Home Main Category General Firearms

Son of A - Tell me about the 300 WSM

twatwa Senior MemberPosts: 2,245 Senior Member
Kind of bid on a whim on this one and didn't think I would win. .300 Winchester Short Magnum, who's got them and tell me about some loads you use. Will mainly be used for flat lands long range deer hunting I would assume, maybe just some range time. Will have to see how she shoot and maybe top it with a Nikon.
I have a 300 Win Mag, and a .300 RUM - pretty comparable I would guess??
This means I have to get some dies coming now. Geez.



http://www.gunauction.com/buy/12654126/

Replies

  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,890 Senior Member
    From what I understand it can get .300 WM velocities in a 2" shorter barrel, and uses a .308 Win. length action. That's about all I know.

    That and you suck. For that price I would have jumped all over it.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    You can achieve 3000 FPS with a 180 gr bullet, where a 30-06 would get 2700.

    With a BC of .45 At 30-06 would yield about 2500 fpe at 100 yards, 2130 fpe at 200 yards and 1800 fpe at 300 yards. With a 200 yard 0, it is 2 inches high at 100 and 8.5 inches low at 300.


    The 300 wssm at 3000 fps yields 3100 fpe at 100 yards, 2670 fpe at 200 yards and 2280 at 300 yards, a lot more energy at distance. With a 200 yard 0, it is 1.5 inches high at 100 and 6.7 inches low at 300.

    In a shorter lighter weight action.

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    I would have bid on that. I love my A Bolt. Nice pick up.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 971 Senior Member
    Being that it's an A-Bolt, I can practically guarantee it will shoot well...

    Even though the scope isn't high end, it's worth probably at least $50 to $75 even being used. I've had a couple of this exact model on some of my rimfire rifles--Not bad!!!
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...I think you'll like it, I've got 4 A-Bolts & all of 'em have shot MOA or better, much better outta the box. Recoil is manageable in a lighter rifle & performance is very close to a .300 WM. I'm getting 3050fps w/ 180's & 3200fps w/ 165's. I've been shooting a .300 WSM for 6yrs., have used it on 7 elk & 5 mule deer. You happened into a very good deal...
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    wildgene wrote: »
    ...I think you'll like it, I've got 4 A-Bolts & all of 'em have shot MOA or better, much better outta the box. Recoil is manageable in a lighter rifle & performance is very close to a .300 WM. I'm getting 3050fps w/ 180's & 3200fps w/ 165's. I've been shooting a .300 WSM for 6yrs., have used it on 7 elk & 5 mule deer. You happened into a very good deal...

    Looks like a 26" barrel and about 7 lbs., does that sound right wildgene? Kind of fits my want for another lighter hunting rifle, although the barrel length is a little more than desired.
    I thought that price was very good, just made a last minute bid and was very surprised that I got it for what I did.
    CPJ, I like your idea on the sand down and oil, looks like it could use it.
    I have never had an A-bolt but have heard good things about them, I was kind of kicking myself for the last minute bid, but you guys have me coming around.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,420 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    Looks like a 26" barrel and about 7 lbs., does that sound right wildgene? Kind of fits my want for another lighter hunting rifle, although the barrel length is a little more than desired.
    I thought that price was very good, just made a last minute bid and was very surprised that I got it for what I did.
    CPJ, I like your idea on the sand down and oil, looks like it could use it.
    I have never had an A-bolt but have heard good things about them, I was kind of kicking myself for the last minute bid, but you guys have me coming around.

    You should be kicking yourself. You got hosed! I'll take pity on you however, and give you $450 for it....... I know, I know...... I'm a Saint for doing it.... ;)
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    :rotflmao:
    The funds are drying up and I really had my heart set on a Gold Cup, thats the only reason I was kicking myself. :jester:
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,230 Senior Member
    Man-O-Man! That is quite a score. I am officially jealous.

    I shall defer to members who have direct experience with the cartridge.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,230 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    I have a 300 Win Mag, and a .300 RUM - pretty comparable I would guess??

    http://www.gunauction.com/buy/12654126/

    Have you ever considered a support group for those with a 300 Magnum fetish?
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    41magnut wrote: »
    Have you ever considered a support group for those with a 300 Magnum fetish?

    I like it! :applause:
    Actually, I think I would fit more in the .308 support group, I really have a problem there, I love that round, and have to many rifles that shoot it.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,018 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Never seen a Kimberly. Are they new?

    It's the "Salmon" colored model for Nancy Boys.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,018 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    You beast step the hell off! Lest you have a pack of fellas in shirts that ain't pink get medieval on yo butt!

    My apologies, Nancy.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,914 Senior Member
    Sounds like a good purchase-Congrats!
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    Looks like a 26" barrel and about 7 lbs., does that sound right wildgene? Kind of fits my want for another lighter hunting rifle, although the barrel length is a little more than desired.
    I thought that price was very good, just made a last minute bid and was very surprised that I got it for what I did.
    CPJ, I like your idea on the sand down and oil, looks like it could use it.
    I have never had an A-bolt but have heard good things about them, I was kind of kicking myself for the last minute bid, but you guys have me coming around.

    ...should be a 23" barrel @6.5#, unless it was one of the full line dealer specials (6.8#) Not to worry, the cartridge does just fine in the shorter barrel. My current .300 WSM is a T3 Lite w/ a 23.3" barrel & 4.5X14 VX-3, weighs 2-3oz. over 7#, recoil isn't anymore noticeable than .30-06 of the same weight. I've gotten the best results (MV/ accuracy) w/ near max charges of RL-17 in most of my WSM/ WSSM's. Never had any temp problems w/ RL-17, chrono'd loads from 87-20*(>20* my chrono isn't very reliable). None of the .300WSM's I've loaded for have been real picky about bullets, either. Doing your load work w/ Sierra GameKings, Hornadys, or DeepCurls, it shouldn't take much tweeking if you decide to use a "premium bullet" for hunting. One more thought, if you really don't like the gloss finish on the A-Bolt use some very fine steel wool to make it "satin", stripping the polymer finish used on the Brownings comes close to an exercise in futility, it's tough & "pressured" into the wood...
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    wildgene wrote: »
    ...should be a 23" barrel @6.5#, unless it was one of the full line dealer specials (6.8#) Not to worry, the cartridge does just fine in the shorter barrel. My current .300 WSM is a T3 Lite w/ a 23.3" barrel & 4.5X14 VX-3, weighs 2-3oz. over 7#, recoil isn't anymore noticeable than .30-06 of the same weight. I've gotten the best results (MV/ accuracy) w/ near max charges of RL-17 in most of my WSM/ WSSM's. Never had any temp problems w/ RL-17, chrono'd loads from 87-20*(>20* my chrono isn't very reliable). None of the .300WSM's I've loaded for have been real picky about bullets, either. Doing your load work w/ Sierra GameKings, Hornadys, or DeepCurls, it shouldn't take much tweeking if you decide to use a "premium bullet" for hunting. One more thought, if you really don't like the gloss finish on the A-Bolt use some very fine steel wool to make it "satin", stripping the polymer finish used on the Brownings comes close to an exercise in futility, it's tough & "pressured" into the wood...

    Even Better! 23" barrel at 6 1/2 lbs. is right was I have been looking for in a back up hunting rifle! Thanks for the info. Wildgene!
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,266 Senior Member
    I have a LH Model 70 in .300 WSM in a 24" 1 with a Brux barrel and she's one heck of a nail driving rifle. All told with scope and fully loaded and ready to hunt she's right at 8 lbs. Having said that her name is the mule as she kicks like one pissed off mule. Not many folks like to shoot a follow up shot with her.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

    John 3: 1-21
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,887 Senior Member
    It'll have a pop to your shoulder, but nothing like your 300 RUM. I didn't handload for mine when I had it, but I ran almost nothing but 165's. They just shot better then 180's in mine (also an A-Bolt, but SS Stalker). Stuff it full of RL17, that powder was basically made for the short mags. If you go with 150 or 165 pills....go for a stouter built bullet. A 150gr NBT into an antelope made one heckuva mess and a big hole on the opposite side. I've been thinking REAL hard about getting another one. Got an UL 30-06 and a too heavy 300 Wby...figure I might split the difference with a nice light 300wsm.

    So, you've got the trifecta....all you need now is a 300 Weatherby to round out the big 4 300 mags! Let me know if that itch ever needs to be scratched ;)
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    .300 Weatherby, hummmmmmm…………………..
    Will see how this one pans out first, but I like your thinking. Got the dies ordered today. Looks like I am better off just buying some live rounds and reloading from there from what I have seen in availability and price. :yikes:
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement