Home Main Category General Firearms

AR-15. What is the real attraction?

N320AWN320AW Senior MemberPosts: 648 Senior Member
Will anyone be completely honest and tell me why the AR-15 rifle is so popular?

I have worked at an outdoor shooting range for over six years as a range officer. From my observations I would say that about 25% of the firearms brought to our range are mostly AR-15's and a few AR-10's. Except for September & October (deer season) where we see real hunting rifles,the AR's seem to predominate.

I have watched several TV shows whereas you have some gal saying the AR is fun to shoot, yakity yak! Sure they are, but what is the REAL ATTRACTION?

To sit at a range table and fire off 30 rounds in as many seconds, to me, doesn't make any sense! All I see is money flying out the ejection port! This is not target shooting. It's just pulling the trigger to make the thing go BANG! Fine with me, but some of these shooters have been playing too many video games, watched too much TV, or spend way too much money at the movies, in my opinion.

Why I've seen on a regular basis shooters arrive at the range completely dressed-out in paramilitary gear. What is with this?

Other than being fun to shoot (?) why so many AR's in the U.S.?

Thanks. Remarks like "Because I can," is old hat. Skip it.:blah:

Replies

• VargetVarget Member Posts: 99 Member
    Its the toy for the grown up, with everything you can add to an AR and as easy as they are to customize, they are just a great platform for shooters. The barbie doll of the gun world.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,539 Senior Member
    It is accurate, ammo is relatively cheap, one gun can be quickly modified to serve a specific purpose, there are a plethora of accessories, it can be easily adjusted to fit more than one shooter in the house, recoil is light to non-existant depending on the brake, if there is civil unrest there will be plent of spare parts, magazines and ammo, just off the top of my head.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    I'll just bet that those morons drive clean trucks too!
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Because I can. Should there be justification of good reason before one can purchase a firearm? I own a S&W 500 the gun is borderline stupid and I own it because I wanted it. Why do so many people own a Ruger 10/22 with 25 round magazines blasting away? Makes all the sense in the world to me.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    If I gotta tell you then you just wouldn't understand!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,702 Senior Member
    Perhaps you need a new avatar...

Elmer_Fudd.png&q=90&w=640&zc=1
    Overkill is underrated.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    N320AW wrote: »
    Will anyone be completely honest and tell me why the AR-15 rifle is so popular?

what is the REAL ATTRACTION?

It's a gun.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    If I gotta tell you then you just wouldn't understand!

Yes I would. Learn me something. I'm all ears!
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    What Chiro said.

Also, AR 15: .223, 6x45, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 300 Blackout, 7.62x39, 458 SOCOM, 50 Beowulf. AR 10: 243 Win, 260 Rem, 308, 338 Fed. I'd say ARs are real hunting rifles, whatever that is.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,792 Senior Member
    I think the popularity of the intermediate cartridges and their launch platforms among the masses comes from the fact that they were MADE for the masses. A lot of studying went on during and after WWII that force the powers-that-were to realize that the average person behind a rifle can't wrap their brain around a ballistic arc, can't manage recoil, won't even try to hit a target past 200 yards, and will whine about any rifle that's longer than a nail file, or weighs more than a mug of coffee.

Enter the 5.56x45 and 7.62x39: average tools for the average tool.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,563 Senior Member
    I like revolvers, but I'm not gonzo over some old 5-screw Smith or Ruger single action...it pose the same question to those that like those things enthusiastically.

But I don't try and un-justify why those people like them or any gun for that matter.

And to me, the AR platform is THE most versatile firearm ever adapted. One receiver--almost a dozen calibers; all more than capable of HD, SD, hunting or competition. Your HD gun becomes your 3 Gun rifle with an upper swap, then your hunting rig...what other gun does that? None.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    "Terrorist rifles" are all the rage. Didn't you know. I mean I agree why would anyone want to own or shoot one? Shooting is only about target shooting and hunting right? And If I don't understand something then it just makes no sense.

Paging Mr. Zumbo

:roll:
    Rereading the OP, I get a distinct feeling of deja moo...
    Overkill is underrated.
    Rereading the OP, I get a distinct feeling of deja moo...

That is why you didn't do well in reading comprehension!
    cpj wrote: »
    Oh. And because I ing can. (See, there's a twist)

Cute. Wanna respond to the OP?
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Ever play with Legos when you were a kid? Same thing! You can make an AR into anything right on your kitchen table... In 2 minutes my 7.5" room sweeper becomes a 10.5" outdoors HD gun or a 16" medium range reach out an touch someone weapon. And you can roll your own EXACTLY the way you want it. What's there not to like?[/QUOT

Yeah! Making a living!
  • DurangoKidDurangoKid Member Posts: 183 Member
    Contemporary military firearms are always popular with each generation. It was the Spfld. 1903 that was the rage and it was customized and shot for game and targets. Then it was the Garand M-1 rifle M- Carbines. The Spfld. M1-A1 was very popular. Now it is the M-16 "Light".
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    My AR-10 has killed every deer I shot with it just as dead as those shot with "REAL" hunting rifles.

If you don't understand that is fine. Just don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining because you don't like my choice.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,600 Senior Member
    Not to mention, anybody with a smidge of mechanical aptitude can build one in a couple hours.
    [QUOTE

If you don't understand that is fine. Just don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining because you don't like my choice.[/QUOTE]

Relax dude. I just asked why I see so many AR-15's at the range!
    DurangoKid wrote: »
    Contemporary military firearms are always popular with each generation. It was the Spfld. 1903 that was the rage and it was customized and shot for game and targets. Then it was the Garand M-1 rifle M- Carbines. The Spfld. M1-A1 was very popular. Now it is the M-16 "Light".

Best answer I've heard yet. Seems everyone else wants to just play the game.
    That is why you didn't do well in reading comprehension!
    Considering you've posted this same thread before, with the same complaints about rates of fire and how some people show up, using the same bias towards "real hunting rifles" (your term)....

I think it's you that either failed at the comprehension or retention. Hence my use of deja moo. We've experienced this same bull before.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Yes I would. Learn me something. I'm all ears!

It is a highly accurate platform that allows the shooter to engage multiple targets without reloading; as an avid pig hunter it is the best hunting platform available today. The gun is adaptable to quite a few different calibers without changing the basic gun. The rifle is also easily made custom for the shooters preference without major gunsmithing knowledge or tools and you probably still will not understand.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,420 Senior Member
    AR15-Barbie-Doll-for-Guys.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Speaking of reading comprehension, (or lack thereof) you should read the first post I made. The one right above the one you quoted.

I do not understand you're point!
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    Your post makes it sound like anyone that brings an AR to the range is an idiot wanna be that just wants to look cool. That is why you are receiving so many hostile comment toward you, but maybe that's what you are really looking for. You really work at a shooting range and don't understand the popularity of the AR platform?:troll: If you don't "get it" you probably don't need to be working at a gun range.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Here's what I see from talking with AR owning coworkers, and previously unknown persons at a range.......It's a grown-up BB gun. It's fun to shoot. For kids, women, men, sporting, hunting, just plinking........it's a .22lr on hulk-roids. Lots of ex GIs procure them cause that's what they know, it's familiar to them......and there are a TON of ex GIs out there again. Some people get a kick outa having/shooting a "military firearm" per se. Me, I like them cause I grew up with them, they're accurate, and honest........they treat you like you treat them.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    No, he did well. It's just that you have posted the exact same topic before.
    Nope. Show me!
    Here's what I see from talking with AR owning coworkers, and previously unknown persons at a range.......It's a BB gun for adults. It's fun to shoot. Lots of ex GIs procure them cause that's what they know, it's familiar to them......and there are a TON of ex GIs out there again. Some people get a kick outa having/shooting a "military firearm" per se. Me, I like them cause I grew up with them, they're accurate, and honest........they treat you like you treat them.[/Q

Thanks. Too bad others around here attempt to make something over nothing!