Home Main Category Hunting

Hunter attacked by feral hog

MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior MemberPosts: 819 Senior Member
Looks like he'll be alright, but it could've turned out a lot worse.

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=6200

Who goes hog hunting with a .22 Mag? I'm no hog hunter, but it seems like he was undergunned for hogs and a little overgunned for squirrels.....

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,746 Senior Member
    I've been known to use a knife from time to time.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,324 Senior Member
    .22 Mag behind the ear will drop a hog.
    Dont think he was ready for one to be up close and personal
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Looks like he'll be alright, but it could've turned out a lot worse.

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=6200

Who goes hog hunting with a .22 Mag? I'm no hog hunter, but it seems like he was undergunned for hogs and a little overgunned for squirrels.....

To kill a hog, even a large boar, at relatively close range, 30-50 yards, a 22 Mag is more than enough (Shot Placement) for most experienced hunters. Hogs very seldom will attack a hunter. They more often than not will run for the next zip code. But there is always a chance one will attack. And that's why I never go out walking for hogs under gunned. Because if you do draw the black bean and you are under gunned, you're butt could be mud.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Diver43 wrote: »
    .22 Mag behind the ear will drop a hog.
    Dont think he was ready for one to be up close and personal

Diver, I agree with you on both counts. But it would have been nice to have had a larger rifle or even a shotgun with slugs or buckshot. But the bottom lines are he survived and we should never take wildlife for granted. Sometimes they will do something you don't expect them to.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,746 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    And I'm going to go and tie them up in March.
    Maybe, just maybe, I'm not right.

Meh, much like a snake........just stay away from the sharp end and you'll be perfectly fine.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Hopefully the dogs will take care of the sharp end.

Y'all can both have my share of the ropes, knives, and dogs out in the long grass. I like the sharp end of my rifle.

I have only been out with dogs once. The dogs wearing kevlar armor and collers chased down the hogs and held them by the ears. Both were some type of bulldog mix and had no fear of a 240lb hog.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 wrote: »
    I have only been out with dogs once. The dogs wearing kevlar armor and collers chased down the hogs and held them by the ears. Both were some type of bulldog mix and had no fear of a 240lb hog.

Diver around here hog dogs are usually part or whole pit bull. They are meaner than a "Junk Yard Dog!"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,175 Senior Member
    Maybe, just maybe, I'm not right.
    :uhm:
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    So this guy heard a squirrel up the bayou a ways but he did not hear, see, or smell a wild hog 6 feet away. Gotchya.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    The guys I went with used pits. Nice, well mannered animals.

Till they got on a hog. They had a stick they used to pry their jaws open when they wouldn't let go of the pig.

I've done the dog and knife thing before. Catch dogs were a pit, a Dogo Argentino, and a pit/dogo mix. All three were the way you describe, especially that Dogo. When we weren't hunting, just hanging out at the cabin, all he wanted to do was sit at your feet and wait to be petted.

That Dogo was the most impressive dog I've ever seen. 120 pounds of solid muscle, and a complete marshmellow with people.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
    USUFB wrote: »
    I've done the dog and knife thing before. Catch dogs were a pit, a Dogo Argentino, and a pit/dogo mix. All three were the way you describe, especially that Dogo. When we weren't hunting, just hanging out at the cabin, all he wanted to do was sit at your feet and wait to be petted.

That Dogo was the most impressive dog I've ever seen. 120 pounds of solid muscle, and a complete marshmellow with people.

I've seen pits like that too. My son has one. She is as gentle as a lamb but she can be vicious at the drop of a hat.
    My son, who is a charter boat captain, had to go down to South America to work with his boss's buddy on a tradeoff deal during the off season up here, so he left his dog with his mother, my ex who in Mozambique, up the road from cpj aways. While there she got into an altercation with my ex's dog and my son's dog almost killed it. It cost my ex about $1100 in vet bills by the time the dog recovered. Whether you're a human, another dog, or a hog, you don't really want to mess with a pit bull dog.
    So this guy heard a squirrel up the bayou a ways but he did not hear, see, or smell a wild hog 6 feet away. Gotchya.

Razor, back when I used to hunt deer up around Haletsville (Texas), about 70 miles north of here, one evening as I was sitting in my blind waiting on my son to pick me up, I looked up toward the feeder and not 15 yards from me were about 15 big hogs. I never heard them walk up or smelled anything. It was like some alien ship had beamed em down right in front of me. Hogs can be as stealth a deer.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Razor, back when I used to hunt deer up around Haletsville (Texas), about 70 miles north of here, one evening as I was sitting in my blind waiting on my son to pick me up, I looked up toward the feeder and not 15 yards from me were about 15 big hogs. I never heard them walk up or smelled anything. It was like some alien ship had beamed em down right in front of me. Hogs can be as stealth a deer.

you say so man, I juft don't think even a deer coulg get within 6 ft of me without my notice, This guy is a frequent poster on that website, Perhaps he just told a good dtory
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,175 Senior Member
    you say so man, I juft don't think even a deer coulg get within 6 ft of me without my notice, This guy is a frequent poster on that website, Perhaps he just told a good dtory

Wind it all depends on wind

Yeah, well maybe you got something there. 6 feet is a bit close even for stealthy animals. I guess you could at least smell 'em. He may have just been preoccupied (Day Dreaming). Although I have heard of people around here stumbling almost on top of hogs. The lady that hunts next to me said her daughter stumbled right on top of about 20 sows and piglets this past deer season, but she said they all ran off. No hog attack. But she was ready because she had her .308 Model 742 Remington fully loaded. She said she never got a shot they ran off so fast into the brush.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I tend to think that older feral hogs are individuals that cannot always be predicted. I know from my own experiences and listening to experienced hog hunters that, in general, hogs prefer flight to fight, but it is not a 100% certainty. Also, it is very easy to creep up on one, when in squirrel hunting mode, if the wind is in your face, and if they panic, they may make the mistake of running towards you instead of away from you.

That's why I chose 10mm for my 'woods handgun.' The reality is probably that I couldn't get it out and on target in time, but I want the option, in case the circumstances do allow for a shot. This has more to do with taking advantage of an opportunity than the need for self-defense, but I'll admit that it does make me feel more comfortable when carrying a .22 rifle (or no rifle).
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,167 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »

That's why I chose 10mm for my 'woods handgun.'

Same here. Works for any possible threats I may encounter.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of carrying something of substantial caliber ANYTIME I'm in the woods. 10mm I think is a great choice but just to be fair my cousin Cpt Stan, rolled a 180 lb Georgia feral piggy with a 185gr HP .45acp just to prove a point.

Where did the bullets strike the pig? I mean the pig is dead, I'm just curious. Wen I hunt with my .45. I like hardcast and heavy bullets, like 300 grains heavy, with a big 'ol meplat.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,767 Senior Member

Be sure to take your Ninjer tree climbing boots.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of carrying something of substantial caliber ANYTIME I'm in the woods. 10mm I think is a great choice but just to be fair my cousin Cpt Stan, rolled a 180 lb Georgia feral piggy with a 185gr HP .45acp just to prove a point.

My usual woods carry is something in .45acp. I have no issues dropping pigs with 185 and 230 grain bullets, a nicely placed round just below the eye or behind the era will drop them like a stone. I've also dropped more than a few in the traps with a .22 lr.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    The key to safe hog hunting is to catch them by surprise.

I'm pretty sure one of the primates in this clip is Zee.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I always walk to the stand with my G20 in my hand in case there is one that is feisty.

Even if I am carrying my 30-06 or SKS, I feel more confident at really close ranges with my Glock 10mm loaded with 15 factory silvertips.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Can you say "Ole Yeller?"
    Six-Gun wrote: »

Are you sure they're not from Mozambique???
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,771 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »

I just had this image in my mind of cpj sneaking up on a pig and throwing Buffy at it. :roll2:
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Another vote for a Glock 20 with an aftermarket longer barrel.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Hopefully you won't be reading about me. Gonna try and hog tie some this weekend...

PICS we need lots of pics
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    I've killed three,
    one with a compound bow, one with a recurve, and one with an atlatl
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    JLDickmon wrote: »
    I've killed three,
    one with a compound bow, one with a recurve, and one with an atlatl

atlatl? Where did you practice that?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester: