Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

LEAD STORY Our Cold Dead Hands (News of the Weird)

sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior MemberPosts: 1,933 Senior Member
I found this gem in todays News of the Weird.

The semi-obscure Florida Statute 790.15 took center stage in January following a Miami Herald report of a resident of the town of Big Pine Key who routinely target-shoots his handgun in his yard, with impunity, to the consternation of neighbors. The statute permits open firing on private property (except shooting over a public right of way or an occupied dwelling), and several cities have tried, unsuccessfully, to restrict that right, citing "public safety" in residential neighborhoods. (A 2011 lobbying campaign by the National Rifle Association, and a state supreme court decision, nixed any change in the law.) "Negligent" shooting is illegal, but only a misdemeanor. Thus, even skillful shooting next door to a day care center or in a small yard that abuts a high-trafficked pedestrian street is likely perfectly legal. One Florida legislator who was originally from Alaska noted that even in Anchorage people cannot fire at will in their yards. [Miami Herald, 1-26-2014]

My questions are 1). Why is this weird? 2). If the target shooter is not violating any laws or ordinances. Why is this news? Of course the "evil" NRA lobbied to allow this abomination to continue! I grew up in a completely different world. I lived in a semi rural neighborhood. I shot gophers in my parent's small orchard from my bedroom window. I used my Remington 512 .22 LR (which I still own). I shot with the muzzle 3 feet inside the window so as not to disturb our only close neighbors. At 12 years old I could throw my Remington across the handlebars of my bicycle and ride a couple of miles traversing our small towns business district to County property by the river to target shoot (plink). I would stop at a corner grocery store to buy a couple boxes of .22 LR at 40 cents per. No one blinked an eye. At 14 years old I saved up and purchased a new Mossberg .22 WMR (which I still own) from a sporting goods store. $34.49 plus 3 boxes of ammo at $1.20 each. No one blinked an eye. At 16 years old I purchased a Ruger Super Blackhawk from a private party. I was target shooting at the same County property when a Sheriffs deputy appeared. He said someone from a neighborhood which was over 1/2 mile away had complained that someone was shooting a cannon. The deputy stated that I had a proper backstop and was doing nothing illegal. He was very interested in the Super Blackhawk. He asked if he could shoot it just once. I told him he could shoot a cylinder full. He was a little concerned about the myth that due to the excessive recoil the .44 magnum "killed on both ends"! assured him that the report was much more uncomfortable than the recoil. I had tried it with a 2 hand grip which induced heavy recoil. With a 1 hand grip the Colt style grips rolled back as they were designed and recoil was not bad at all. I loaned the Deputy my earplugs and used my little fingers. He fired all 6 rounds and was amazed that it did not hurt at all. He reciprocated by letting me shoot a cylinder full of .357 Magnums from his S&W service revolver. As I stated before it was a completely different world when the police were the law abiding citizens friend!

Replies

• JeeperJeeper Senior Member Tampa, FL areaPosts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Yep. I'd like to go back to the old days with less Gov't intrusion on our lives.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug