Popcorn

Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker BannedPosts: 1,503 Senior Member
How do you cook your popcorn? ...the old fashioned way of oil in a pan? Microwave bag? 70s era Jiffypop with the cool spiral foil thingy cover, or, air pop?

I usually cook the old school way of oil in a pan and then season with salt, dash of garlic powder, a bit of pepper and real melted butter. Mmmm!!
"The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,557 Senior Member
    For many years my wife had an aluminum pan she used for popcorn. When it finally wore down enough to crack, we got a hot air popper.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,386 Senior Member
    Usually microwave but will do the oil in a pan method every now and again.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Speaking of POPCORN......

I'm looking for a source of seeds of any of the old heirloom varieties of popcorn. I NEED them NOW! Must be old source, NON-GMO, and if possible from traditionally grown in an east-west belt from about here where I am, north Florida, to about lower Missouri. Actually anything south of a straight east-west line from about Norfolk, Virginia to central California will probably work. If anyone knows of an old variety-one in your family or area for God knows how long-will probably work. Help me if you can :cool2:
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 718 Senior Member
    All of our popcorn gets popped in the Whirley Pop. This thing makes great Kettle Corn
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    I don't 4u2ap3b.gif pops it and brings it to me.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,664 Senior Member
    Popcorn popper went TU long time ago. Just microwave since. Have tried them all and none of the microwave stuff tastes as goos as home popped.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Microwave popcorn is acceptable but pan-popped with oil is the best.

For pan popping, use coconut oil. Why? Coconut oil is the professional choice. It is stable at a higher heat than other oils, and popcorn needs a fairly high heat to expand properly. If you use a regular cooking oil, it never gets hot enough and you're left with partially popped kernels or those that don't pop at all (those are known in the industry as "old maids" by the way). Yeah, coconut oil is high in "bad" stuff but hey, you don't eat it all day -- popcorn is a treat you enjoy occasionally.

Add oil to the pan (an aluminum pot is okay), add some salt, and heat the oil until it's nearly smoking. Then add the corn. Don't heat both at the same time, because if the corn is heated slowly, it won't pop correctly. It's best if added to the already-hot oil. Shake the pan sideways on the burner and keep doing this until popping nearly stops.

There are special-made corn poppers available from specialty popcorn websites. They're pots with stirrer rods on the bottom of the kettle, and a crank knob that sticks out the end of the pot handle. These are best because good popcorn needs to be stirred from the bottom while it's popping. Well worth the cost, believe me.

Also try to find "gourmet" brand corn. The professional best choice is usually "Iowa Pop Six" (a specific strain) although there are other good strains available.

How do I know so much about popcorn? My Dad was chief engineer for Manley, Inc. That's the company that made most commercial popcorn machines for theaters. Manley's logo is an elephant on its hind legs. Their big popcorn competitor is Cretors. Cretors makes thhe commercial poppers with the big kinda flat all metal pan that tilts to dump the popped corn.

Know the commercial machines with the clear pyrex glass cylinder where you can see the corn popping, and the corn is dumped by the bottom of the cylinder swinging open? That's "Vista Pop" and my Dad invented that.

Incidentally, know the "bar squirter" type of hose-connected vending used mostly in bars, a nozzle that's got a series of buttons on the handle, you select "Coke" or "Sprite", etc by pushing a button and the chosen soda squirts out the nozzle? My Dad's invention, too.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Whirley pop, extra virgin olive oil. Top with any number of things depending on mood/movie; Salt, sea sat, garlic, crushed red pepper, butter, everything seasoning and sometimes just black pepper or plain.

Matt
    Support your local Scouts!
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Jiffy Pop.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    Of course if I'm bored, I use a 6 megawatt laser............
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    cpj wrote: »
    Hot air poppers SUCK.

Wouldn't know. I don't eat it. Doesn't taste good without tons of butter and salt. I'd rather just eat chips and not have to pick the skins outta my teeth....
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    Almost always in the micro-nuker, but occasionally I use the hot-air popper when I'm making home made carmel corn.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,220 Senior Member
    How do you cook your popcorn? ...the old fashioned way of oil in a pan? Yes. Microwave bag? Yes. 70s era Jiffypop with the cool spiral foil thingy cover Yes. or, air pop? Yes.
    The oil/pan thing is best when doing flavored popcorns (you can buy that orange cheese stuff, Ranch dressing powder, curry powder, dill, and obviously butter and salt.) Sometimes we use an air popper because it is easy to clean up and is convenient. Microwave is good for one person to get a single serving. The Jiffy Pop always goes camping with us.

Grape seed oil is another one that handles high temperatures really well.
    Speaking of POPCORN......

I'm looking for a source of seeds of any of the old heirloom varieties of popcorn.
    That should be a great business venture. I believe I paid $3 for one single cob of popcorn (still on the cob) vacuum sealed. After 3 or 4 years, I finally got around to popping it. Sure enough, every kernel popped! People are willing to pay good money for the novelty.
  • 1911fan1911fan Member Posts: 193 Member
    Here's a tip for getting the oil to the right temperature: after you add the oil and put the pan on the burner, toss in THREE kernels. Now stand around and listen until the third one pops then dump in the rest. The popper Sam described works best for this as its lid is sectioned so you can open one side or the other and you don't have to juggle a hot lid and a measure full of popcorn. The lid is also vented so excess steam can escape. Another trick is to determine--through experimentation--the exact amount of corn you need, obtain or fabricate an appropriate measure then leave the measure with the popcorn all the time so you don't forget the amount or lose the measure. When the popper starts doing its machinegun impression, start cranking like a madman (or madwoman). If the measure is right, the popper will fill with (but not pack full of) popped corn and pretty much all the kernels will pop.

Where I live, my popcorn is known as "Soon to be World Famous" or just World Famous.

I also have a secret for oil...

ed
    Fat, white, sixty, unemployed and just DIGGIN' on this "Change" thing!
    I MUCH prefer it popped in a popper or on the stove. We bowed to the nukerwave corn, but a few months ago I had enough. Went and bought real popcorn and popped it.
    My only complaint /problem is that it turns out chewy, no matter how much steam I let escape. I just put the oil and corn in together, and let it heat that way. I'll try Sams directions about letting the oil get hot first.

Chewy is the result of heating the corn along with the oil. It soaks up the oil and doesn't pop quickly enough. You want the corn to be zapped, essentially, which is what happens when it's dumped into already-hot oil.

You may also be using a bit too much oil. There should only be enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan or kettle, about 1/4 inch.

It's also possible that the corn kernels have absorbed too much water from the atmosphere. This happens slowly and eventually the corn just won't pop big and un-soggy no matter what you do. Keep your corn in an airtight screw-lid jar -- this really helps.

What's critical, however, and I really need to emphasize this, is to use coconut oil. You can get it in any "gourmet" section of the supermarket. It's really not too expensive because you don't use a lot for a kettle of corn. Thing is, with "regular" oil, it doesn't get hot enough -- it starts smoking -- whereas the coconut oil is stable at the higher temp that's best for popping. It has a nice taste, too.

1911's suggestion to drop only 2-3 kernels into the oil to test it is also an excellent one.

Anybody can stick a bag of "gourmet" corn in the microwave and nuke it, and if the corn is decent quality, the popcorn is "okay" for a quick snack.

But to pop corn like a pro, you gotta get the coconut oil (that's the primary goodie), use top quality corn (ordered from a specialty website), and pretend to be a master popcorn chef! It's kinda fun anyway, but I'm also warning you -- if you take the time to make a batch of really good popcorn, you'll never be able to rest again. You'll always be "nominated" to do the popping. Of course you do get to savor the benefits of the effort.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    When anyone here has tried coconut oil for popcorn, please report back, 'kay?

• Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    My only complaint /problem is that it turns out chewy, no matter how much steam I let escape. I just put the oil and corn in together, and let it heat that way. I'll try Sams directions about letting the oil get hot first.

I have the same dilemma, especially when I pour on the butter. It's still good though, but trying to get that theater texture and flavor is like the quest for the Holy Grail. ..I never quite reach it. Like you, I'll try Sams method.
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    When anyone here has tried coconut oil for popcorn, please report back, 'kay?

Okay, I'm gonna try it tonight.
  • 1911fan1911fan Member Posts: 193 Member
    Sam--

I'll try coconut oil as soon as I can find some. A quick and dirty search located some on Amazon for around a dollar an ounce. Seems a trifle pricey to me, but I'll look in my locals before I do the online order. My wife is ALWAYS happy when I make World Famous so as soon as I locate some, I'll give you a review.

Currently, this is my popping oil: equal parts canola, peanut and low grade olive oil, used once in my deep fryer then cooled, strained and refrigerated. I don't have trouble with this blend smoking because I only fry at 350 degrees. When I use it to pop. I cover the bottom of the pan, drop in my three kernels and turn the heat on Medium. When the kernels pop and I dump in my measure, THEN I turn the burner up to High. It pops so fast it doesn't have time to smoke.

Appalling to the purist I know but it works. Gives the popcorn a real interesting flavor and I don't have to use butter!

ed
    Fat, white, sixty, unemployed and just DIGGIN' on this "Change" thing!
    I got to get the recipe from my mom to share, but she makes popcorn with Caro syrup and some other stuff that tastes just like Cracker Jack.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,420 Senior Member
    Microwave popped. I want to try the pan method though.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,922 Senior Member
    The old way cooked on the stove with some Crisco shortening taste better than anything to me. Quit that several years ago and went with the canola oil. Took awhile to get used to it but it's ok. If I'm in a hurry I will nuke a bag in the microwave.

Anyone remember the yellow salt that came in the old pops-rite bags of pop corn. Man that stuff was good. Wish you could still find it somewhere.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,729 Senior Member

Usually a microwave bag when I'm at home. But my office has a movie theater style popcorn popped thing, and they use the movie theater coconut oil and salt. It is really good.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    My wife is the popcorn addict. I'll eat it if she makes it. Never get the jones enough to actually make myself. She uses a Whirlypop with clarified butter (burnable milk solids separated out) for oil. Her recent kick has been adobo seasoning. I've always been partial to butter and Parmesan.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    I use a West Bend Stir Crazy popper. Does a pretty good job. I use melted real butter to slick it up and hold the salt.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Usually a microwave bag when I'm at home. But my office has a movie theater style popcorn popped thing, and they use the movie theater coconut oil and salt. It is really good.

Honest to the popcorn gods, coconut oil is the secret.

I picked up some coconut oil today. Gonna give it a try later tonight.

Coconut oil is the good stuff. Has a lot more calories than real butter, though.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Dried coconut burns well
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Chewy popcorn that is popped in oil is OLD popcorn. Get some fresh stuff.