Home Main Category Hunting

So what is one to do....

Replies

• ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Ghostsniper, it sounds to me like you are exactly where you are meant to be. You look to be progressing well towards a life of firearms and hunting enjoyment. Just don't ever forget what affords us this great sport, the second amendment. Always keep it foremost in your mind that it is what makes it happen and without it we would be less than we are. Those who don't choose to excersize the right to keep and bear arms are cheating themselves out of a big part of life, true freedom.
    Amen to that Snake. I have learned a ton from this forum and the people that make it the place it is, whether it be safety, law, ethics, ability, etc.... Every day here, I expand my mind a bit more here. Now to get into hunting.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    You're in a great place to hunt. Tar Hollow and Scioto State forests are 10 miles away. Dean & Shawnee State forests, and Wayne National forest are within 50miles...... That's about 500,000 acres.

Just start with squirrel again. Keep going. If you like it, then try something else...... Like turkey.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    Ghost......I can understand what you are saying. I think your mental picture may be different than it actual process. Go out with someone and "experience" it before you say you can't. It really is a snip here and cut here process. Wear rubber gloves when handling the harvest your first time. That way you can stay gunk free. Jeeper and I processed his in about 20 minutes last year. If you don't at least check it out you may keep yourself from some of the best times of your life. It can't be worse than wiping your butt......lol. Just try it once is all I'm saying.

NOW.....PARTY FOR ALL IN NEW ZEALAND IS WHAT I HEARD!!!!!!!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    Most Kiwi's are more polite than me......I am regarded as an old crusty guy lol.

The offer stands brother, as it does for all the members here. I will make sure that you get the hunting bug, and the basic skills before you leave. May even let you touch of a round or two from the 10.75X68................
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,574 Senior Member
    Ghost,
    I'm not trying to be condescending, or anything of the sort. You must think that, because you always gloss over my posts and questions, even though I've offered to help you several times, and I live nearby.

I think you ought to take the Ohio Hunters Safety Course. Based on your limited, and somewhat jaded hunting experiences, I think it would be a good thing. Might answer some questions, open a few doors. Give you a better idea of whether or not it's something you want to pursue. And it's a good idea for everyone, regardless. I made my wife take hers before I'd take her hunting.
    You can take the class part, online. Then you gotta go in for a 4 hour refresher class, and the test.

Also, what is it that you don't like about shotguns? Have you ever been around a modern, accurate slug gun?
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    Shotguns are great in their place, to me, But for big game, I don't think they are meant for the larger 4 legged animals. That's a rifle's place and always has been. When people have used shotguns for this purpose, it has been for other reasons than they are ideal or maybe as sort of a last resort. .

Reminds me of an old feller out in Utah, when he found out shotguns were mandatory for deer hunting in part of Michigan, he couldn't believe it. Just didn't think they could possibly be accurate enough. Went so far as to bet me I couldn't hit a 5 gallon bucket at 100 yards...said he'd pay me 5 bucks every time I hit it. My 870 with a Hasting Slug barrel won me the easiest $50.00 I ever made.
    . Some states, such as Ohio mandate them for deer, but I really believe that laws like that are engineered to discourage hunting. It's like the original reason for steel shot or non lead projectiles. It's another way that the antis have of disrupting our lives.

Utter nonsense...those laws in those states are as old as the hills, and were enacted with the belief that center fire rifles could not be safely used in heavily populated areas...the anti's had nothing to do with it...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »

those laws in those states are as old as the hills, and were enacted with the belief that center fire rifles could not be safely used in heavily populated areas...the anti's had nothing to do with it...

Yep, that is pretty much the case.
    jbohio wrote: »
    Ghost,
    I'm not trying to be condescending, or anything of the sort. You must think that, because you always gloss over my posts and questions, even though I've offered to help you several times, and I live nearby.

I think you ought to take the Ohio Hunters Safety Course. Based on your limited, and somewhat jaded hunting experiences, I think it would be a good thing. Might answer some questions, open a few doors. Give you a better idea of whether or not it's something you want to pursue. And it's a good idea for everyone, regardless. I made my wife take hers before I'd take her hunting.
    You can take the class part, online. Then you gotta go in for a 4 hour refresher class, and the test.

Also, what is it that you don't like about shotguns? Have you ever been around a modern, accurate slug gun?
    I apologize JB. Never intended to overlook your advice if that is what I have done. I appreciate all help I get from anybody that is willing to offer. One thing about me.... I am very blunt. I will be quick always to admit my faults, or when I don't know about something. And as I have stated, I know NOTHING wxcept some squirrel hunting. But as I also stated.... Im toying with the idea of moving to larger game. And shotguns have just always seemed very bland to me. Its not accuracy or even the feel of them that bothers me. They just seem boring for some reason. Limited range, multiple slugs, shot, etc.... I once owned a 12guage, single shot break down H&R. Was fun to blast at tree stumps, but didnt feel sporting when I got a rabbit with it either. So is the class a realistic view on the basis of hunting?
    So is the class a realistic view on the basis of hunting?

Take the class...that Hunter Safety card is likely mandatory if you want to hunt in another state...
    So it is a safety course then??? If its what is required, then I guess I am gonna need it anyways. I actually work with an older guy at work (real nice guy,) that owns a farm in KY. I think I might ask and see if he would take me hunting. I know he has/does hunt everything from squirrel, rabbit, deer, coyote, etc.
    I apologize JB. Never intended to overlook your advice if that is what I have done. I appreciate all help I get from anybody that is willing to offer. One thing about me.... I am very blunt. I will be quick always to admit my faults, or when I don't know about something. And as I have stated, I know NOTHING wxcept some squirrel hunting. But as I also stated.... Im toying with the idea of moving to larger game. And shotguns have just always seemed very bland to me. Its not accuracy or even the feel of them that bothers me. They just seem boring for some reason. Limited range, multiple slugs, shot, etc.... I once owned a 12guage, single shot break down H&R. Was fun to blast at tree stumps, but didnt feel sporting when I got a rabbit with it either. So is the class a realistic view on the basis of hunting?

No worries. IMHO, shotguns are anything but boring. Good ones, anyway. I love being able to load #8's for dove and sporting clays, then #5's for rabbit, #4's for pheasant, on up to 3" T shot for geese. Change the barrel, and I'm shooting a 385 gr, .458 slug at 1950 fps. Trust me, touching one of those off will make you feel alive.

I tell you what. One of these weekends, I'll meet you down at Deercreek. We'll do some shooting.

Also, yes, the class is good. I re-took it a couple years ago, it's pretty good. Tennessee has a REALLY good one, online. My wife did that one also, just for a little extra learning.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,147 Senior Member
    You need to take the hunter safety class, then go hunting with a friend as an observer... or go hunting with a GREAT friend that will gut your animal for you.

To tell you the truth- I hate gutting deer. It's not a s bad as you think, but it is still kinda gross. But it is a necessary evil as a part of hunting. The skinning and processing is is not that bad, though,
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Dude its really not that bad, and its not that big of a pain in the butt to gut out a white tail on relatively flat land. Come out here to Colorado and try gutting an elk in the dead of winter on a STEEP incline...and remember that elk is over 2x as big and the guts to match. Still only takes about a good 30 minutes if you know what you are doing. Deer....shouldn't take long. Unless you are the quezy type, its not that disgusting either. Snip here, cut there, trim here...yank it all out and voila, venison.

MileHighShooter, man are you ever right about STEEP inclines. I was at 10,000ft East of Rifle Colorado and I killed a Mule Deer, not an elk, and had to pull that deer up an incline for about 200yds to reach a flat area where we could put it on a four wheeler. Let me tell you what, that was work, just simply hard work. Yeah, that hunt was all fun until just after I pulled the trigger on my muzzle loader.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »

I tell you what. One of these weekends, I'll meet you down at Deercreek. We'll do some shooting.

Let me know when you go. I'll go if it's a weekend I don't work...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    MileHighShooter, man are you ever right about STEEP inclines. I was at 10,000ft East of Rifle Colorado and I killed a Mule Deer, not an elk, and had to pull that deer up an incline for about 200yds to reach a flat area where we could put it on a four wheeler. Let me tell you what, that was work, just simply hard work. Yeah, that hunt was all fun until just after I pulled the trigger on my muzzle loader.

Had a similar experience in Utah....this is the reason that, to this very day, there is a couple hundred feet of static rope and a pair of pulleys in my hunting truck. I HATE dragging deer, especially uphill....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,711 Senior Member
    Thinking about this issue for awhile, I think one should do what they want; IE, go walk in the woods or not, go plink or not, go collect firewood or not, take a camera in the woods and take photos.

Or sit at home wondering.

I just do what I want as tempered by what I can do and as I age, what I can do gets less.

Wish I took my own advice, because today I saw the smallest box turtle I've ever seen; no camera.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,934 Senior Member

Oh heck, man, if we're going to swap war stories, let me tell you about my first elk.

It was the lead cow in a group of 6-8 elk, and very big for a cow. Based on the weight of a skinned hind quarter, someone estimated her live weight to be about 600 lbs. That's proabably on the heavy side, but she was big.

She dropped on a steep incline, but I was able to roll her down part of it to a slightly less steep spot. I had bought a folding saw to cut through bone, but somehow manged to leave it behind. Then, after opening her up with my folding Buck hunter, and laying it down, she slid down the hillside just enough to cover it up. I ended up field dressing her with my pocket knife, which was a folding stockman with 3 blades. I manged to break the largest blade while cutting through the pelvic bone, but somehow managed to get her gutted.

I spent all of the next day dragging her out piece at a time. She dropped about a mile from the nearest road. Fortunately for me, it was a downhill drag.

Did I also mention that the meat I got from her was absolutely without a doubt the best tasting meat I've ever had, before or since? Wonder why that was???

I also have a story about packing out a deer, but I'll save that for later.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...sometimes you guys make me giggle, ya got a long ways to go before you start talkin "Tuff Packs"...
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Oh heck, man, if we're going to swap war stories, let me tell you about my first elk.

It was the lead cow in a group of 6-8 elk, and very big for a cow. Based on the weight of a skinned hind quarter, someone estimated her live weight to be about 600 lbs. That's proabably on the heavy side, but she was big.

She dropped on a steep incline, but I was able to roll her down part of it to a slightly less steep spot. I had bought a folding saw to cut through bone, but somehow manged to leave it behind. Then, after opening her up with my folding Buck hunter, and laying it down, she slid down the hillside just enough to cover it up. I ended up field dressing her with my pocket knife, which was a folding stockman with 3 blades. I manged to break the largest blade while cutting through the pelvic bone, but somehow managed to get her gutted.

I spent all of the next day dragging her out piece at a time. She dropped about a mile from the nearest road. Fortunately for me, it was a downhill drag.

Did I also mention that the meat I got from her was absolutely without a doubt the best tasting meat I've ever had, before or since? Wonder why that was???

I also have a story about packing out a deer, but I'll save that for later.

Been there done that! Its always the BIGGEST cows too lol. I have a similar one I don't feel like getting into just now (its a novel) but I got BACK near 300lbs of meat....something like 274lbs.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    Shot a deer once on a real steep slope. Once it was down I tied its head to a tree and started to gut it. The damn rope broke and the carcase tumbled over on top of the gut pile splitting it open and coating the outside of the deer with a real ungodly mess. I finished gutting it and I managed to drag it uphill towards the jeep which was only about a half mile away parked on the side of the road. Managed to get it to the road but couldnt lift it over the fence without getting my clothes in a real mess. I then remembered that I had forgotten to bring a change of clothes with me. As it was on dark and there was no traffic, I figured that I could strip off, pick it up and lift it over the fence, put it in the back of the Jeep, then wash myself off in a nearby cow trough before getting dressed.

Sooooooo, I strip off, get it over the fence, open the back of the jeep and tried to lift it inside. The antlers got caught in the headlining of the jeep when I got it halfway in and off the ground. It was pretty heavy and I knew that if I dropped it on the ground I would not have the strength to lift it again. So, I braced the carcase on the tailgate by pushing against it with my lower body and leaned forward to unhook its head.........Just as a car came around the corner and lit up the whole scene with its headlights.
    I lost my grip and fell over backwards ending up with the carcase on top of me!!

So, there I am, naked underneath a deer which is still hooked in the headlining and with its rump resting on my 'nether' regions and unable to move. A couple more cars went by as I struggled to free myself before I managed to grab its back legs and by pulling them sideways I managed to get out from underneath.

Shortly afterwards the police arrived. My hearing is scheduled for next month.

Moral of the story:
    Pulling on a dead deer's leg isnt half as much fun as pulling you guy's legs...........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Hmm.....those are some odd kiwi shenanigans....you know that trip I'm trying to plan over there? ......think I might be safer at OJR's place.....LOL j/k buddy.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Let me know when you go. I'll go if it's a weekend I don't work...
    Sure thing. We've gone the last 6 or so weekends in a row, it's a very nice state range.
    We could go to Delaware, or somewhere closer to you. I'd like to check out Thunder Valley.
    JB, you ever been to Spring Valley? They have a nice outdoor range with everything from bow to rifle and at everything from 15ft to 100yards. Nice place, I just hate the drive. Its kinda close to the inlaws house, near xenia.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Reminds me of an old feller out in Utah, when he found out shotguns were mandatory for deer hunting in part of Michigan, he couldn't believe it. Just didn't think they could possibly be accurate enough. Went so far as to bet me I couldn't hit a 5 gallon bucket at 100 yards...said he'd pay me 5 bucks every time I hit it. My 870 with a Hasting Slug barrel won me the easiest $50.00 I ever made.

Utter nonsense...those laws in those states are as old as the hills, and were enacted with the belief that center fire rifles could not be safely used in heavily populated areas...the anti's had nothing to do with it...

I don't believe the antis had nothing to do with their ultimate passage. The original idea may have been generated by people with legitimate complaints, but the Antis are there to make sure any anti hunting laws get passed.
    Also, I never said a shotgun won't kill a deer, I just don't like it because it doesn't turn my crank.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I don't believe the antis had nothing to do with their ultimate passage. The original idea may have been generated by people with legitimate complaints, but the Antis are there to make sure any anti hunting laws get passed.
    You mistake the intent of my post Snake....most of the "shotgun" only laws have been on the books for decades (Michigans was enacted in 1948), before the "anti-" movement reared it's ugly head. Had to do with population density as opposed to any feelings by folks that hunting was a bad thing...

Strangely, when I was moved (kicking and screaming) to Michigan in my teens, it was still legal to use a .22 rimfire to shoot deer in the now "shotgun only" zone...
  • U TU T Member Posts: 423 Member
    On a cold day, when my hands are frozen, I fantasise about getting my hands into some warm innards.
    cpj wrote: »
    While I agree with 98% of your post, I dont agree with the above. Because, I would eat the trimmings off of a steak if cooked. I would NOT eat the butt hole of a deer. (raw or cooked) Just sayin.

I've got a great recipe for those if you want..kinda like calamari...
    Oh hell... Now there is butt hole involved in the process???? Not sure I wanna know.
    Oh hell... Now there is butt hole involved in the process???? Not sure I wanna know.

Well........most critters DO have one....
    cpj wrote: »
    I needed that after today, thanks. That's ing hilarious.

Of course now anytime I eat calamari, I am going to take a good second look before biting into it....

Just watch out for the really chewy ones...