required to have microstamping, will offset the impact to the company."

Seems kind of a half hearted effort based on the above excerpt from the fox news article. particularly since the LE community is exempt from the mico-stamping requirement.
    I do applaud them for not bowing to this ridiculous law but to truly make an impact, all sales, including to LE should be stopped.

Sako
    I think we should all boycott! We all have enough common sense to review what we buy, that's why we're here. I now review where my gun is made too. I may be one buyer but this buyer is not going to give those back stabbers my money. Heaven forbid they loose a million dollars! I think that Hi Point should be the only pistol allowed to law enforcement! Sorry if I made anyone made but not really. We live in a democracy. Love it or leave it! Vote them in or out! As stated before, Weatherby makes outstanding firearms, especially for the cost, but they can kiss my rebel (withheld). Smith and Wesson is another that needs to shape up or ship out. I know I said earlier I would shoot one but I'm not gonna buy one. They let New York slap them in the face! Sad that I have to buy German (HK) and CZ Guns, I love them though.