Home Main Category Clubhouse

Uncanny Amount of Silver and Copper

centermass556centermass556 Senior MemberPosts: 3,534 Senior Member
I keep a Mason jar on my dressor and when I have change I drop in there. I'll continue to collect until full,, then get another jar...

Well last night I just happened to look at my jar in the light and saw 1942 Nickle. So I dumped it to get the nickle....and then I started going through piece by piece...

In a standard pint size Mason jar, I have found almost $4 of Silver and copper. Wheat pennies, even found a quarter from 1939....I'm gonna start looking a little more closely at bills. Might end up with a Silver certificate or two before I leave Alaska.
"To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Replies

• bmlbml Senior Member Posts: 1,075 Senior Member
    Thats pretty cool. I used to be into coin collecting when I was a teenager. I remember finding a Mercury Dime in the cash register when I worked at Wendy's.
    scottd wrote: »
    The milk of human kindness is often out dated and curdled.

This is like watching a bunch or **** trying to hump a door knob.....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,966 Senior Member
    I remember when Mercury dimes were everyday dimes.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I remember when Mercury dimes were everyday dimes.

Me too, tu, to, two, also. Doesn't seem that long ago, but I guess it was. And silver dollars were as common as house cats.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    We regularly check the pocket change; myself and the boys, since the economic stuff around here took a dive, folks were cashing in their coin jars and we were scoring LOTS of pre 64 quarters and dimes, many Wheaties, about 10 war nickels, and then we also separated any 1982 and prior pennies (content changed in mid 82-83).
    Kiddos are collectors as well, and I have been at it for 35 years or so.

Matt

PS, don't you love the sound of a 90% silver quarter hit the counter?
    Support your local Scouts!