Home Main Category Hunting

Different animal called in last night

1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior MemberPosts: 1,648 Senior Member
A buddy from work has yet to shoot anything with his new bushmaster, so we tried some varmint calling last night after work. We had done two prior sets with only a **** showing interest, and it was nearly twilight when he spotted some deer moving below our hillside overlooking a creek. I finally saw them, counting the last four in line and decided to try the fawn bleat call on the caller. Switching sounds to the deer sound and watching the deer's reaction to the call surprised me, all six deer walked right up the hay meadow where the caller sat. They circled around the whirling decoy with big question marks above their ears right up until I switched the call to a coyote howl sound- they wasted no time exiting stage left up into a draw. Great fun.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    Bet it was fun, I've heard of that before and believe I called in a buck I shot once making a fawn call.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    Since there was six deer together maybe they felt safer investigating the sound.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I've tried the fawn call over the years and never called in anything.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    Since there was six deer together maybe they felt safer investigating the sound.
    Does are supposed to be likely to check such calls out.
    I've tried the fawn call over the years and never called in anything.
    I just sat there vocalizing
    NAWAAAA not too loud.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    The call's name on the caller is whitetail buck fawn, really it is not very distressed sounding like the rabbit cries are, at least to my ears. Just a bleat like a fawn looking for momma.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Deer are curious creatures, I had a buck show up while I was waiting on the dove to start flying, he was about 50 yards straight down a fence line so I started plucking the top wire like a guitar string. His ears perked up and he sniffed at the wire and walked right towards me. The only movement I made was with my thumb strumming the wire and he got within about ten feet before he looked at me and snorted and trotted off.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs