Home Main Category Personal Defense

Fla. jurors deliberate in loud music killing trial

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
I think he will be convicted of some kinda murder.

From what I've read, it doesn't look like a Stand Your Ground kinda case to me.

http://www.waff.com/story/24699839/fla-jurors-deliberate-in-loud-music-killing-trial
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Agreed. ASSUMING the press reported the truth. Big assumption that one is though.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,143 Senior Member
    Moral to this story: The first one to call the cops wins.....frankly, the guy is an idiot....not because of the shooting - but because he chose to leave the scene and order a pizza...and call LE the next day...Nobody that stupid should be walking the streets...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Moral to this story: The first one to call the cops wins.....frankly, the guy is an idiot....not because of the shooting - but because he chose to leave the scene and order a pizza...and call LE the next day...Nobody that stupid should be walking the streets...

Basically and he lived about 5 minutes from me (not in Jacksonville, his home town).
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I had a similar encounter in a Wal-Mart parking lot. A carload of kids pulled up close to me with the speakers blaring rap. I had a better weapon than a gun- - - -a cassette tape of Slim Whitman yodeling. Cranked up my speakers, and they moved away in a hurry after sending a few unprintable remarks my way!
    :devil:
    Jerry
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    On our local news they've been showing a video from a survelance camera in the parking lot and it shows the guy fire a volly of shots at the back of the SUV and pause, and then fire a few more. He fired ten shots into the vehicle and none of the guys that he feared are shown out of the vehicle. They may have ran their mouths and threatened him but there's no audio and no image of any of them outside of their vehicle. When he's standing at the back of their vehicle with a gun pointed at it and none of them are outside of the vehicle, it's kinda tough to say you shot in self defense.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    No telling what is not being truthfully reported by the media. If this was indeed over loud "music" then he should have just drove away and gone somewhere else. The guy is an idiot for sticking around after the slurs and epithets started. If the punks did brandish a weapon (which could have been ditched) then by all means send out the lead. Regardless, if this was a black man vs white punks or black against black, white against white etc.. then this wouldn't even be an issue. Rest assured the racist Jackson and Sharpton are involved to showcase the 'white devil'.
    Teach wrote: »
    I had a similar encounter in a Wal-Mart parking lot. A carload of kids pulled up close to me with the speakers blaring rap. I had a better weapon than a gun- - - -a cassette tape of Slim Whitman yodeling. Cranked up my speakers, and they moved away in a hurry after sending a few unprintable remarks my way!
    :devil:
    Jerry

Jimmie Roger's "Blue Yodel no.5" (T For Texas) works very well also.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,591 Senior Member
    I think his main problem is that the gun he claims he saw wouldn't be visible on the surveillance video, and so far as I've seen, no witnesses reported seeing it either. If they ditched it when they drove away, I don't see how he's going to stay out of prison.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    I think his main problem is that the gun he claims he saw wouldn't be visible on the surveillance video, and so far as I've seen, no witnesses reported seeing it either. If they ditched it when they drove away, I don't see how he's going to stay out of prison.

I tend to agree. This dumb sheet could have advoided the whole incident by simply keeping his mouth shut and driven somewhere else. Instead, he will be spending decades in prison if not life.
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 386 Member
    All the above, plus..... what contributing member of society goes to a convenient store for wine anyways?
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,143 Senior Member
    Since his girlfriend was in the store, I can understand him not leaving...but moving the car was certainly an option...he had all kinds of options before he went to guns....I think he's probably hosed....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    And the lesson is, never park next to a vehicle full of urban yutes blasting thumping music, Nothing good can come from it.
    All the national news talking heads I've seen report on this story have said trayvon martin more than anything else. You just can't go all full mag dump because some punk gets mouthy and I can't imagine leaving that parking lot without 911 on the horn.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    All the above, plus..... what contributing member of society goes to a convenient store for wine anyways?

Hey, I used to buy Boone's Farm strawberry flavored wine in 7-11s back in the day :rotflmao::rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Yep, jury is still out today Friday. I think they will tack his balls to the proverbial barn door on this one.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/13/justice/florida-loud-music-trial/
    I tend to agree. This dumb sheet could have advoided the whole incident by simply keeping his mouth shut and driven somewhere else. Instead, he will be spending decades in prison if not life.

And I think a jury will see it this way, too. "Stand your ground" is not going to hold up in this case. It was a mutually confrontational encounter, NOT an assailant/victim encounter. The whole thing could have been avoided if he'd not mistaken his AARP card for permission to be crotchity.

I'm all about CCW for SD, but I just don't see much valid evidence to support the defendant's case.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    These situations really underscore the idea that a CCL is not a license to be stupid or confrontational. It's an absolute last-resort option when things can't be resolved by leaving the scene, ignoring the jerk who is provoking a response, or even running away in some circumstances. An overdose of testosterone on both sides of things probably triggered a totally inappropriate action. Now he will probably get to pay a terrible price for a moment of stupidity.
    Jerry
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    No telling what is not being truthfully reported by the media. If this was indeed over loud "music" then he should have just drove away and gone somewhere else. The guy is an idiot for sticking around after the slurs and epithets started. If the punks did brandish a weapon (which could have been ditched) then by all means send out the lead. Regardless, if this was a black man vs white punks or black against black, white against white etc.. then this wouldn't even be an issue. Rest assured the racist Jackson and Sharpton are involved to showcase the 'white devil'.

Darn, you beat me to it Kayaker. Just what I thought, a black man would have had Sharpton & Jackson for support & a lawyer.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,567 Senior Member
    Leaving the scene and taking no action to contact police says a lot about what he thought he did.
    JKP wrote: »
    Leaving the scene and taking no action to contact police says a lot about what he thought he did.

He went and ordered a pizza or something...
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,617 Senior Member
    The suspect was not black, the victim was not white. What I'm saying is "There is no there, there." A hothead, apparently, who shouldn't be packing a flip, much less a deadly weapon.

Wasn't the guy who shot the unarmed texter also from Florida?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    The movie shooter is a retired police captain- - - -not sure where the incident happened.
    Jerry
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,567 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    The movie shooter is a retired police captain- - - -not sure where the incident happened.
    Jerry

Greater Tampa area.
    Update- - - -it seems the judge cleared the courtroom to keep spectators from hearing the loud "deliberations" from the jury room. I think they're headed for a mistrial, or "lesser included", maybe?
    Jerry
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    I'm really surprised they are deliberating this long (longer than the Zimmerman jury). I really can't see anything that would let this dude walk.
    The panel is made up of black, white, Asian, and Hispanic jurors. I can see the possibility for this one becoming a huge whizzing contest about which charge to convict on.
    Jerry
    He faces 60 years in the pen and another trial for murder.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/16/us-usa-florida-shooting-dunn-idUSBREA1E0MR20140216

"(Reuters) - A north Florida jury convicted a white, middle-aged man on Saturday of three counts of attempted murder for opening fire on a car of black teenagers during an argument over loud rap music, but could not reach a verdict on a murder charge for the killing of a 17-year-old in the car."
  • Shooter13Shooter13 Member Posts: 125 Member
    This guy is going down!! He told jury he just wanted to make them go away?? Emptied the clip to make them go away?? No he wanted everyone in that car dead..
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    Once again the Florida States Attorneys Office overcharges (as they did in the Zimmerman case and the Anthony case). No way they were going to make First Degree Murder charges stick. It's not like the guy hunted the kid down and shot him. If they had charged with Second Degree Murder, Dunn would have been convicted of that (IMHO). It almost seems the SA is rigging these cases to fail in order undermine SYG.
    I know that rattle your windows music is very irritating, but I never wanted to shoot anyone over it. I sometimes wished/daydreamed I had an electronic device that I could push a button on and it would blow out their amplifier and speakers when a car pulls up next to me and my widows and doors start rattling. :devil:

Dang, what about their hearing?
    A few years ago, a particularly obnoxious jerk in Nashville left his rap blasting and his driver's window down when he went into a convenience store to make a purchase. I watched a guy pour a whole quart of motor oil onto the driver's seat of the car, then climb into his own vehicle and drive off!
    Jerry