Home Main Category General Firearms

New to Reloading Question

pjames777pjames777 Senior MemberPosts: 1,421 Senior Member
I'm finding that different pistol powders don't list all types of bullets for reloading with their powder. IE... TITEGROUP lists a 38 special 158 gr Cast LSWC at 3.4 - 3.8 grns. but not a plated flat point at 158 grns. QUESTION: If the weight of the bullet is the same can I use the 3.4 - 3.8 grn guide as a load for my 158 gr PFP bullet?

It seems every powder I have lists on several types of reload bullets but not the full spectrum. :silly:

Thanks,
Patrick

Replies

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    That's a fairly middle of the road load, you will be fine with plated bullets, there is really not a lot of difference between them and cast.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I think Rainer ballistics recommends you load their plated bullets using lead/cast data.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    When reloading, sometimes I'll sub. different bullets with the same weight, but never at max loadings at start. Start with a reduced load and see what happens uping your charge watching for accuracy and pressure changes. I'm not really into cast bullets in rifles but should not be any problems if common sense is used. I do use cast bullets in pistol loading sometimes. I like to check several different manuals when loading something different.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,043 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I think Rainer ballistics recommends you load their plated bullets using lead/cast data.

Berry's is the same with thier plated bullets
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    The guys gave you the skinny on plated bullets; use cast bullet data for them. But beware of the seating depth; use data for a similar bullet that has roughly the same profile as the plated bullet. Seating too deeply can make the pressure go up pretty quick, especially when approaching max powder charge.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Straight-walled pistol or rifle brass doesn't show the same pressure signs as a bottleneck round as dangerous pressures are developing- - - -be careful about approaching a max load with a substitute bullet. The bullet ogive and the bearing area in the rifling will have more to do with how chamber pressure develops than the jacket material in some cases. Sometimes the first "pressure warning" you'll see is a blown-out cylinder, but that's usually a result of loading a case full of fast powder like bullseye, or a compressed load of Unique, etc. Just use a little common sense if you're making a substitution of any component. I loaded a box of .38 Special ammo with magnum primers without reducing the powder charge when I ran out of small pistol primers, and ended up having to tap the ejector rod on the shooting bench to remove the cases, but I was shooting them in a Security Six .357, so the pressure spike didn't do any damage. Those same loads in a S&W Model 10 might have been a real problem!
    Jerry
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    As teach has stated, never sub. components with max loadings also check on accuracy as you progress, may not like what you develope. when doing this, never load hundreds of cartridges befor trying. May have to pull a lot of bullets.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Thanks gentlemen! Always a pleasure learning from the best!
    :cool2::cool2:
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    I can't add anything that the others haven't already said, other than be careful with Titegroup and substitutions. It's a fast burning powder and generally easy to work with, but as you can see, 0.4 grains is the difference between starting load and max load. Add another .2 and you're probably in +P range. A little change in powder, primer or bullet seating depth can make a difference. I love that powder for accurate medium-mild target loads. A little goes a long way.....