Jeep liberty pt 2

centermass556centermass556 Senior MemberPosts: 3,508 Senior Member
So I finally got time to get the rest of the stuff done on he liberty... Sounds simple, but juggling everything makes it not..

This is what the plugs looked like when I pulled them

uja2a9et.jpgduma5a6a.jpg
"To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Replies

• centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    Btw, that is water in the gap there... And they do smell like the jeep is running rich
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,253 Senior Member
    If it hasn't been done lately, try swapping the O2 sensor. Once a cylinder starts to miss, the extra oxygen in the cylinder that's missing gets interpreted as a lack of fuel for the oxygen to consume. The computer increases the fuel flow, which causes more missing- - - -more unused oxygen- - - -richer mixture- - - -eventually you get sooty spark plugs.

No clue where the water came from! Try new plugs and a new O2 sensor and hope for the best! You might be surprised how well it runs with the right air:fuel ratio!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    I am sure it wouldn't hurt to swap it. She getting old.

I swapped all the plugs. Ensured the electrode caps ( can't think of proper name right now..) were clean and not cracked.. Added some sea foam. I found out Water in gas is a common thing here. Prior to winter, everyone adds sea foam to their engine...

Knee jerk reaction to water on the plugs was bad intake gasket
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Last Jeep Liberty I worked on like that had a cracked head, only a new engine solved the problem.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Took it for a road test. Now I am really worried. So the popping comes back, gets rapid as I accelerate and disappears at around 2300 rpm. To make it worse I can feel it in gas pedal when it happens...The Gas pedals literally vibrates everytime it happens. I also noticed their is a valve tick/knock that will not go away.

Here is a video of it, but You have to put ear plugs in to hear it.
    Sounds like a bad cylinder head, google it.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Here it is...

The thing is...when it first happened, it happened in one instance. Like we drove to the store. stopped got out. and when we started the the jeep to leave, it started the noise.

th_IMG_0382.jpg
    That is what I am afraid of Doc...I am working on the google search.
    Decide if you really like it, the guy really liked his and was willing to sink money into his, it was a pristine vehicle he bought new and had spent lots of money on.