Home Main Category General Firearms

Which .22LR Revolver?

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,125 Senior Member
    Ranch13 wrote: »
    There's not enough difference in accuracy between the mag and the lr cylinder in my gun to even get worried about. Both cylinders shoot extremely well.
    Same here, thought Buford it technically correct.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,191 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Sorry Gene my 4.5" Single Six has sights that are adjustable for windage and elevation
    7adunu8a.jpghuru4u8u.jpg

I have this one also, zero complaints, it is the kids favorite handgun to shoot.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    way too many choices

b5d6601a-db09-41da-ac6b-9151ad57947e_zpse7447aec.jpg
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,191 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »
    way too many choices

Nice Ruger!:jester:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Always get a Colt Frontier Scout.

100_0340.jpg
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    A couple of years ago, I posted that I traded an old "6 shot revolver" for a "9 shot revolver". Who wouldn't want a 22 caliber revolver
    with 50% more capacity? Well, it was my Colt Diamondback for a Taurus 94.

It was an April Fool's day joke, and I caught a few folks off guard.

But, I must say that I really like my Taurus 94 revolver. I know there's not a lot of folks who like them, but my Taurus 22 wheelgun is very
    dependable and for a nine shot revolver, is relatively compact. I like mine!

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?5508-Traded-an-old-Colt-for-a-new-Taurus&highlight=april+fools
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    I had one of those. It was a good revolver. No complaints.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,982 Senior Member
    Talk her into a Buckmark and the accuracy will astound and amaze her. Especially when she sees it costs less than your costume. Brand new.
    That won't happen - she really wants a revolver. Neat and clean - with no flying brass.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    That's not true The 22WMR is a larger diameter bullet than the 22LR. The barrel is set up for larger WMR it shoots 22LR fine but the WMR will be more accurate.

Remember the .22 LR is soft lead, the higher chamber pressure makes the heal flare out and seal in gasses, accuracy in .22 magnum may suffer however.
    I still remember My K-22 in .22 LR, 6 inch barrel and very accurate.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,663 Senior Member
    There's not enough difference in accuracy between the mag and the lr cylinder in my gun to even get worried about. Both cylinders shoot extremely well.

Consider yourself lucky then. I've shot three of them with both cylinders...... the .22mag's were a lot better. If the one I owned shot .22LR as well as the mag's, I wouldn't have sold it...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Consider yourself lucky then. I've shot three of them with both cylinders...... the .22mag's were a lot better. If the one I owned shot .22LR as well as the mag's, I wouldn't have sold it...

As with most 22's they will show a real preference for one brand of ammo over another.
    The big problem is the long freebore the 22 bullet has to go thru to get out of the cylinder. Uniformity of the cylinder throat diameter will be a real factor in accuracy.
    This stuff about the 22 mag barrel being bigger, is just wrong, and a simple google search for the saami specs on both cartridges can clarify a lot of the myth's oft spread around. The bullet diameter for the 22 mag is actually smaller than for the 22 lr... The 22 magum case is larger because the bearing surface of the bullet is held inside the case, where the 22 lr is a heeled bullet and the bearing surface of the bullet is the same diameter as the outside of the case.
    So yes there are some known accuracy problems with the convertible cylinder models, from all the manufacturers, but there's more guns that actually shoot well , than don't other wise we wouldn't have had the option to buy them for the last 50 years...
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Durwood wrote: »
    Those run in the neighborhood of $500 these days, right:jester: The grips really set it off too:applause:

I checked on the Colt forum, nice,clean DiamondBacks are going for $1,000 to $2,000! And upwards of that if they have a 2" or 6" barrel. Made my jaw drop!
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    In my experience, the best "all bases covered" choice is a S&W 617 with a 4" barrel. Long enough to plink at different distances or even hunt small game, but still comfortable enough to pack. Has usually great trigger in both DA/SA, stainless steel finish makes it more corrosion-resistant, sights are adjustable and usually works fine with everything you feed it with.

Haven't tested the Rugers a lot, but a friend of mine has a .22LR snubbie and it seems to work flawlessly; might be a great 2nd. choice.

If you're looking for a "cowboy-style" SA, the Ruger Single Six family is hard to beat, specially if you're considering something either brand new or recently produced. Once you've found the proper rounds for it, you can expect pretty good accuracy. Only have to decide what finish, barrel length and type of sights fit your needs and you're ready to go.

Mine? Old model Ruger Super Single Six with 6+" barrel (My favorite), Webley Mk IV and S&W Model 35.
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    I checked on the Colt forum, nice,clean DiamondBacks are going for $1,000 to $2,000! And upwards of that if they have a 2" or 6" barrel. Made my jaw drop!

I traded a S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece + $100 cash for mine (the one pictured above) back in the 80's. We were both happy! :up:

He wanted a 38 Special & I wanted a 22.
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
    Had a yak with her last nite - she said she would prefer a DA gun, just so that she has the option; even though she's most likely to fire it SA. The S&W 617 is certainly on the short list.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I had an H&R like that with the extra .22 mag cylinder back in the 80s and put many a thousands of rounds through it. It was SS or Nickel plated. Slow to load/unload but some real fun to shoot. Wish I'd have kept it.

I only have a few (3) .22 revolvers, should have bought more when they were affordable. A S&W Model 64, a Colt Official Police and a Comanche (?) I got in a trade for a Heritage Rough Rider and never fired.
    roadking wrote: »
    Ruger single six is first choice...if you can find one.
    Otherwise...FWIW

H&R DA...
    Exhibit2.jpg

Sauer and Sohn DA...
    Sauer2.jpg

Matt
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Wow, nice collection of 22s

way too many choices

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    The S&W 617 is certainly on the short list.

A 4 or 6 inch ?.......with the full underlug the 6 is quite muzzle heavy just something to be aware of in my opinion.
    The S&W 617 is certainly on the short list.

A 4 or 6 inch ?.......with the full underlug the 6 is quite muzzle heavy just something to be aware of in my opinion.
    I'd like her to try both. I personally would prefer a 6 inch, but its not my gun. She would probably be better off with a 4 for a variety of reasons.

)O(
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,663 Senior Member
    As with most 22's they will show a real preference for one brand of ammo over another.
    The big problem is the long freebore the 22 bullet has to go thru to get out of the cylinder. Uniformity of the cylinder throat diameter will be a real factor in accuracy.
    This stuff about the 22 mag barrel being bigger, is just wrong, and a simple google search for the saami specs on both cartridges can clarify a lot of the myth's oft spread around. The bullet diameter for the 22 mag is actually smaller than for the 22 lr... The 22 magum case is larger because the bearing surface of the bullet is held inside the case, where the 22 lr is a heeled bullet and the bearing surface of the bullet is the same diameter as the outside of the case.
    So yes there are some known accuracy problems with the convertible cylinder models, from all the manufacturers, but there's more guns that actually shoot well , than don't other wise we wouldn't have had the option to buy them for the last 50 years...

I always try many types of ammo..... and long rifle is .223'', WRM is .224'', and WRF is .226''

Early LR only Single Sixes had a BD of .222", the new ones are .224''
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    I'd like her to try both. I personally would prefer a 6 inch, but its not my gun. She would probably be better off with a 4 for a variety of reasons.

4". There is no loss in accuracy; the difference in velocity is negligible; and they're just much more convenient because of the shorter barrel. Plus, as you get older IMO it becomes easier to see the sights if they're closer together.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    I always try many types of ammo..... and long rifle is .223'', WRM is .224'', and WRF is .226''

Early LR only Single Sixes had a BD of .222", the new ones are .224''

I have known people who had convertibles that were DEFINITELY more accurate with 22 mag than with 22 lr. Having said that, it's also true that MOST people aren't sufficiently skilled to tell the difference.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    shooter wrote: »
    I traded a S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece + $100 cash for mine (the one pictured above) back in the 80's. We were both happy! :up:

He wanted a 38 Special & I wanted a 22.

Nice trade shooter, I got mine years & years ago at a local gunshow, It's a 6" barrel, came with the box. The guy wanted $500 I think...I got it for $400. The same guy had a table at a show just a year or 2 ago, recognized me and asked If I still had it.
    I said yes, but that it wasn't for sale. They sure have appreciated!
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 915 Senior Member
    No personal experience, but what about an H&R 922 "trapper" model, there's always a few kicking around gunbroker, and the older models with the octagonal barrels are neat, DA/SA and probably comes in under budget, everything on the net says they are good shooters.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Yeah, Diamondbacks are getting as crazy as Pythons these days. I got one of the newer Ruger SP101s last year and it's been a lot of fun, for around $500.

P1000187_zps3ee20fbc.jpg
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,550 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »

hey that closed without your initials in the winning bidder location.

Sako
    We both have shot the Ruger MKIII - with opposite results. I loved it so much, that I just bought one for myself, its still "in jail" for another week. My wife doesn't like flying brass. I mean, REALLY doesn't like flying brass. Besides, she's been shooting a .357 magnum/.38 spcl Revolver (Ruger Security Six), so it makes sense for her .22 to be a revolver as well.

)O(
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    sakodude wrote: »
    hey that closed without your initials in the winning bidder location.

Sako

Holy Crap you made me take a second look, I know I have been on there a lot lately but DIDNT THINK I BID ON THAT ONE???
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    That won't happen - she really wants a revolver. Neat and clean - with no flying brass.

If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy, I get it. So if a SA it must be, find ya a nice used Ruger. A .22LR off the used rack is usually a good choice.
    Keep us posted.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs