Home Main Category Personal Defense

SC officer shoots man reaching for cane

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
This one, I'll give the cop the benefit of doubt. The guy was probably doing what he does every time he he stops his truck and the cop just reacted to what he thought was him going for a rifle. Under investigation, so we will learn more.

Tragic event, but looks like the old guy will make it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/sc-officer-shoots-man-reaching-for-cane/2014/02/26/1b97852e-9f3d-11e3-878c-65222df220eb_story.html
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• dlddld Member Posts: 456 Member
    ten years ago I would of said the Officer was probably at fault by shooting to fast, now days I can not blame him because people have just gotten weirder and you just don't know.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    dld wrote: »
    I can not blame him because people have just gotten weirder and you just don't know.

So just shoot and sort it out later.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    "The officer fired several times- - - - -" and scored one non-lethal hit! They ought to fire him for lousy marksmanship, even if they don't can him for being a trigger-happy paranoid jerk! At least the old geezer will get to be a millionaire on the county's money, if he's got a lawyer worthy of the name!
    :angry:
    Jerry
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Good thing the guy didn't grab a Hurrycane (as seen on TV) the cop might have thought it was a Gatlin gun :yikes: :rotflmao:

https://www.hurrycane.com/?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    This one, I'll give the cop the benefit of doubt. The guy was probably doing what he does every time he he stops his truck and the cop just reacted to what he thought was him going for a rifle. Under investigation, so we will learn more.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/sc-officer-shoots-man-reaching-for-cane/2014/02/26/1b97852e-9f3d-11e3-878c-65222df220eb_story.html

No way I give him a pass. You or any other regular Joe rear ends this guy, and he gets out and grabs his cane. You then stupidly shoot an unarmed man, and you go to jail. Cop should go too. Simple as that. Good for the goose and all that.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    I guess it depends on ALL the circumstances at the time.

For example, if the driver had reached in the tray of the ute and lifted the cane up so the tip of it came in sight first, wouldn't it resemble a rifle barrel?............and if he swung it in an arc and swung it towards the officer before his hand came into view, it could be perceived as a threat.

We were not there...............lets wait till the full facts come out.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    Sounds like the officer needs some glasses and comparison of canes to long bbl. rifles, plus why was the man getting out of his vehicle during a traffic stop? What were the instructions from the office during the stop?
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Most people who walk with canes have handicap plates on their vehicles. If the old man has handicap plates, the cop should have expected a cane or crutch. It also wouldn't have hurt if the old man had told the officer he was just reaching for his cane. Lots of Monday morning quarterbacking going on here.

The officer was wrong here. If we all just ran around blasting everybody we thought might be a threat, imagine what that might mean to people who open carry. OOOOH! A gun! Bang Bang Bang. Sorry cops, I know you wanna live just like the rest of us, but you're just going to have to take your chances with the public. But...but...But Nothing. I don't want to hear it. Besides, seriously, how often do 70 year old guys pulled over for a traffic stop try to pull a rifle out of their truck bed trying to get the drop on a cop? How about never?
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    "The officer fired several times- - - - -" and scored one non-lethal hit! They ought to fire him for lousy marksmanship, even if they don't can him for being a trigger-happy paranoid jerk! At least the old geezer will get to be a millionaire on the county's money, if he's got a lawyer worthy of the name!
    :angry:
    Jerry

You have 2 seconds to draw, aim and hit a 12" wide target as many times as you can. Oh and if you don't, you'll probably die, so...go!

Wonder what your hit ratio would be.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »

Probably better than the Nashville PD training officer who told me he carries a high-capacity Glock "So I can throw away a few shots while I'm diving for cover!" Maybe the guy in this incident subscribes to the NYPD model- - - -"Spray and Pray".
    :guns:
    Jerry
  • DurangoKidDurangoKid Member Posts: 183 Member
    Humm?? If a civilian with a CCW shot a crippled man reaching for a cane he would be in serious trouble. It would make the George Zimmerman case look like a school play.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    You have 2 seconds to draw, aim and hit a 12" wide target as many times as you can. Oh and if you don't, you'll probably die, so...go!

I know Jerry, he has his head on straight, I have also seen Jerry shoot, if the chips are down, My bet is on him, I am sure God will direct his shot, if it ever becomes necessary. I pray it does not become necessary.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Joking and speculation aside:

I was a tragic event, if nothing else. My :angel2: are with the old feller and the cop who must be torturing him/herself over this inside. I'm sure both wished it would not have happened like it did and they would have acted differently.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »

IMHO, *THIS* is why it is a poor choice to hire someone as an LEO at age 21 with almost no real life experience outside the jail/law-enforcement community. Their ONLY viewpoint of the world is that narrow spectrum of an LEO, without the wisdom needed to avoid snap decisions and tragic consequences like this. Yes.... I know he was 24, but if you read the article, you will note that he had been an LEO for 3 yrs.... ie, he was hired at age 21.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    The real problem is proper training at the academy, not every LE academy has the budget needed to hire the right Instructors to really bring LEOs up to speed on how to deal with the many diverse situations they will encounter in the field.

If you are scared to death and tremble every time you need to pull someone over, you really must find another line of work, one that does not directly involve making life and death decisions, or be a desk ****.

Not everyone is psychologically fit to be a Police Officer.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • KSDeputyKSDeputy Member Posts: 55 Member
    I am a retired peace officer and I use a cane. Knowing both sides of the equation, I probably would have said I need my cane, ok? Had I been the officer I would challenge the senior and said do not reach for anything. I have always been very careful, but I do not lean towards using deadly force unless I have a gut feeling that my life or that of someone else is in danger. Hindsight is 20/20, I was not there. Had it been me, I am a bit more conservative or mellow if you will. Too many years on the job gives you more insight into human behavior, plus having been to the range quarterly for many years lets me feel confident that I can hit what I need to with a couple of shots. Thank goodness the senior was not killed for a cane.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    I'll say it again - how often do 70 year old senior citizens try to shoot police officers during traffic stops? Oh, I'm sure it's happened once in the last 50 years - or not. This shooting was incredibly stupid and wrong -and not from a 20/20 hindsight point of view - it was wrong from the start. That cop is clearly a mental case and should be fired immediately and prosecuted for his crime - and all the rationalizations and excuses be darned. God, I wish I could curse and swear on this board.
    Having done a few stints as a LEO, I am very careful with My hands when I am pulled over, sometimes, I will get smart aleck questions about why I am being so careful, and I point out as a reserve LEO, I do not want them to feel threatened until they can verify who I am.

Edited to add:

There was no reason for that man to exit the vehicle during a traffic stop, anyone that simply watches enough television knows that.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Truly unfortunate. LEO had headlights in his face even if the stopped vehicle had spotlights on it still hard to tell what the object in the old man's hands is.....LEO was a little quick on the draw IMHO but I wasn't there.