Home Main Category Personal Defense

Springfield XD

41magnut41magnut Senior MemberPosts: 1,269 Senior Member
Is there any domestic law enforcement agency or organization that issues the Springfield XD handgun as it's duty weapon?

Of any that allow approved personal weapons have to Springfield XD as an approved sidearm?
"The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:

Replies

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    41magnut wrote: »
    Is there any domestic law enforcement agency or organization that issues the Springfield XD handgun as it's duty weapon?

Of any that allow approved personal weapons have to Springfield XD as an approved sidearm?

None in my vicinity. They can't compete with Glock. Or Smith and Wesson. I own a SA XD45 Tactical that I trust my life with if I'm toting it around in the car. It's just ANOTHER polymer pistol in a long line of many. It's like FN trying to oust the AR platform...not happening.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,140 Senior Member
    Rumor has it that Beverly Hills PD uses XDs
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Isn't that a song ?

Rumor has it, boom boom, rumor has it.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    None in my vicinity. They can't compete with Glock. Or Smith and Wesson. I own a SA XD45 Tactical that I trust my life with if I'm toting it around in the car. It's just ANOTHER polymer pistol in a long line of many. It's like FN trying to oust the AR platform...not happening.

Explain "can't compete with Glock", are you referring to not selling as many?
    As far as shooting, I agree there is no competition, the XD is hand down better.
    Better is a relatively subjective assessment, if I can't get magazines and parts and service easily and cheaply, I just will not bother with it, , My sidearm is dead on accurate, and reliable, that is all I care about.
    Philosophical arguments notwithstanding.

Massive volume of sales says something, parts will be easy to get.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,886 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    As far as shooting, I agree there is no competition, the XD is hand down better.
    From my understanding, Glock gives most agencies a really, really, really good deal on handguns and associated gear.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,413 Senior Member
    Now this happened BEFORE the state legalized pot, but Ft Collins police services issues xd, backup guns can only be glock or xd sub compacts. Revolvers, 1911, glocks or any smiths are forbidden for duty guns. Oh, they also took ALL the shotguns out of the cars and replaced them with the second choice rock river ar-15..... First choice? H&k carbines....what were they thinking
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    Clean issued me an XDm, does that count since she is always laying down the law?
    NN wrote: »
    Clean issued me an XDm, does that count since she is always laying down the law?

Sadly, no.... :tissue:
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,591 Senior Member
    Union Pacific Railroad Police authorizes the XD for duty. A very good friend of mine replaced his Glock with an XD45 Tactical and after testing, his superiors approved them for duty carry for the officers.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Just about all of the agencies around here issue the Glock in one caliber or another. Don't know of anyone who issues the XD, but I know that Zed absolutely loves them! :rotflmao:
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    Union Pacific Railroad Police authorizes the XD for duty. A very good friend of mine replaced his Glock with an XD45 Tactical and after testing, his superiors approved them for duty carry for the officers.

Uhhhh, you do realize this is an isolated case, right ?
    From my understanding, Glock gives most agencies a really, really, really good deal on handguns and associated gear.

My XD45 Tactical is a way better shooter than any G21 I've ever shot...

"Can't compete" is meant from a logistics viewpoint. Glock has more guns than Arizona and Texas have migrant workers. SA is noy going to unseat Glock because Glock...

- Is a long known name in LE
    - Gives deeeep discounts to LE agencies
    - Markets DIRECTLY at LE...SA doesn't

Even at civie prices...

GLOCK17 - approx $520 to 550
    SA XDM - $590 to 650

There is no price comparison. Glock sells the 17, 22 and 21 to LE agencies at about $380 a pistol. No one is touching that.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    "Even at civie prices...

GLOCK17 - approx $520 to 550
    SA XDM - $590 to 650

There is no price comparison. Glock sells the 17, 22 and 21 to LE agencies at about $380 a pistol. No one is touching that."

:that: Even for reserve LE....

I personally have not seen any defective Glock magazines.... many others are a crap shoot at best.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,615 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Just about all of the agencies around here issue the Glock in one caliber or another. Don't know of anyone who issues the XD, but I know that Zed absolutely loves them! :rotflmao:

I like the XD, my bud has one he loves, but they aren't in the same playground as a Glock. I don't care for the grip safety, but that wouldn't keep me from buying one. Price is a BIG part (not the only part) of LE buying. Plus, Glock has a lot of hands-on experience and therefore documentation with their pistols that only Smith and Beretta can hope to compare.

Departments who purchase weapons are generally not equipped to do hands-on studies, so they use the studies of those who can, like the FBI, for example. In my state,the GBI uses Glocks with very good results.

I've never had a problem with either Glocks or Glock mags. When I was teaching my SO, and in helping teach academy courses, I can't remember seeing many problems with any modern gun. Except for a S&W Sigma, which didn't make it through the course.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    As far as I know, Houston police are allowed to carry the XD. HPD does not mandate weapons, just minimum caliber, being .38spl for revolvers or 9mm for autos. So officers can carry whatever they choose, within limits. HPD officers purchase their own weapons -- of course they get a generous discount.

Glocks are very popular, being reliable, fairly accurate, and relatively inexpensive. But many older police (for some reason, older black officers particularly) favor the .357. And there are the .40 cal fanciers, and of course the 1911 groupies, but mixed in are those who like the XDs, Berettas, S&W, you name it, about any major brand is represented. Although I don't suppose you see a lot of Taurus fans, ha ha.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »

NN: I'm beginning to think you have potential.
    samzhere wrote: »
    As far as I know, Houston police are allowed to carry the XD. HPD does not mandate weapons, just minimum caliber, being .38spl for revolvers or 9mm for autos. So officers can carry whatever they choose, within limits. HPD officers purchase their own weapons -- of course they get a generous discount.

Glocks are very popular, being reliable, fairly accurate, and relatively inexpensive. But many older police (for some reason, older black officers particularly) favor the .357. And there are the .40 cal fanciers, and of course the 1911 groupies, but mixed in are those who like the XDs, Berettas, S&W, you name it, about any major brand is represented. Although I don't suppose you see a lot of Taurus fans, ha ha.

My department allows the carry of any pistol of "reputable manufacture chambered for 9mm Luger, .40SW, .357Sig, .45ACP or 10mm Auto". But they ISSUE Glocks. This thread is about department purchases of XD's, not individual purchases for duty use.
    Read the second line:

I'm just here for snark.
    Read the second line:

My bad.
    No worries. I mean, it's not like you have a job where you're supposed to note details or anything.... :tooth:
    I'm just here for snark.
    Oddly enough, I personally only had issues with Taurus revolvers, soft steel for one and inferior parts, when Beretta sold the license and plant to Taurus to make the Taurus version of the Beretta 92, the one major difference being the safety, frame mounted as opposed to slide mounted, steel frame vs aluminum,
    I personally have little experience with Taurus semi-autos.
    No worries. I mean, it's not like you have a job where you're supposed to note details or anything.... :tooth:

Haha. Touche. I'm off today. Brain runs on minimum power.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,269 Senior Member
    Thanks for the information.

Our local PD recently changed from Sigs to Glocks, and this change over was the genesis of this question.

I do not know if the city asked for bids for new duty weapons or if Glock called 'em up and said "Have we got a deal for you"

As many of you stated, I also know of several individuals that own and swear (or affirm) by their XD.

Different strokes for different folks. I really really like my H&K USPc.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,982 Senior Member
    I have a friend who joined Houston PD last year. He was required to purchase his own weapon, and his approved list consisted of the Glock 22, M&P .40, and Sig P226 in .40. TXDPS just announced a switch to M&P9, San Antonio PD uses the M&P, local PD here uses the Glock 22. I know of no one that issues the XD, though I do know of a few small TX Sheriff's Departments that allow their officers to carry any handgun they are comfortable with.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    I would change two things on Glocks, the hump and the RTF, it is too rough.....
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,591 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Uhhhh, you do realize this is an isolated case, right ?

So what? The question included: "Of any that allow approved personal weapons have to Springfield XD as an approved sidearm?"
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    odd how the two current/former LEOs miss that little detail, but preach being observant to the world around you... and all its details.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,389 Senior Member
    Explain "can't compete with Glock". . .?

As the guy that wrenches on the guns to keep them working, and who helps to wrench on the officers to keep them shooting accurately, I can tell you there's more to agency purchases than just picking a sexy sidearm.

Cost, as has been mentioned, is a big part of it. If you're not going with the cheapest option - be it for handguns, light bulbs, or ballpoint pens - you're probably going to need to convince some know-nothing accountant why.

Ease of training is another factor. Time is money. Ammo is money also. Every agency has that small percentage of guys who are going to be 100% good to go with whatever you hand them. And they also have the guys that you have to spoon-feed to various degrees. Unfortunately, if you buy only for the ninjas, the LCD's will be out of their depth - spending more time on the range and burning more rounds to qual.

Ease and cost of service is up there as well. I take all kinds of guns apart in my free time. I enjoy dismantling an 1897 Winchester down to it's ten kaziliion small parts on a weekend. This does not mean I want - or am able - to do that all week long to keep 300 of them running.

Glocks pretty much win in every category here. They aren't necessarily the rock-bottom cheapest, but they are down there. They are easy to train people on when you have limited time to train them (unlike, say, a DA-to-SA system). In terms of day-to-day service, Glocks are by far and away the easiest and 1911's are not too far behind. After that you start to get into much more labor and/or cost intensive processes. When you add it all up, Gaston's got a system that's very hard to beat overall.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    When the NYCPD went from revolvers to self-loading sidearms, the decision was left to guys like Bigslug, the brass stayed out of it oddly enough, they considered and tested everything, even harbor patrol got into the act and attached a Glock to a buoy, to see what would happen, the Glocks passed every test, no other handgun passed every hurdle, they wanted the best available sidearm possible.

I really would love to see Glock have a flat backstrap option.