Home Main Category Hunting

So what is one to do....

ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 BannedPosts: 2,645 Senior Member
When they want to hunt, but havent got the stomache to kill a gutt and live in a crapp state that doesnt allow for high power rifles???? I love the thought of the stalk and hunt, but dont care much for shotguns and/or gutting deer. I have done a bit of squirrel hunting, but it is too easy. Also, I dont have any land anymore that allows for much hunting period, regardless of season or animal. Any suggestions????

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    Sounds like you're in a pickle...you need to:

(1) Travel to another state with a brother in law you can talk into doing the messy stuff...
    (2) Leave the gun at home and practice sneaking up on deer and hitting them with a stick...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Photography.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • U TU T Member Posts: 423 Member
    If you don't have the stomach to kill a deer, or gut a deer, you shouldn't be hunting. Many of us Ohio hunters that don't think this is a "CRAP", state, and will end up getting around 250,000 deer again this year, between our archery, gun, and primitive weapons season. There are hundreds of thousands of acres of public hunting land available, and if you try, and present yourself in a positive manner, there are many landowners that will allow hunting, or you could lease some property. Shotguns would not be the first choice of most deer hunters, but can easily get the job done, and muzzle loaders are also legal during the regular gun season. If you think squirrel hunting is too easy, (what are you using, a shotgun?), try using a.22 or a bow and arrow, if you want to be challenged, plus there's probably deer in the same woods that you're allowed to squirrel hunt in?
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Photography.

:spittingcoffee::rotflmao::that:
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Sorry I kinda typed that out half eyed last night. I meant I can kill, but can't stomache the gutting part. And I prefer rifle among all other firearms.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Sorry I kinda typed that out half eyed last night. I meant I can kill, but can't stomache the gutting part. And I prefer rifle among all other firearms.

Hey man, we are having fun with you, but if you are going to do a lot of hunting, you just need to get use to and accept the gutting thing. :yesno: :that:
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,572 Senior Member
    Head to West Virginia, or Pennsylvania with your rifle. You can shoot all the deer you please with a rifle, there. Or down south. The Carolinas, Tennessee, Georgia, Virgina. Plenty of rifle states within an 8 hour drive from here.
    Honestly, unless you have someone with you that will gut your deer, you have no business shooting one if you can't take care of it properly after the kill.

I gotta ask, have you ever shot an accurate shotgun? One with a rifled barrel, shooting sabots? With the performance of modern sabots, it's pretty much like shooting a rifle. Or take up archery. Or get a muzzleloader. They're rifles.

Kinda sounds like you're not really a hunter, and I'm not sure what the point of this thread is.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,890 Senior Member
    If you don't like the idea of shooting a "shotgun" then take a look at the Savage line of bolt action slug guns. I shoot a 220f, 20ga 260gr sabot slug at 1900fps. Think 444 Marlin ballistics. If you don't like Savage well Browning makes one also but it will cost you twice as much.
    As for the gutting, best if the first attempt is with someone who knows what they are doing. Makes it a lot easier the next time.

Sako
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...paintball???

...start looking @ working into some LR shooting???

...got me, I always figgered shooting something was the easy part, all the prep work to get & make the shot, & gutting, packing, butchering was just part of hunting...
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    sakodude wrote: »
    If you don't like the idea of shooting a "shotgun" then take a look at the Savage line of bolt action slug guns. I shoot a 220f, 20ga 260gr sabot slug at 1900fps.

That Savage is built off the 110 rifle action. I have one and it shoots great. While Michigan does have rifle hunting in the northern areas, the deer are more concentrated in the southern shotgun zone. I would prefer a rifle as well, but I prefer deer more.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    If you want to enjoy hunting, you should learn to relish all of the challenges it presents. Finding a place and getting tuned in to the wildlife that inhabits it, making a good shot, and processing your kill into tasty table fare are all part of it. Every time you bite into it, you can remember the good feeling you had when you were out hunting it.

As for squirrel hunting, I find no kind of hunting more challenging than hunting the little gray squirrels that live down in the river bottoms (we call them cat squirrels) - they appear and disappear like ghosts and are almost never still. Shotguns are the best way to go for them, but I use a scoped .22. I get 'skunked' quite often, but I always have a great time, and on the rare occasions that I've made a clean headshot on one, I was a heck of a lot more excited about that than I was about the nice nine point buck that posed broadside, at 50 yards, for me, last year.

Just making the shot doesn't do it for me (unless I'm wing shooting). If that's all you want, save up for one of those guided hunts where they do everything for you.
    `Just to clear up some confusion.... Somebody stated I dont sound like a hunter. Thats is correct. As I said, I have hunted squirrel with friends before and I did enjoy that. Giving it some more thought though, I think if I lived out west, P dog shooting would be fun. But as stated before, given the limited places to hunt for me, the game available and really having no way of dragging anything large game size out of the woods, leaves me to thinking that maybe I should stick to punching paper.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,930 Senior Member
    But as stated before, given the limited places to hunt for me, the game available and really having no way of dragging anything large game size out of the woods, leaves me to thinking that maybe I should stick to punching paper.

Based on what you have said, I don't think you would enjoy hunting any sort of big game. If you have the means to travel out of state, and hire a guide to do the dirty work, you might enjoy it. For me, though, field dressing what I shoot is just part of it. Getting my kill out is also part of it.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    I know there are some good 1000 yard ranges in Ohio...there's something for you to focus on...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    coyotes?

silhouette shooting?
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    Here is the solution to your dilemma.

Go to the supermarket.
    Buy a big pack of your favorite meat.....for arguments sake, a whole frozen beef backstrap.
    Take it into the woods.
    Set it up on a log and walk away about a mile or so.
    Stalk into what is a comfortable range for your rifle of choice. ( say 200yds for a 30.06, 150 yds for a 7mm08, 25 yds for a 270)
    Shoot the meat pack.
    Track it if it runs off.( you might have to get closer for a DRT kill shot than 25yds if you use a 270)
    When you locate it, pack it out to your truck.
    Go home, fire up the BBQ, put some rub/marinade on the meat and start cooking it.
    Invite your friends around for the meal and to share a few beers.
    Tell them about the stalk, how you had to track it ( if you used a 270) then cut it up and let them enjoy their meal.
    Smile knowingly when they tell you it tastes just like beef and offer them another beer.
    ( You can substitute the beef for pork or even a frozen turkey if you dont like beef)
    Mount the packaging on a nice piece of varnished wood and stick it on the wall in your study/man cave.
    Plan your next hunt........

Seriously though, what is it about dressing the animal out that makes you not like the idea.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    `Just to clear up some confusion.... Somebody stated I dont sound like a hunter. Thats is correct. As I said, I have hunted squirrel with friends before and I did enjoy that. Giving it some more thought though, I think if I lived out west, P dog shooting would be fun. But as stated before, given the limited places to hunt for me, the game available and really having no way of dragging anything large game size out of the woods, leaves me to thinking that maybe I should stick to punching paper.

...you should start by investigating the possibilities of shooting woodchucks on an overnighter...

...far as getting large game out, all it takes is a little gumption. Don't know how many deer I've drug out, but I can guarantee they would make a very large pile, packed @ least a couple of elk quarters almost every year for a quarter century in N.ID., out of the first 10 elk I shot in WY, I packed out 9 by myself (now I got a buddy who's stronger, instead of smarter :tooth:)...
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    You don't need a firearm. From what I see every fall it looks like you guys kill 'em all with your cars and trucks!
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
    orchidman wrote: »
    Here is the solution to your dilemma.

Go to the supermarket.
    Buy a big pack of your favorite meat.....for arguments sake, a whole frozen beef backstrap.
    Take it into the woods.
    Set it up on a log and walk away about a mile or so.
    Stalk into what is a comfortable range for your rifle of choice. ( say 200yds for a 30.06, 150 yds for a 7mm08, 25 yds for a 270)
    Shoot the meat pack.
    Track it if it runs off.( you might have to get closer for a DRT kill shot than 25yds if you use a 270)
    When you locate it, pack it out to your truck.
    Go home, fire up the BBQ, put some rub/marinade on the meat and start cooking it.
    Invite your friends around for the meal and to share a few beers.
    Tell them about the stalk, how you had to track it ( if you used a 270) then cut it up and let them enjoy their meal.
    Smile knowingly when they tell you it tastes just like beef and offer them another beer.
    ( You can substitute the beef for pork or even a frozen turkey if you dont like beef)
    Mount the packaging on a nice piece of varnished wood and stick it on the wall in your study/man cave.
    Plan your next hunt........

Seriously though, what is it about dressing the animal out that makes you not like the idea.
    :roll2: Now that there is funny. I might just try that. You better hope Snake dont come along and read that. lol
    Oh and to answer your question Alec.... I have never done it or seen it done. Just sounds pretty damn disgusting and a pain in the butt to do everything afterwards. The whole dragging the thing out of the woods, loading it up, then taking it to be processed. Just not my cup of tea. But I wouldn't mind the hunt. (yes I know that sounds stupid.) My dad used to groundhog hunt with a .44mag but that was years before I was born. The land he used was a relatives in Ky. I dont have the same previlage to use it as he did/does. Other members mentioned some good ideas as in coyotes, and other animals which would fill my niche. Just wondering if anybody knows, if I could do so in a state park that allows seasonal hunting?
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    join a hunting and shooting club, go to a few meetings and events and get to know some other hunters. Go as a group and give a potion of your meat in exchange for processing.

Aren't you allowed to hunt with handguns in Ohio? I had a bud that took several deer with a .357 Dan Wesson many years ago.

Otherwise find a processor that will dress your game for you. However field dressing is the best way to get the meat cooler, prevent contamination, and it will weigh a lot less if you transport it dressed.

Since I was raised in Canton, Ohio, what is the real "cra p" part of Ohio?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    All of it lol. Tons of land and somebody always owns it. Chillicothe
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Ghostsniper1, I am about to open up a can of w___p a__ on this thread. You live near some of the finest Ohio deer hunting land there is, and many consider corn fed Ohio deer to be some of the largest. Wayne State forest is over 250,000 acres of hunting allowed land and it is in your back yard. The foot hills of the Ohio river / West Virgina / Kentucky valley are ideal for deer.

http://hunt-ohio-deer-and-turkey-on-public-land.com/Wayne-National-Forest.php

How about grow a pair and get out there?

Deer will only fall into your lap if you hit them with your car, which people do all the time in your area.

You are allowed up to three antlered and three antlerless deer per season for a whipping $39 in fees. It's OK to hunt with a handgun with a 5 inch barrel or longer and .357 or larger. Want to see an awesome handgun for hunting Ohio deer? The "Rossi Ranch Hand" in .45 colt or .44 magnum.

RH92_57203_012.jpg

Go make us proud, get out there and get some!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • U TU T Member Posts: 423 Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Ghostsniper1, I am about to open up a can of w___p a__ on this thread. You live near some of the finest Ohio deer hunting land there is, and many consider corn fed Ohio deer to be some of the largest. Wayne State forest is over 250,000 acres of hunting allowed land and it is in your back yard. The foot hills of the Ohio river / West Virgina / Kentucky valley are ideal for deer.

http://hunt-ohio-deer-and-turkey-on-public-land.com/Wayne-National-Forest.php

How about grow a pair and get out there?

Deer will only fall into your lap if you hit them with your car, which people do all the time in your area.

You are allowed up to three antlered and three antlerless deer per season for a whipping $39 in fees. It's OK to hunt with a handgun with a 5 inch barrel or longer and .357 or larger. Want to see an awesome handgun for hunting Ohio deer? The "Rossi Ranch Hand" in .45 colt or .44 magnum.

RH92_57203_012.jpg

Go make us proud, get out there and get some!

D

Dan, I don't know where you're getting your "misinformation" Ohio only allows 1 antlered deer per season. Hunting license is $19.00, and either sex deer tags are $24.00 ea. (same price for either sex tag, which means 1 buck and the other ones for does), and you can also get antlerless tags for $15.00 ea., and it depends on which zone you hunt in, on how many total deer are allowed. I think 6 deer is the max, but only one can be a buck.
    Shawnee State Forest is probably the closest public hunting area to Chillicothe, and is huge like Wayne National, (although there are some smaller wildlife areas closer to Chillicothe)
    He's just not into the whole huntin thing, and that's ok.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,028 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    For me, though, getting Linefinder to field dress what I shoot is just part of it.

There....fixed it for ya.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Oh and to answer your question Alec.... I have never done it or seen it done. Just sounds pretty damn disgusting and a pain in the butt to do everything afterwards. The whole dragging the thing out of the woods, loading it up, then taking it to be processed. Just not my cup of tea. But I wouldn't mind the hunt. (yes I know that sounds stupid.) My dad used to groundhog hunt with a .44mag but that was years before I was born. The land he used was a relatives in Ky. I dont have the same previlage to use it as he did/does. Other members mentioned some good ideas as in coyotes, and other animals which would fill my niche. Just wondering if anybody knows, if I could do so in a state park that allows seasonal hunting?

Dude its really not that bad, and its not that big of a pain in the butt to gut out a white tail on relatively flat land. Come out here to Colorado and try gutting an elk in the dead of winter on a STEEP incline...and remember that elk is over 2x as big and the guts to match. Still only takes about a good 30 minutes if you know what you are doing. Deer....shouldn't take long. Unless you are the quezy type, its not that disgusting either. Snip here, cut there, trim here...yank it all out and voila, venison.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    :roll2: Now that there is funny. I might just try that. You better hope Snake dont come along and read that. lol

I forgot to add: If you miss it with your first shot, walk back to your truck and go home. Stop at the butchers on the way, buy another backstrap, proceed to have the BBQ and tell tall interesting tales of how you were outwitted by a smart piece of meat........

My advice to you is to talk to some mates who hunt and wangle an invitation to go hunting with them as an observer.

You seem to have the urge to try hunting which is great. By going with mates and experiencing it with them I am sure you will want to put that urge into practice. The camaraderie and experience will outweigh by far any of the things that may give you pause, like processing the animal in the field.
    Even better, jump a plane to my place and spend a week with me. If I cant talk you into getting out and doing it yourself after taking you hunting..........I will sell all my other rifles and hunt exclusively with the model 70 in 269+1.
    (We can start out on small stuff, like hunting possums/rabbits at night with a suppressed 22 and spotlight off the quad.)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    When they want to hunt, but havent got the stomache to kill a gutt and live in a crapp state that doesnt allow for high power rifles???? I love the thought of the stalk and hunt, but dont care much for shotguns and/or gutting deer. I have done a bit of squirrel hunting, but it is too easy. Also, I dont have any land anymore that allows for much hunting period, regardless of season or animal. Any suggestions????

Well, the gutting is not an option when hunting, especially successful hunting. Shotguns are great in their place, to me, But for big game, I don't think they are meant for the larger 4 legged animals. That's a rifle's place and always has been. When people have used shotguns for this purpose, it has been for other reasons than they are ideal or maybe as sort of a last resort. I know some will say that shotguns have a purpose in this use, but the times they are the ideal firearm for this purpose is so limited that to me it's a moot point. Some states, such as Ohio mandate them for deer, but I really believe that laws like that are engineered to discourage hunting. It's like the original reason for steel shot or non lead projectiles. It's another way that the antis have of disrupting our lives.

That's why I don't use a bow for deer or hogs. However, one thing I would love to do is shoot turkeys and geese with a bow. But rifles are such a big part of my life, and I do enjoy using them so much, that I don't care to use anything else on larger game such as deer, not even a muzzle loader, yet. However that could change in time. I do like to shoot muzzle loaders and I think I would like to have a couple of flint locks one day to hunt with. But my main interest in hunting is with modern center fire rifles of all calibers. So that's where I am and why I'm there.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Yep you guys have been quite generous in your replies to my ignorance in hunting, granted I was honest and admitted I know squat. And Alec, if all folks in NZ are as courtious as yourself...... well, thats just the place I need to plan a vacation to. And of course if you are serious with your offer and then I would love to take you up on it after the first of the year when I accumulate more vacation time at work. I would LOVE to experience and learn real hunting. Never been there or done that.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Ghostsniper, it sounds to me like you are exactly where you are meant to be. You look to be progressing well towards a life of firearms and hunting enjoyment. Just don't ever forget what affords us this great sport, the second amendment. Always keep it foremost in your mind that it is what makes it happen and without it we would be less than we are. Those who don't choose to excersize the right to keep and bear arms are cheating themselves out of a big part of life, true freedom.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.