Home Main Category General Firearms

To those considering getting a .358 Winchester...

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 8,227 Senior Member
consider the following.

As some of you know, I finally got my grubby little hands on one late last year. I even posted a thread about it, complete with pictures. When I got it, I planned to load my own ammo for it, as I figured factory ammo would be pricey and difficult to find. Fortunately, I already had a box of Winchester 200 grain Silvertips from long ago, so I at least had a place to start.

I started looking for reloading components last year, and could only find 200 grain Hornady Interlock bullets. I ordered and received 100 rounds of those. I discovered that .358 Winchester brass is produced by Winchester on a seasonal basis, and figured it would be available some time this year. Just to know for sure, though, I called Olin-Winchester this morning, and learned that the next seasonal run will be sometime next year. Maybe (my guess, not theirs).

So, there you have it.

Fortunately, I think, a local gun shop had 2 boxes of 200 grain Silvertips on hand, so I just now bought them. That potentially gives me 60 rounds of brass. Not so fortunately, I had to pay nearly $50 per box. Ouch! The box I bought 15 or so years ago was only $15.

I also made a trip to the range yesterday, and shot and chronographed the 200 grain Silvertips. At 100 yards, my rifle put 5 in 1.5 inches, and gave me a MV of almost 2500 fps. So, if all else fails, I at least have something to fall back on. Right now, my thinking is to use the brass I have from the original box, plus brass from one of the other boxes for a total of 40 rounds of brass to work with. I'll save back one box of the factory ammo just in case. If I find a load I really like, I'll consider using the 3rd box of brass.

I realize that I could use unfired .308 brass, or maybe even .338 Federal brass (if I could find any), but I'd rather use .358 brass if I could.

Just something to consider.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,452 Senior Member
    When I was considering (and still might be) the .358 Winchester, my plan was/is to use fired .308 Win brass to neck up.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    When I was considering (and still might be) the .358 Winchester, my plan was/is to use fired .308 Win brass to neck up.

That's what I do with my 338x284, and it works pretty well. The only thing I've noticed is that after sizing up, the length of the brass is below the documented "trim to" length. I don't know if it matters, but something you'll probably notice if you neck up by that much.
    Jerry

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,452 Senior Member
    When I neck down .308 brass to .243..........the case length is below the "trim length" by a tiny bit. But, they shoot just fine.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,545 Senior Member
    Jerry, I have a box of Hornady 250 sp's. If you want them, they are yours.

Sako
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    I started loading .358s in 1960 when I got my M-70 FTW, I've got several hundred case's mostly Win. and about 80 Norma there head stamped 8.8mm. Of all my guns this is my favorite, it's also one of the most under rated cartridges. Any time I'm headed into heavy timber, brush, etc. it's my go to gun, I only have one load and its never failed, A stiff load of IMR 4895, Fed 210m primer and the Sierra 225bt that are Moly coated. If I do my part it will put 5 fast shots into 1 1/2". Scope is an old Bushnell 1 1/2 x 4 1/2. Its sighted in 2 1/2" high at 100yds.

You wont be sorry you have one.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    sakodude wrote: »
    Jerry, I have a box of Hornady 250 sp's. If you want them, they are yours.

Sako

Sounds like a deal I can't turn down. I'll PM you.

Thanks.
    Jerry

jaywapti wrote: »
    I started loading .358s in 1960 when I got my M-70 FTW, I've got several hundred case's mostly Win. and about 80 Norma there head stamped 8.8mm. Of all my guns this is my favorite, it's also one of the most under rated cartridges. Any time I'm headed into heavy timber, brush, etc. it's my go to gun, I only have one load and its never failed, A stiff load of IMR 4895, Fed 210m primer and the Sierra 225bt that are Moly coated. If I do my part it will put 5 fast shots into 1 1/2". Scope is an old Bushnell 1 1/2 x 4 1/2. Its sighted in 2 1/2" high at 100yds.

You wont be sorry you have one.

JAY

Jay, is your rifle a hard kicker? Seems like mine kicks harder than any rifle I own, including my 338x284. Both rifles are M88 Winchesters. The 338 shoots a 225 grain Grand Slam at a MV of nearly 2700 fps but doesn't seem to kick as hard as the .358. Maybe it has a better recoil pad. I don't know.

I'm looking forward to giving it a try this fall.
    Jerry

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    Not just .358 in short supply, but try and find common bullets and brass!! There's very little .30 cal. I'm loading 150 grain FMJ's in my .303 Savage, just so I can shoot it.
  • VargetVarget Member Posts: 99 Member
    Nothing worse than having a gun with little ammo to shoot. I have a few hundred rounds of .22 left, this is getting ridiculous.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Jay, is your rifle a hard kicker? Seems like mine kicks harder than any rifle I own, including my 338x284. Both rifles are M88 Winchesters. The 338 shoots a 225 grain Grand Slam at a MV of nearly 2700 fps but doesn't seem to kick as hard as the .358. Maybe it has a better recoil pad. I don't know.

I'm looking forward to giving it a try this fall.

Jerry, mine is in a Kevlar/Graphite stock that weights 10oz, the rifle with scope no shells in the mag weights 6.5lb. no recoil pad just a hard rubber pad. Its not fair to judge mine against a stock rifle.

Recoil velocity is 18.86 fps, energy is 35.92 ft. lbs. And yes it kicks like a bloody mule.

If you give me the weight of the rifle, bullet weight, powder charge, and muzzle velocity i'll be happy to look up your energy

JAY
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    I'll check a few dusty areas for brass Jerry.....I know i've seen it.
    It will make oddball rimfire look easy
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,112 Senior Member
    I'll keep my eyes peeled around here as well
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,975 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Jerry, mine is in a Kevlar/Graphite stock that weights 10oz, the rifle with scope no shells in the mag weights 6.5lb. no recoil pad just a hard rubber pad. Its not fair to judge mine against a stock rifle.

Recoil velocity is 18.86 fps, energy is 35.92 ft. lbs. And yes it kicks like a bloody mule.

If you give me the weight of the rifle, bullet weight, powder charge, and muzzle velocity i'll be happy to look up your energy

JAY

Dang Jay! I don't think my 300 Wby kicks that much! 19fps velocity is pretty sharp too. Bet its still fun though!
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Hornady also makes brass for it
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    That's what I do with my 338x284, and it works pretty well. The only thing I've noticed is that after sizing up, the length of the brass is below the documented "trim to" length. I don't know if it matters, but something you'll probably notice if you neck up by that much.

Jerry, I don't know for sure how much truth there is to what I'm going to say here, But I read it in an article about using 30-06 brass to make .270 Win. That to do so does the same as you explain, it makes the brass just a little shorter than factory spec. The article explained that the only problem is that continued shooting would rough up or erode the throat where the brass normally would sit and you eventually would only be able to chamber those rounds instead of say factory or hand loads made from original .270 brass because as the throat got rougher the regular .270 brass would fire form to the new neck dimension and cause the case to stick. Like I said, this is not from experience but from an article I read in a gun mag. years back.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    BTW Jerry, since I had my Ruger 77 Rebarreled to 9.3 x62, I have seen the light with respect to something you have said you were liking more, and that is Big and slow as opposed to light and fast. And the .358 Winchester just looks sweet for that. BTW, I must have missed your thread on this rifle. What platform did you get this rifle chambered in?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    BTW Jerry, since I had my Ruger 77 Rebarreled to 9.3 x62, I have seen the light with respect to something you have said you were liking more, and that is Big and slow as opposed to light and fast. And the .358 Winchester just looks sweet for that. BTW, I must have missed your thread on this rifle. What platform did you get this rifle chambered in?

Snake, here's my original thread about my .358. And really. Do you have to ask? -:)

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?16912-three-five-eight

A big thanks to Tom, and all others who have offered to look for brass, etc. I really appreciate it.

Jay, as you no doubt know, actual recoil and perceived/felt recoil aren't always the same. I probably have rifles that kick harder, but it just seems that this one is the hardest kicking of the ones I have.
    Jerry

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    When I went hog hunting in east Tennessee several years ago I scavenged up some 250 grain round nose bullets to work up a load for my .35 Remington Marlin 336. I had to seat the bullets way back in the case to make the ammo cycle through the action, and the MV ended up somewhere south of 1800 FPS, but it put the smackdown on that hog!

Now my big bore thumper is a 350 grain .45-70- - - - -.100" bigger bullet, and 100 grains more bullet weight!
    Jerry
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,183 Senior Member
    Jerry, I checked my LGS, no .358 stuff, sorry.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    [QUOTE=JerryBobCo;328110
    Jay, as you no doubt know, actual recoil and perceived/felt recoil aren't always the same. I probably have rifles that kick harder, but it just seems that this one is the hardest kicking of the ones I have.[/QUOTE]

Jerry, I guess I'm just old school when we thought a recoil pad just gave the rifle a " running start " at your sholder.
    The worst rifle I ever shot was a 378 Weatherby mag. I sold a customer that wonted me to work up loads with the 270 & 300gr. bullets, It kicked worse than his .460 Wea.
    The .358 isn't so bad now that I have a Caldwell Lead sled.

JAY
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    I believe...

I may have some 243 and 308 brass should someone wish to trade..
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.