Home Main Category Personal Defense

RIP--Has anyone shot this ammo?

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,201 Senior Member
    If one would ever use that ammo in a self defense situation, the civil suit would be a slam dunk.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,663 Senior Member
    A 96gr gimmick 9mm?? No thanks!

How is going to come apart to leave ''9 wound channels'' and penetrate 16'' ??? Oh yeah......... It ain't!!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    At least they don't have ninjas doing their advertising.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Maybe they do and we just can't see them.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Are those projectiles "Fletchettes"? I've seen them used before, they didn't catch on then. Perhaps the new
    "R.I.P." marketing will appeal to the Mall Ninjas. I'll stick with Double taps.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    OK, NN get some and whack some water jugs and report back to us. :guns::guns:

Hey it just might work, who knows. However, as mentioned, the name RIP would surely fall into a scum-sucking lawyers hands in a wrongful death lawsuit, no matter how "Good" the shoot was.

It does look cool/wicked :yikes: don't it? Reminds me of some .45 ACP I saw that was called "Grippers" or something for shootin bowling pins in matches that would grab/bite the slick porcelain better.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member

The advertising is gimmicky, but if the projectile peforms as well in actual flesh as it does in their ballistics gel tests, it will have nasty wound potential on target.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    maxresdefault.jpg
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Kind of like Winchester PDX1 in a .410 load:jester:, just buy a Judge.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2011/07/26/410-revolvers/
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Kind of like Winchester PDX1 in a .410 load:jester:, just buy a Judge.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2011/07/26/410-revolvers/

Now that's just plain mean and inhumane to use the awesome power of a .410 on ballistic gelatin :yikes::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Now that's just plain mean and inhumane to use the awesome power of a .410 on ballistic gelatin :yikes::rotflmao::rotflmao:

I did not see the need to go out and reinvent the wheel when it has already been perfected:wink:.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    I want to see live tissue testing.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bmlbml Senior Member Posts: 1,075 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    If one would ever use that ammo in a self defense situation, the civil suit would be a slam dunk.

I agree.

That said, the video results on the gelatin look pretty cool.
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 386 Member
    I think some of you are missing the "One shot stopping power" potential here.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    I'm generally not one to call shenanigans with no evidence......but calling shenanigans I yam!

After watching multiple ballistics gel test in slow-mo, and comparing it the the block that RIP is getting 16" of penetration in......I don't think their using "industry standard" gel. A .380 ball round will usually penetrate a little over 10" to 12". RIP is trying to say that a round that starts out at the same weight, looses about half of itself as well as a tremendous amount of velocity upon impact, still retains enough energy to get 16" deep.......shenani-freakin-gans!
    But......but......but...... it "HAS GUN OWNERS DROOLING"!!!!!

and........"is taking the market by storm and has gun owners all over the country trying to find where to pick some up."

You guys better get on board or miss out on the next best thing since..............well..........procreation?
    Somebody buy me some! I'll go kill something with it!!!!!

:guns:
  • bmlbml Senior Member Posts: 1,075 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    I'm generally not one to call shenanigans with no evidence......but calling shenanigans I yam!

After watching multiple ballistics gel test in slow-mo, and comparing it the the block that RIP is getting 16" of penetration in......I don't think their using "industry standard" gel. A .380 ball round will usually penetrate a little over 10" to 12". RIP is trying to say that a round that starts out at the same weight, looses about half of itself as well as a tremendous amount of velocity upon impact, still retains enough energy to get 16" deep.......shenani-freakin-gans!

You do bring up a good point about making sure he ballistics gel is "calibrated"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    It will just have to do with the cost and if I can find some, if it is reasonable, I'll get some and try it
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,117 Senior Member
    Not a chance....got waaaayyyy more important things to waste my money on....just more ammo that's designed to appeal to the under-educated shooter...."Yessir-ree Bob...this stuff not only kills them, it tags 'em and bags 'em".......anytime a company starts talking about "stopping power" they have done lost me...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I want to see live tissue testing.

Me too (not mine though).
    I've had 6 calls in the last 3 hours here at the shop for this stupid ammo.
    I'm in love with a Glock
    I've had 6 calls in the last 3 hours here at the shop for this stupid ammo.

:gasp:

The add was RIGHT!!!!
    And 2 customers walk in asking about it. The guy that left 5 minutes ago was sold on it. He told me all about how the little fingers create new wound channels and everything.
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,326 Senior Member
    And 2 customers walk in asking about it. The guy that left 5 minutes ago was sold on it. He told me all about how the little fingers create new wound channels and everything.

You know why you need multiple wound channels? Because you failed to put one of them in the right place to begin with.

I'll stick with flat nose cast solids TYVM.:roll:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    I think that multi wound channels with that copper shotgun sabot didn't work out either.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,258 Senior Member
    Can you just see the heart attack that Piers Morgan, and his like-minded brethren will have when they get wind of this. :blah:

Of course the manufacturers had to have the requisite automatic weapon in their video.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,590 Senior Member
    I am most definitely not drooling over this stuff. I wouldn't use it even if it were cheaper than FMJ.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member