Home Main Category Clubhouse

Mustang died this week

LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior MemberPosts: 8,337 Senior Member
I thought it was a computer failure, what with all the electrical monkeys running around. Radio resetting itself, windows running themselves up and down, cruise control turning on and off.

Turns out it's a short in the wiring harness that caused all the havoc. $800 to replace it, but that's better than $2500 for a new computer.

Sigh.

I love the car, but I miss old tech.
“A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member

Replies

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,626 Senior Member
    Might be a stupid question, but why not repair the short, rather than replace the whole harness?
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Apparently the harness is fried.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    The all new 2015 Mustang due out next fall will solve all your problems.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Only if I want something that looks like a Focus got raped by a Nissan. Thank you no.

NRA Endowment Member
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,626 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Apparently the harness is fried.

Question answered. I thought maybe we were talking about a wire in the harness, not the whole shebang. My bad...should not ASSume!:nono: :tooth:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    My '09 Chevy pickup used to do something similar. Doors would lock and unlock repeatedly, a "Traction Control Off" warning would pop up in the instrument cluster, cruise control would switch off, and when I turned off the engine, everything would be completely dead.....ignition, radio, headlights, dome lights......nothing worked.
    If I jiggled the negative battery cable, everything would start working again, until the next time the gremlins came back. It hasn't acted like that in a while now, probably been a year or better, so I haven't done anything about it.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Electrical gremlins are nothing new. One I remember was a 55 Cadillac convertible with all the bells and whistles- - - -power top, power windows, a radio that changed stations by pressing a switch on the floor, auto-dimming headlights, 6-way power seat, etc. It probably even had an automatic buttwipe, for all I know! At odd times the thing would try to retract the top while driving, the seat would move, the radio would switch stations, windows up and down at random, etc. The cause of the problem turned out to be a big multi-pin connector plug under the carpet which had gotten wet a few times in rainstorms with the top down. Corrosion and stray voltage was causing relays to operate at random. Gremlins aren't a new thing at all- - - -that problem happened about 60 years ago!
    Jerry