Home Main Category General Firearms

XD VS. Glock Owners Observations

VargetVarget MemberPosts: 99 Member
This is a question for those that own and shoot both Glock and XD pistols. Which one do you prefer over the other and why?

Replies

• twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    Sounds like a Chevy or ford question. No comparison for me, I own 3 Glocks and two xd's. I can shoot the xd a hell of a lot better than the glocks. The glock feels way to bulky for me. As far as reliability they are dead even, I have never had any kind of problem with either. I also like the grip safety on the xd, but a 1911 is probably my favorite pistol to shoot, so it just feels right to me. The Springfield feels like a quality gun to me while a glock does not.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    :popcorn:
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    I own both. I am more comfortable with my XD40, simply because I have shot it more. I've had it for about eight years, and it's my EDC gun. I've only had my G20 for about six months. I've only put ~150 rounds through it so far, compared to probably 2000 with the XD.

The grip angle on the XD does feel a little more natural to me. If I had more experience with the Glock, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,000 Senior Member
    XDm has a better trigger out of the box, the glock can be made to be about the same as the XDm.

but, it is 9mm vs 10mm so it's 20 vs 11 or 16 rnds.

The XDm is easier to take down.

I like them both equal.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,792 Senior Member
    I have DETAIL stripped a Glock in 45 seconds if you don't count the mag catch and slide lock. Call it a minute and a half if you do.

Since both suffer from being non-1911's, I'll take the non-1911 without the roll-pins.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    I don't feel bad about taking a Dremel, soldering iron, or putty to a Glock to make it more better for my hands............:tooth:
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,420 Senior Member
    I would have Glocks instead of XD's if it weren't for the stupid high grip...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Go get a Ruger MK .22, you need to learn, enable-fu ON!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    cpj wrote: »
    I prefer the XD. It fits my hand better.

So does your Jackson.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,420 Senior Member
    Go get a Ruger MK .22, you need to learn, enable-fu ON!

I do..... It has a scope and I shoot it slowly for small groups. If I tied to shoot it fast........... :nono:
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 792 Senior Member
    I guess I'm in the minority, I prefer Glocks. Have had several XD's and have traded or sold them for Glocks. I shoot my Glock 19 as well as any other of my handguns. I carry a 26 as my EDC. They seem to fit me fine. I've shot them a lot so I am used to the grip angle.
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    I own both. My Glock 17, Gen-2 was acquired in the 80's and I've shot it a lot. My XDM-40 had a much better trigger right out of the
    box. I took it to Geneseo and had them work the trigger down even lighter. They also put Trijicon night sights while I was there.
    It fits better in my hand and I shoot it a lot better then the Glock.

The XDM's just fit my hand better and the triggers of other XD's I've shot feel better than other Glocks I've shot.
    It's a small sample, but friends do stop by my place and let me shoot their guns.
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    I'm definitely in the minority.....I HATE the xd trigger. They have way too much take up, too much over-travel, and the reset is barely better than an M&P....really not my cup 'o tea.

The rest of it isn't really any better. Too many unnecessary parts, too heavy, way too difficult to strip, and the fact that the GS has to be depressed to work the slide is about the stupidest thing you could ever do to a potential "fighting" gun. I think the 5.25" XDm is a good range gun, but other than target shooting, it really isn't a well thought out design.
    I'm not much on EITHER trigger. Weight is /has to be so close to not matter. Glock wins hands down with simplicity.

I actually make the triggers in my Glocks heavier than factory. I drop in a minus connector, a NY1 TRS, and do a polish job, which gives me a very short, very crisp break, with an EXTREMELY positive reset. End trigger weight is ~6#.

NEITHER gun is difficult to field strip.

I should've specified; detail stripping. I can detail strip a Glock without having to punch out roll pins....XD (and M&P/polymer CZ) not'samuch.

Not a huge fan of the grip safety either.

Absolute deal breaker for me. I really don't like a GS in general, but one that has to be depressed to do any sort of "fixing" the gun is absolutely ludicrous.
    The extra weight you dislike Eli, is one of my pros over the Glock. The Springfield feels like more of a quality gun because of the weight while Glock feels more like a BLOCK of plastic. Also, while you hate the grip safety on the XD, I think the only SAFETY on the TRIGGER of the Glock is about worthless.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I do not own an XD, but have shot my buddies on many an outing. I like the gun, but will not carry a gun with a grip safety for sd. They also have a funny grip angle.:jester: I'll stick with my Glock, and let others who like something else carry on.
    twa wrote: »
    The Springfield feels like more of a quality gun because of the weight.....

Most of this stuff is very subjective "just 'cause" is a perfectly valid reason for preferring one over the other......

But did you seriously just say that a gun "feels" like it's a higher quality because it's heavier? Sorry Boris, that's just too much for me. I'm out.

:spittingcoffee:
    Eli wrote: »
    Most of this stuff is very subjective "just 'cause" is a perfectly valid reason for preferring one over the other......

But did you seriously just say that a gun "feels" like it's a higher quality because it's heavier? Sorry Boris, that's just too much for me. I'm out.

:spittingcoffee:

Yes I did. Like I said it doesn't FEEL like a pile of plastic like the Glock does, and weight is definetley a determining factor in that observation. (You know, the metal is heavier than plastic thing)

I will post again how I really feel about MY Glocks. (Not yours)

222730.jpg
  • SmithCorona03A3SmithCorona03A3 Member Posts: 138 Member
    I've owned both at one point. The older original XD. The Glocks felt better to me, as well as their trigger feel. The grip safety itself is a non-issue for me, but is it really needed on a modern auto? A steel trigger and steel sights add some comfort, but what I didn't like about the XD was how 'fat' it was. The height to bore axis is kinda absurd for a striker gun that doesn't need height to allow a hammer rotation like a traditional DA pistol. The Glock, even with its blocky slide is a lot more compact and streamlined. A frame that allows a good high grip, a low bore-line, and a smoother/lighter trigger were what sold me on the Glock
    Formerly known as SmithCorona03A3, back in the old forum days
    Those High Points work pretty good from what I hear, I would probably like it better than my Glocks, will have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up tubbutnugget.
  • VargetVarget Member Posts: 99 Member
    I've owned both at one point. The older original XD. The Glocks felt better to me, as well as their trigger feel. The grip safety itself is a non-issue for me, but is it really needed on a modern auto? A steel trigger and steel sights add some comfort, but what I didn't like about the XD was how 'fat' it was. The height to bore axis is kinda absurd for a striker gun that doesn't need height to allow a hammer rotation like a traditional DA pistol. The Glock, even with its blocky slide is a lot more compact and streamlined. A frame that allows a good high grip, a low bore-line, and a smoother/lighter trigger were what sold me on the Glock

Interesting post, so you find the XD as fatter than the Glock? I thought it was the other way around. A buddy of mine has an XDs and that thing is really thin.
    All three in .45 Caliber -
    Left is XDS .45, Center is Glock 30 .45, right is XD .45. Not sure what he is referring to as the XD being fat, this picture sums it up pretty good. Hence what I call the one in the center, a block.

xdvsglock.jpg
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I've got a Glock 30 and 36 (double stack & single stack .45acp), and an XD Tactical .45.

I shoot all 3 and enjoy the variety. The Glocks are typical, being a bit clubby in the hand but it's something you get used to quickly. After that, I'm very comfy with them, shoot with very acceptable accuracy.

The XD Tactical is larger but the grip is more pleasant from the start. However, as with the Glocks, I adapted to this grip too, and it shoots great!

I'm not capable of hand-held precision to the degree where I can detect any difference in the accuracy of these pistols -- they are all far more accurate than I can physically hold the gun on target (in other words, clamped to a vise, one pistol might be slightly more accurate than another, but that's for some magazine to do -- I'm happy as is).

These pistols have never, not a single time, misfired or jammed or otherwise failed to work.

My only complaint is that they are all three a bit "clubby" in the grip compared with, say, a 1911. But the 1911 is perfection anyway, so I don't hold any grudges for these three excellent pistols.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    One thing is sure for Me, when I started in firearms, I did not have the Internet for advice in personal defense matters, I learned mostly from structured institutions, Police, Military, non structured experience such as hunting etc and sometimes getting shot at corrected bad learning, for better or for worse, I know what I know.

I once in more ignorant times thought a S&W model 10 4 inch heavy barrel w / round butt BH grips was perfection, I still do.......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Varget wrote: »
    Interesting post, so you find the XD as fatter than the Glock? I thought it was the other way around. A buddy of mine has an XDs and that thing is really thin.

"Fat" in height rather than width. The width of either doesn't bother me so much as the height. My Beretta M9 is wider than both but that doesn't bother me. But the tall slide on the XD vs the Glock bothers me. The height-to-bore has a direct impact on how the gun handles under recoil and how it falls back into place for the next follow-up shot. The lower the bore the more natural the gun points and the faster the target acquisition on the draw, IMO. The closer the sights are in relation to your hand the faster they are to pick up. Most DA/SA autos, as well as the Government model .45, are limited in this regard, as a certain amount of height is required to allow sufficient space for a frame-mounted hammer to be able to rotate into the firing pin & slide. The Glock, and other striker-fired pistols are not bound by that limitation. The Glock has a very shallow slide in relation to the grip frame and where the shooter's hand is place on the grip. An XD, working on the same striker-fired action configuration, is super high (or "fat" in my words) in relation to that bit of engineering. And I don't like it.

Courtesy of the Google Interweb page
    If I can stuff it in My pocket, I care less about actual measurements.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    ELI Quote: Absolute deal breaker for me. I really don't like a GS in general, but one that has to be depressed to do any sort of "fixing" the gun is absolutely ludicrous.[/QUOTE]

My XD is like you mentioned about having to depress the grip safety to "fix" the gun (older original model) my XDS (newer gun) is not, on the XDS the grip safety does not need to be depressed to "fix" the gun. Not sure if this is something they have changed on all the newer models. Would be interested to hear from XDM model owners to which way it is on their guns.
    twa wrote: »
    ELI Quote: Absolute deal breaker for me. I really don't like a GS in general, but one that has to be depressed to do any sort of "fixing" the gun is absolutely ludicrous.

My XD is like you mentioned about having to depress the grip safety to "fix" the gun (older original model) my XDS (newer gun) is not, on the XDS the grip safety does not need to be depressed to "fix" the gun. Not sure if this is something they have changed on all the newer models. Would be interested to hear from XDM model owners to which way it is on their guns.[/QUOTE]

Translation ?
    :confused: :uhm:

I have no idea or clue what you are on about.......