Arizona Sheriff: Inmates Who Defaced Flags to Get Only Bread and Water

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Sheriff Joe is Da Man :applause::applause::applause::beer::beer: :usa::usa::usa: Jail should be a place criminals never want to go back to, not a vacation.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/01/24/Ariz-sheriff--Inmates-who-defaced-flags-to-get-only-bread-and-water

PHOENIX, Jan. 24 (UPI) --
Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Arizona's Maricopa County said inmates who defaced American flags in their cells will be fed only bread and water for a week.

The flags were placed in cells in November in a patriotism campaign by the sheriff, who accused some inmates of "tearing them, writing on them, stepping on them, throwing them in the toilet, trash or wherever they feel. It's a disgrace," CNN reported.

In addition to the display of flags, the "Star Spangled Banner" is played over the jail intercom each morning and every evening inmates hear "God Bless America," the report said.

The flags were put in cells after Arpaio announced he would hire more veterans.

He says more than 600 male and female veterans work for the sheriff's department, which manages 8,000 inmates."

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/01/24/Ariz-sheriff--Inmates-who-defaced-flags-to-get-only-bread-and-water
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Sheriff Joe is getting soft- - - - -a few years ago it would have been a diet of all-bran and prune juice- - - -for a month!
    :devil:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,576 Senior Member
    We need more people like sheriff Joe, maybe run him for president then he could take all our lying representatives and let them live in a tent for while. That might straighten D.C. up.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,664 Senior Member
    Isn't this a form of torture that cause extreme pain?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »

I think bread n waiter is still legal and was used by ship's captains for centuries (and some flogging back in the day).

Yes, I agree they shouldn't desecrate the flag, but it's more about discipline and destruction of other peoples property (the AZ county).

I think the recidivism rate in his country must be the lowest in the country.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Don't get me wrong I like Joe Arpio. He keeps pushing the envelope he is eventually going to lose. Whats next water boarding for not making their bunk.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,830 Senior Member
    He hasn't had any press in a while. He calculated that if he put something in the cells (flags, Ten Commandments, or drawings of Mickey Mouse) that some of the inmates would deface the items and this would give Joe an excuse to punish the inmates. Since he chose American flags, people would applaud the torture; I mean “dietary restrictions” in the name of patriotism.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    He may run fer GOV of AZ...I hope he does and wins!

The Feds are out to get him for enforcing the law, supposedly picking on poor ILLEGALS.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,185 Senior Member

I guess that would depend on what you mean by extreme pain. What bread and water only diet does is cause some pretty nasty constipation and some less than joyful bowel movements. Think poopin' a concrete block.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,205 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I guess that would depend on what you mean by extreme pain. What bread and water only diet does is cause some pretty nasty constipation and some less than joyful bowel movements. Think poopin' a concrete block.

Not iffn you drink lots of water :rotflmao:
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Not iffn you drink lots of water :rotflmao:

Ain't NOBODY can drink THAT MUCH water! :silly:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,009 Senior Member
    Depends on if it's white or wheat bread (or that abomination "White Wheat")
    I can see white bread causing issues, but the other 2 have enough fiber they SHOULD keep things moving
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Sheriff Joe is getting soft- - - - -a few years ago it would have been a diet of all-bran and prune juice- - - -for a month!
    Jerry

Bread and water for a month than all bran and prune juice for a month. :tooth:
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,503 Senior Member
    What Cali said. This was done to get some press for Joe. Back when he was just 'tough on crime' and making life in jail unpleasant (and therefore something not to be repeated), I thought he was okay. now, I'm thinkin' old Joe has jumped the shark.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Don't get me wrong I like Joe Arpio. He keeps pushing the envelope he is eventually going to lose. Whats next water boarding for not making their bunk.

I'm cool with that!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    Sheriff Joe is an idiot and I'm willing to bet he's as corrupt as any career politician. Using the American flag and the National Anthem as a tool for prison reform is disgusting. He has no more respect for our Tenets than the inmates who use the flag as butt wipe.
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,785 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    What Cali said. This was done to get some press for Joe. Back when he was just 'tough on crime' and making life in jail unpleasant (and therefore something not to be repeated), I thought he was okay. now, I'm thinkin' old Joe has jumped the shark.

This! I've lived in his county and voted against him. He is a corrupt, power hungry, attention whore. The ONLY reason he did this is because he knew it would get a lot of attention on conservative media outlets.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    Hmmmm- - - -using cheap, inflammatory tricks to get attention- - - - -do you suppose Joe is becoming a closet dummycrap? Or maybe he's just taking a page from the other team's playbook!
    Jerry
  • Lucky DogLucky Dog Banned Posts: 26 New Member

are you a liberal ? sounds like it.
    Lucky Dog wrote: »

Welcome aboard. I suggest you introduce yourself in the Clubhouse.

Free advice...you should hang around a while before calling members names. Or even better, explain why someone's sarcastic comment about waterboarding makes them a liberal.

Ayn Rand
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,099 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    He hasn't had any press in a while. He calculated that if he put something in the cells (flags, Ten Commandments, or drawings of Mickey Mouse) that some of the inmates would deface the items and this would give Joe an excuse to punish the inmates. Since he chose American flags, people would applaud the torture; I mean “dietary restrictions” in the name of patriotism.

+1

Think of it from the inmate's perspective - that flag is a symbol of the system that put you in that cell. What did Sheriff Joe THINK would happen - that they'd jump out of bed, bow to the little flag like Muslims facing Mecca, and shout "God bless America!" every morning before going to break rocks on the chain gang? I'm not saying for an instant that those guys don't deserve to be in prison, but they've got a lot more cause to disfavor the flag than Jane Fonda does.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Lucky Dog wrote: »

Me a liberal? And he his stupid to boot.
    "Lucky"?- - - - - - -sorta doubt it!

"Dog"?- - - - - -definitely!
    Jerry
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,192 Senior Member
    This! I've lived in his county and voted against him. He is a corrupt, power hungry, attention whore. The ONLY reason he did this is because he knew it would get a lot of attention on conservative media outlets.
    So what! It's no worse than Gov. Cuomo of New York telling conservatives they don't belong in New York. That was an appeal to the commies in NY. As long as the scum suckers in Joe's jail get enough calories to support their metabolism, then he should do whatever is legal. "This ain't no disco, no CBGB's, ain't no foolin' around."
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    As long as the scum suckers in Joe's jail get enough calories to support their metabolism, then he should do whatever is legal.

While I'm sure there are "scum suckers" housed in Maricopa county jail, remember that a significant percentage of people in there are NOT convicted, they are awaiting trial. Until they are convicted, they are accused and INNOCENT. We've all read about falsely accused people spending days or months in jail before being released. Incarcerated does not equal scum.

Ayn Rand
    If his tactics were having any measurable impact on crime rates in his county I might sing a different tune, but they're all just publicity stunts designed to gain national attention from "Law and Order" conservatives around the country:

Arizona-Maricopa-County-Crime-Trends.png

Demographic?state_id=349351&city_id=345370&place=Maricopa+county%2C+AZ&state=Arizona&chart=crimestatistics

6a00d8341bf80c53ef0133f2644e49970b-pi
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    Those statistics and graphs and stuff is interesting, until you look where Maricopa County is in relation to the Mexican border. Like the real estate people say, "Location, location, location!" Phoenix isn't all that and a bag of chips. When it comes to cross border crime, they are one of the main arteries of drug trade from Mexico to the U.S., and are overrun with illegals. Makes those stats you posted sort of disingenuous.

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,192 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    While I'm sure there are "scum suckers" housed in Maricopa county jail, remember that a significant percentage of people in there are NOT convicted, they are awaiting trial. Until they are convicted, they are accused and INNOCENT. We've all read about falsely accused people spending days or months in jail before being released. Incarcerated does not equal scum.
    What's a "significant percentage?" According to my experience in LE, the overwhelming majority of people arrested for crimes were either caught in the act, or identified by witnesses and not as a result of some after-the-fact investigation like you see on TV. Things may have changed in twenty-five years, but I doubt it. While there probably is some percentage of the accused awaiting trial, most of the people in the jail are convicted of crimes. Many of the accused for misdemeanors should be able to make bail, I would think. My remarks are primarily aimed at the convicted, and I am not as convinced as you seem to be that a significant percentage of jail residents are just awaiting trial. Maybe you could come up with some fancy graphs showing inmate population with percentages on convicted/waiting trial, like alpha likes to provide.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Those statistics and graphs and stuff is interesting, until you look where Maricopa County is in relation to the Mexican border. Like the real estate people say, "Location, location, location!" Phoenix isn't all that and a bag of chips. When it comes to cross border crime, they are one of the main arteries of drug trade from Mexico to the U.S., and are overrun with illegals. Makes those stats you posted sort of disingenuous.

I'm well aware, as you know I lived there. It's been that way for a long time, but all sheriff Joe's publicity stunts aren't doing anything to help the issues. The most indicative graph is the last one. All of Arizona has issues with crime and immigration, yet ONLY Maricopa Co had a large increase in violent crime, while crime is down everywhere else in the state. Maybe he should spend a little less time grandstanding and making reality TV shows and a little more time doing his actual job.
    -DoctorWho
    What's a "significant percentage?" According to my experience in LE, the overwhelming majority of people arrested for crimes were either caught in the act, or identified by witnesses and not as a result of some after-the-fact investigation like you see on TV. Things may have changed in twenty-five years, but I doubt it. While there probably is some percentage of the accused awaiting trial, most of the people in the jail are convicted of crimes. Many of the accused should be able to make bail, I would think. My remarks are primarily aimed at the convicted, and I am not as convinced as you seem to be that a significant percentage of jail residents are just awaiting trial. Maybe you could come up with some fancy graphs showing inmate population with percentages on convicted/waiting trial, like alpha likes to provide.

As a LEO you should probably know that Jails are primarily used to hold the accused until trial. After sentencing the convicted are typically transferred to a prison unless it is a relatively minor crime and short sentence. Sheriff Joe only has jurisdiction over the jail so yes most of the people in his custody have not yet been convicted or were convicted of minor crimes. True many of them probably will be convicted at some point, but we do have something in this country called due process of law. It's in that old document so many of you talk about with such reverence. I believe it is in the 5th amendment? I know that one doesn't get much play with "tough on crime" conservatives, but maybe you guys should read it again just for fun.
    -DoctorWho
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,029 Senior Member
    I'm well aware, as you know I lived there. It's been that way for a long time, but all sheriff Joe's publicity stunts aren't doing anything to help the issues. The most indicative graph is the last one. All of Arizona has issues with crime and immigration, yet ONLY Maricopa Co had a large increase in violent crime, while crime is down everywhere else in the state. Maybe he should spend a little less time grandstanding and making reality TV shows and a little more time doing his actual job.

All that graph shows is that the crime rate has been fairly static, hard to say either way, maybe the crime rate would have been higher without the Sherriff's style of law, tough to prove a negative.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11