There's no "Fishing" sub-forum so....

AntonioAntonio Senior MemberPosts: 2,327 Senior Member
...since this isn't technically "hunting", (But considering that most here are also suckers for water-soaked meat), have to brag over here about the....flounder? I caught last weekend. Maybe a really delicious (Tastes quite different from chicken) 20-pounder:

Not the biggest we've caught, but quite close. Sometimes it pays up skipping the morning surfing!

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Nice!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,045 Senior Member
    Nice fish. Flounder is delicious.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,001 Senior Member
    Nice fish!! That's what we call "door mats"!!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,889 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Nice fish!! That's what we call "door mats"!!
    :that:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,255 Senior Member
    Here's the flounder's big cousin- - - -Alaska Halibut- - - - -

420_halibut.jpg

They called the 60-pounder Dad caught on Cook Inlet a "minnow". That same day two brothers from Utah on the boat with us landed a 225-pounder and a 250-pounder!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    Great catch!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,729 Senior Member
    Flounder is some good eats! That one is big enough for a meal or two. :up:

Fisherman: A jerk on one end of a line waiting for a jerk on the other end of the line. :tooth:

Crappie are schooling up in preparation for the spawn here. I got my stuff ready, just need to get the motor checked out and I'm gonna wait for that jerk on the other end of the line. Only fish here better to eat than crappie is sauger.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,889 Senior Member
    I caught one of those door mats and won a Fishing contest back when $20 meant a bunch of money.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,327 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »

420_halibut.jpg

They called the 60-pounder Dad caught on Cook Inlet a "minnow". That same day two brothers from Utah on the boat with us landed a 225-pounder and a 250-pounder!
    Jerry

Now THAT'S a catch! Not such beasts around here; mine is among the biggest you might find and probably won't get over 30-ish pounds. Unfortunately due to overfishing (Specially using explosives and trawlers) and massive coastal seaweed illegal extraction for the Chinese cosmetic industry, these beasts are getting scarcer every day; last one this size we caught was like 6 years ago.

Thanks guys; it was really delicious. Too bad I don't have a decent pic of the "rig", so will have to settle that matter this weekend. It's an Outrage 24 Boston Whaler with an inboard Volvo Penta 6-cyl turbo diesel duoprop btw.......
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »

420_halibut.jpg

Jerry

Did ya shoot it first?
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,698 Senior Member
    Excellent catch Antonio.

There is a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid............

You qualify for the first, not the latter!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,476 Senior Member
    Didja lobster before you flounder?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Why did you say that? Just for the halibut?

I will not be lured into another of these silly games.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,244 Senior Member
    PFD wrote: »
    I will not be lured into another of these silly games.

Don't be a sinker!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,525 Senior Member
    Great Catch Antonio. Your gonna eat well.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,698 Senior Member

That's reel funny Chris.

I know that you are very knowledgeable about fishing, especially how to bait your line..................You are a true Master Baiter.

It just goes to show, The Penn is mightier than the Sword, Fish. (I hope you don't mind me calling you Fish)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,368 Senior Member
    Nice fish Antonio, last time I caught a fish like that I won $80 fishing out of LA harbor on the First String.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,219 Senior Member
    That's a beauty, Antonio! I love flounder above many other fish when it comes to table fare. That's a very nice fish you caught, for sure and it's certainly going to eat great.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    Awesome flounder! One of my favorite eating fish.
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    Nice fish Antonio! Mind telling us how folks in the southern hemisphere like to cook fish. One of my all time favorites is flounder grilled.
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,045 Senior Member
    I have had flounder before and it is essentially like halibut. I have had quite a bit of halibut and it is pretty good no matter how you cook it. You can poach it and dip the pieces in butter-- they call that "poor man's lobster", smoked is good but not great like fattier fish-- the same with battered and deep fried-- a fattier fish is better. Baked, broiled, grilled... My favorite is to season with Lawry's season salt, a bit of pepper, sprinkle with dill, and dust with flour. Pan fry in butter. Do not overcook! I made it that way one year at a SE Shoot and everyone loved it. If you like the outside a bit crispy, use 1/2 cornmeal and 1/2 flour.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,441 Senior Member
    Well done! I use Clubhouse as fish central!
    Flat fish are great (soul, flounder, halibut)
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member

STOP!!!!! You're giving me a haddock!!
    NRA Benefactor Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    There is a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid............

We call that line monofilament around here....................:roll2:

Sweet fish Antonio! Love me some flounder
    NRA Benefactor Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Excellent catch Antonio.

You qualify for the first, not the latter!

Have been in the "wrong" side of the line quite a few times, but for me being a fisherman is like being a gun owner here; you must have a LOT of patience or you'll end up throwing all overboard and just sit down to drink beers.

Fortunately every once in a while the only stupid thing is my happy grin in a picture of me next to a poor dead tasty fish.
    bhl2506 wrote: »
    Nice fish Antonio! Mind telling us how folks in the southern hemisphere like to cook fish. One of my all time favorites is flounder grilled.

We have lots of recipes, probably most from Spanish origins. Mom is a professional chef and my wife only cooks in special occasions (Usually when a gun law favorable to citizens is approved in any place of the world ;) ) so fish usually end up being ate at my parent's.

For this one we cut the raw meat in 1x1" dices and then let it rest in a bath of juice of a local variation of lemon that is small, green and very acid, along with some salt, chopped small pieces of a local orange or red variation of chili pepper and thin strips of onion.

After a few minutes the meat has "cooked" in the acid turning white in the outside but staying pinkish in the inside. This dish is called "ceviche" and from all the variations I've tasted in many S.A. countries (Chile, Ecuador & Mexico; usually common in the Pacific coast), without being a bigot I have to say that ours is the simpler and better tasting of all....pretty much what you'd expect from a Japanese cuisine recipe.

The rest of the meat was cut in fillets, rolled over a little flour and then fried; next to it, some fresh avocado slices with olive oil & salt, and home-made mashed potatoes of assorted variants (We have around 3,000 of the 5,000 all over the world, so lots of options to choose from); simple but delicious. Mom wanted to make a more elaborated dish but we refused, since that would mean eating it sometime next week when she finally decides what to cook.....no ma'am!

Head & bones were boiled to make a light but very tasty broth that also has some fish meat, and thin strips of tomatoes, carrots, onion, sweet peas and a little starch of your choice (Could be rice, chickpeas or potatoes), dressed with a little coriander, a squirt of lemon juice and a little chili pepper. Have a bowl and then find a bed quickly or you'll end up snoring on top of the dog!

Sorry for not posting pics of the dishes, but for some reason I can't stand it...."someone" needs to see a psychiatrist.....

Now I'm hungry!
    It's carp like this^ that annoys me.

I know you said that quietly on porpoise knowing I am hard of herring. Or it cuda been a fluke
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,244 Senior Member
    avmech wrote: »
    I know you said that quietly on porpoise knowing I am hard of herring. Or it cuda been a fluke

Are you trying to get him to clam up?
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    For the love of cod, stop with the fish puns.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
    Ya'll need to go back to (a) school!