Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Police Beat, Stun Deaf Man After Confusing Sign Language With Threatening Gestures

CaliFFLCaliFFL Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
How threatening can a sign gesture be? Even the single finger salute isn't threatening. Insulting maybe, but not a threat.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/02/17/police-beat-stun-deaf-man-after-confusing-sign-language-with-threatening-gestures/
Police released a statement that said, in part: “Officers make every effort to communicate effectively…In almost all cases, it is the person’s behavior and actions who we contact that dictate police response rather than the communication barriers present. That is certainly the case in this specific matter…”

B. S.
When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• pjames777pjames777 Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    :mad: Sensitivity training in Kalifornia is sorely missing! Back in the 70's Concord Police department arrested a deaf, mute, disabled man four times before the parents threatened to sue. They thought he was drunk or high on drugs each time....talk about stupid!
  • tennmiketennmike Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Stupid jackholes! I hope he gets at least a high 8-9 figure settlement in the lawsuit. Maybe that would be incentive enough to train the clowns out there in uniform to deal with non verbal people.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • tennmiketennmike Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    This one is even worse. A 17 y.o. was shot when he answered the door with a Wii controller in his hand. Administrative leave for the shooter. Ought to be sitting in jail on at LEAST negligent homicide charges.

http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/child-gunned-cop-answering-door-holding-wii-controler/#axzz2tn9SOzHq

EUHARLEE, Ga. — A Euharlee police officer opened fire on 17-year-old Christopher Roupe while serving a warrant for probation violation on the child’s father, claiming the boy pointed a gun at her.

But when neighbors ran up the home, they instead found a Wii remote in the boy’s dead hands.

According to the attorney for the family, Cole Law, “The eyewitnesses on the scene clearly state that he had a Wii controller in his hand. He heard a knock at the door. He asked who it was, there was no response so he opened the door and upon opening the door he was immediately shot in the chest.”

The victim, a student at Woodland High School, aspired to join the Marines and participated in his school’s ROTC program.

The officer responsible for the shooting is currently on administrative leave.

Read more at TLR: Child Gunned Down by Cop for Answering Door Holding Wii Controller (VIDEO) | The Libertarian Republic http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/child-gunned-cop-answering-door-holding-wii-controler/#ixzz2tnxXeBXO
    Follow us: @LibRepublic on Twitter | LibertarianRepublic on Facebook
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • horselipshorselips Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Not a gamer, I Googled "Wii Controller" to see what it looked like. It looks a lot more like a cable television remote than a gun. It doesn't even look as menacing as a half-eaten Pop Tart, or a map of Florida. I'm sure this Euharlee police officer is devastated by her mistake, nevertheless, I hope she's made to feel even worse by serving a long sentence for manslaughter, and City Hall is beaten and humbled when an astronomical award is won by the Roupe family.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    This one is even worse. A 17 y.o. was shot when he answered the door with a Wii controller in his hand. Administrative leave for the shooter.

Wow. Just wow.

If this were my kid, she'd need to move far away, change her name, and look over her shoulder for the rest of her life.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• Fat BillyFat Billy Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    As I've said before, a High School diploma and passing a piss test does not a police officer make. The pay is too low to draw applicants with smarts and education. We're getting what we pay for. Many officers are seen directing traffic to make money, many times the job directing traffic pays more than the police job. We should pay our Police more a require college education AND put two officers per car. Cost too much? How expensive are prisons? Two educated Police officers will probably not shoot a paper delivery truck so many times. Once the public knows two officers are always together much of the B.S. will stop. If we make some changes this sort of problems will be greatly limited if not prevented. Go Po Po! :applause: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    How threatening can a sign gesture be? Even the single finger salute isn't threatening. Insulting maybe, but not a threat.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/02/17/police-beat-stun-deaf-man-after-confusing-sign-language-with-threatening-gestures/

B. S.

I deal with a deaf person a few times a year. They are boisterous because they want to be "heard" and communicate loudly with their hands, knowing it's harder to be noticed in a conversation if you can't speak. Wonder how they'll s'plain their way out of this one.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Posts: 14,848 Senior Member
    How out of touch would you have to be to not recognize someone using sign language?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    How out of touch would you have to be to not recognize someone using sign language?

Especially someone that is not speaking at all.

Adam J. McCleod

• bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Posts: 2,614 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Especially someone that is not speaking at all.

Exactly +1 :up:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Posts: 6,637 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »

That, and borrowing from the other story, how jumpy does a cop have to be to plug somebody like that? I can understand 'starting' a little when somebody answers the door holding something, but for the first reaction to be to pull iron and blaze away....Wow.

This all assumes that the story is as posted and not some slanted piece telling half the story.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    hey, if the LAPD can beat a bear into thinking he's a rabbit...
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.