Home Main Category General Firearms

CZ Redhead

Wheelsman56Wheelsman56 MemberPosts: 225 Member
I found a good price on a CZ Redhead Deluxe. It is a 12 gauge with 26" barrels. I would be using it for sporting clays and skeet at a local range and eventually upland hunting. I would probably prefer one with 28" barrels but I have not been able to find one even close to this price.

What are your thoughts on this shotgun and its suitability for my intended purposes?

cz-usa-12-ga-over-under-redhead-deluxe-26-barrel-with-multichokes-silver-receiver_zps95934933.jpg

Replies

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    They are nice, made in Turkey by Huglu and marketed under the CZ name. When I had my FFL years ago I sold a lot of them before CZ picked up exclusive rights, I still have one that I like a lot in a SXS.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    I've been eying them lately. Reviews say it is good for the money, whatever that means in the O/U world.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    cpj wrote: »
    I've not heard anything bad about them, a good value as they say. The only thing wrong with it is.....the barrels are on top of each other, instead of side by side.

Oh they do make them with the barrels in the right place!
    463B7FC2-9222-4AB2-AD76-DB75B0BC5217-27982-000026F036A8BC15_zps447166f7.jpg
    39ECBF35-653F-4AD2-92AD-AE96E90CC449-27982-000026F046254957_zps4da72029.jpg
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    You will not lose anything by having 2" less of barrel for any of the uses you mention.

The only difference I have found between the 28" and the 26" is that once you start to swing on a target, the extra weight of the 28 helps your swing. This can be a benefit........depending on your shooting style.
    It can also be a disadvantage if you are shooting at 2 targets travelling in different directions as you have more 'weight ' to overcome when switching quickly from one target to another. ( ie sporting or upland game)
    The extra 2" of sighting plane on the 28" wont help you as you wont be looking at the rib.........you should be looking at the target, and, if the gun fits you, it should naturally 'point' where you are looking.

Sporting and Upland hunting are best suited to the 26" as a lighter gun ( in my view) is easier to carry. I know the extra 2" doesn't add all that much weight but after spending a full day in the field it can make a difference.

All my competition guns ( with the exception of my trap guns) have or had 26" barrels. ( my trap guns had either 30 or 32").

With modern shotshells the 26 will be just as effective as a 28. I have never had an occasion where I felt handicapped by a 26. ( I use and used them for Skeet, Sporting, 5 stand, Upland game and Waterfowling including Canada geese)

The most important factor in 'shotgunning' is whether or not the gun 'fits' you. By that, I mean that if you close your eyes and raise it to your shoulder, it naturally comes up and 'settles' in the same spot time and time again, giving you the same 'sight picture' ..............( By sight picture I mean that if you hold the gun, close your eyes and swing it to your shoulder then open your eyes you should be looking down the rib)

If you are looking at the back of the receiver, it is normally a sign that the stock is too long, if you are looking on an angle down the full length of the rib, it normally means the stock is too short.

My personal choice would be to take the 26". It is lighter to carry, easier to shoulder and swing and will be just as effective as the 28".

( I apologise if I have stated the obvious but I don't know how much 'shotgunning' experience you have)

It looks like an 'elegant' shotgun, and although I have never handled one of the CZ Redheads, I have heard that they are great value for their money.

The adage that 'its not the length but how you use it' equally applies to shotguns as it does to............er............other 'activities'.

Hope this helps.

Edited to add: From the pic it looks like it only has a solid rubber butt pad. If you are going to use it for skeet and sporting I would ditch the solid pad and fit something with a bit more 'give' to it. After shooting a full day on skeet/sporting (100 targets) you will be glad you did.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Hunting upland game with a 28" barrel is like driving a tractor-trailer in San Francisco- - - - -it's doable, but it ain't much fun! If you plan on jump-shooting rabbits in close cover, or quail on a covey rise, a 26" barrel is better, and a 24" is great! Skeet and trap shooting is simpler with a longer barrel- - - -it makes for a smoother swing. The 26 makes a pretty good compromise for both types of shooting.
    Jerry
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    As said, Turkish-made under contract. Have seen a few over here and owners seem quite pleased with them regarding quality/performance price; apparently it's hard to find a "lemon" with the brand "CZ" on it. Should fit your purposes nicely since most local users give them a dual use with good results.
  • Wheelsman56Wheelsman56 Member Posts: 225 Member
    You all such a bunch of enablers...I just happened to be helping a buddy move a desk and just happened to be near the shop selling the CZ and just happened to walk out with it...

Almost new CZ Redhead Deluxe, 5 choke tubes, and 100 rounds of loose Federal shells in an ammo can for $763 out the door. Looks like it might have been shot once. Action is still super stiff and it locks up like a bank vault. Seems to be a quality piece just like my 550 rifle, pretty nice wood too. Like Alec mentioned, this shotgun just comes right up and lines up perfectly for me. Will be taking it out to break it in on some clays on Thursday assuming we don't get too much rain.

eb7dd4cf-d76d-4537-b457-bd9cbab3ba1a_zpsd67258df.jpg
    unnamed-1_zps71fd1078.jpg
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    Can't speak for the model, but as you mentioned, if its anything like the 550 it is quality. Congrats :beer:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    Hey, I thought this was going to be about European women.
    NN wrote: »
    Hey, I thought this was going to be about European women.

I tend towards the blondes for that category
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    You all such a bunch of enablers...I just happened to be helping a buddy move a desk and just happened to be near the shop selling the CZ and just happened to walk out with it...

Almost new CZ Redhead Deluxe, 5 choke tubes, and 100 rounds of loose Federal shells in an ammo can for $763 out the door. Looks like it might have been shot once. Action is still super stiff and it locks up like a bank vault. Seems to be a quality piece just like my 550 rifle, pretty nice wood too. Like Alec mentioned, this shotgun just comes right up and lines up perfectly for me. Will be taking it out to break it in on some clays on Thursday assuming we don't get too much rain.

eb7dd4cf-d76d-4537-b457-bd9cbab3ba1a_zpsd67258df.jpg
    unnamed-1_zps71fd1078.jpg

Excellent!! The fact that it comes up perfectly for you is a harbinger of good things to come.

I look forward to reading your range report.

( I used to have some great recipes for claybirds but lost them when I moved a few years back. I cant even remember what they taste like............but frying them in bacon fat seemed pretty good Lol)

Note the use of the word 'Harbinger'...........you don't see that much now days ...............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Statement retracted. Enjoy your shotgun!
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I checked one out today and I must say that quality wise I feel the Stevens by Savage is much better and $100 less to boot.

Put down the pipe! :rotflmao:

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    I like the name
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Nice looking O/U congrats.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs

Tell you a little secret, Beretta choke tubes fit it if you want something else for it. I can use the Choke tubes from my Beretta AL391.
    Oops, didn't see that the OP had already purchased one. That's what I get for not reading all the way through :(

I'm sure it will serve you well.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,204 Senior Member
    Not a bad price, hope you swing it well.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I took the CZ out to a local sporting clays course yesterday and put it through its paces. The gun swings great and comes up to my shoulder perfectly. It is still very stiff and will need to be broken in more, but after blasting through 100 clays throughout the 15 stations I could not be happier.

Alec was right, the 26" barrels did not seem to hinder me at all. The gun balances very well too.. I have shot numerous other O/U's that cost 4 times as much and for the price I think the Redhead Deluxe is hard to beat. May not win any beauty contests but it sure shoots well.
    In recent year there has been a trend for longer barrels in competition I'm running 30" tubes on my Citori and Huglu.
    I find they swing well and really like the longer barrels.