Home Main Category Hunting

Favorite handgun for hunting

WORLD TWORLD T MemberPosts: 262 Member
Since it is about that time, I was wondering what all of you handgun hunters are using this year to take the critters with? Caliber, make, model, scoped or not?

Replies

• BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    I've used this one before to take a doe. Sans scope.
    Blackhawk.jpg

But now it wears a scope and I'd like to take another deer or hog this years with it.
    BisleyHunterwithPentaxScope.jpg

This one hasn't seen blood in my hands so it needs some field time as well.
    ThreeScrewBlackhawk8.jpg

Maybe I'll get lucky on a close shot and this one will get to stomp something.
    SW44MagMountainGun21.jpg

All .44 Mags.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,575 Senior Member
    I'm thinking about trying my 5.5" stainless Blackhawk Bisley, 45 Colt this year. I've never handgun hunted, but I'm gonna give it a whirl this year. Otherwise, it'll be a 7.5" SRH.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    I've been toying with the idea for a while. I might actually go through with it this winter and pick up an Encore or something. I'm more interested in the real high power single shot stuff. Maybe even try it for every tag I get next year? Couple deer, some goats, an elk? Got some ideas in mind, just need money!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Does anyone here use a .357 for deer or hogs, or is it just not big enough?

What I would like to do is go archery, except use a hand gun. In other words use an archery style tree blind, all the Camo, all the descenting and everything to get the deer to walk under the blind or within 30-40 yards and nail it with the revolver.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Does anyone here use a .357 for deer or hogs, or is it just not big enough?

What I would like to do is go archery, except use a hand gun. In other words use an archery style tree blind, all the Camo, all the descenting and everything to get the deer to walk under the blind or within 30-40 yards and nail it with the revolver.

I've killed a couple of deer with my 6" Dan Wesson .357...While some consider the .357 Mag too light for deer, I ain't one of them...if you stick to archery ranges, use a good bullet, practice shooting from an elevated position before hand,and place your shot correctly, it will do the job for you....Good Luck!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I've killed a couple of deer with my 6" Dan Wesson .357...While some consider the .357 Mag too light for deer, I ain't one of them...if you stick to archery ranges, use a good bullet, practice shooting from an elevated position before hand,and place your shot correctly, it will do the job for you....Good Luck!

Agreed. The .357 is plenty of gun for smaller to midsize deer at appropriate ranges.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,502 Senior Member
    All of mine are scoped.
    If you are talking single-shot specialty handguns, there are many options.
    For revolvers I like FA's in either 44 mag, 45LC or 454 Casull.
    Couple years ago I shot both a mule deer and a antelope with a 454.
    IMG_3263.jpg
    IMG_3259.jpg
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member
    I will be going out again with my S&W 629 with a 7.5" barrel. I have a Zeiss Z Point on it during hunting season. Ammo will be Corbon DPX
    I use to always dream about having a FA revolver in .454. They are sweet guns. In fact, when Wambli and I met Dan for the first time. It just happened to be at the FA booth at the SHOT Show. He was looking at their gun and we walked up behind him and said, "Shocker! You at a revolver booth drooling over handguns.". It was a perfect place to meet him.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...Mod. 657 .41 Mag 8 3/8" (top)...

SWrevolvers.jpg

...back in the "Dark Ages" (before hearing protection, PAST shooting gloves, Hogue grips, etc.), I figgered out it was much better to hit something 4-5/ 6 w/ a .41 than 2-3/ 6 w/ a .44. I remember my 629's being pretty miserable to shoot, loaded w/ H110 or 2400, funny how shooting the same bullets w/ something like Lil'Gun & ear plugs make the .44's rather pleasant...:jester:
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,160 Senior Member
    This is what I am going to try and take a deer with this year:

red.jpg

.454 Casull.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,717 Senior Member
    A handgun won't be my primary gun.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    Ernie I would love to pick your brain about choices/options and such for getting a single shot! Especially since you are hunting the exact same range of game as I would be.
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Here is me with my 1911 in 9x23 Winchester and the deer I got with it...

SANY0330.JPG

I will be taking a .460 S&W out with me this year. I still have to pick it up at the LGS...

170280_01_md.jpg
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Call me. 307-257-7431
    I can talk faster than I can type :)
    Ernie I would love to pick your brain about choices/options and such for getting a single shot! Especially since you are hunting the exact same range of game as I would be.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I'll give you a holler later this afternoon Ernie! Much appreciated
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I don't do much intentional handgun hunting but I have taken deer, pigs and the occasional snake with a handgun. I would say the Kimber Warrior 1911 is probably my favorite for woods handgunning.
    PigsDec222009.jpg
    bigsnake1001072.jpg
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • temmitemmi Member Posts: 230 Member
    Mine are
    480R SRH open sights
    45 Colt Ruger BH Open sights

But the only HG I have taken an animal with is my 1911 in 45 ACP

and only Varments at 50yrds or less
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    I'd like to use my scoped S&W 686 .357mag to take something this year. I have a few Grizzly 180gr. hard cast bullets left and I've been seeing a scrawny spike near my feeder quite regularly. Maybe this year.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    This is what I am going to try and take a deer with this year:

red.jpg

.454 Casull.

That's a cool picture.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    .44 mag Super Blackhawk 7.5 barrel sans scope.
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 478 Member
    Ernie, if I may ask....

Do you recall the distances on that Mulie and the Antelope? Very, very cool....:up:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    .44 mag Super Blackhawk 7.5 barrel sans scope.

Now That! would be cool. I love Ruger single actions. I keep saying I'm not that into handguns, but there are some that really turn my crank and the Super Blackhawk is one. I loves Ruger Single Actions and S&W Double Actions. Oh and of course, having Red American Blood and all, I do love 1911s. But the Black Hawk may be my next hand gun.
    I figure a semi long barrel Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag. with good open sights would be a great tree stand hunting hand gun.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Antelope was under 100 yards prone, and mule was around 80, seated with shooting sticks.
    bklysen wrote: »
    Ernie, if I may ask....

Do you recall the distances on that Mulie and the Antelope? Very, very cool....:up:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    I'm hoping to get a shot at a hawg with this. S&W 29.

Luis

<eta> Anybody know why it's only posting a little itty bitty thumbnail that you have to click on to see the real pic, instead of posting the entire pic?
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    Ernie and Wild Gene..........where did you get those holsters? Ernie.....can I see a better picture of yours? I need a holster hor a scoped bisley hunter.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...my buddy just had one built for a .500 S&W, a Bisley should be no problem...

http://ringlercustomleather.com/catalog/i2.html
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    bigsnake1001072.jpg

Now that's a GOOD snake. (P.S. - don't pass that comment on to my wife, she still has plans to bring a pet python or boa into the house at some point... :jester: )
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,160 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    That's a cool picture.

Thank you.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov