Plumbing messed up

roadkingroadking Senior MemberPosts: 3,056 Senior Member
Just put a new hot water heater in. Filled it and reopened all the lines. First drop is the kitchen sink...perfect.
Washer and laundry sink are next. Good.
Powder room next...water is tepid...both hot and cold outlets.
Upstairs...all COLD (we have a well, water is about 50 degrees).
Closed the Cold water feed...getting hot water out of the cold side. closed each feed at each source, then as expected, no water out the cold side. Must be a mixing valve somewhere along the lines (at one time it was a boarding house, and it was a common practice around here, from what I hear to prevent burns).
Followed all lines, about to check under the vanity upstairs as that is the only place I can't visually see the entire feed. Have to remove it.
In the event there isn't a mix valve...what else?
It did get better when I only opened the cold up a 1/4 turn...apparently that is where it always had been, I just never noticed.
Old houses...what do you expect.

Matt
Support your local Scouts!

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,759 Senior Member
    Is there a separate valve handle for hot and cold water at the faucet, or is it one of those faucets that use only one handle to mix hot and cold water? If it is the latter, then the mixing valve inside the faucet is faulty. You are on well water, so it is possible you have a small piece of sand/gravel stuck in the mixing valve that is holding the cold open and keeping the hot water feed closed. If this is the case, you'll need to cut off water to the offending faucet and disassemble the faucet to find out.

FWIW, I'm on well water, and it's happened to me before I installed a beg filter in the well line coming into the house.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    No, all our faucets are hot cold knobs, no singles.
    I shut down each line at each faucet, and all is working properly. I do have a filter on the incoming water...thank goodness. I recently put it in as I grew tired of every month having to use the shop vac on the washing machine intake.
    Can't find a mixing valve or anyplace where the hot and cold are tied together. I can see the entire run (except of course as it pass thru the floor a couple inches). Redid the kitchen, and have access to the lines via access panel. The other plumbing to the powder room I installed new as I was redoing plaster.
    This is turning into a dome scratcher...I must be missing something. They are obviously connected somewhere since by turning off the cold feed on the main line, hot water then comes from the cold faucet.
    I think I need a beer.
    Thanks Mike, any other suggestion appreciated.

Matt
    The beer didn't help...I'll try another one.

Matt
    Well, since you have separate valves for hot and cold, all I can think of is that you are backfeeding from the water heater into the cold water line. Check your plumbing to the water heater again.

Also, there is supposed to be a funny looking little rubber gasket in the inlet and outlet of the water heater to prevent this backflow. Do you remember when installing the new water heater if these gaskets were in place?
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• dlkdlk Member Posts: 419 Member
    You connected your toilet to the hot water line didn't you?:jester:
    STEALTH COMPETENT

I know what I'm doing, it just doesn't look like it.
    DLK, the wife wished I did on these cold mornings.

tennmike, yeah, all in proper. I had a plumber friend of mine give me a hand...I weigh 125, heater weighs 130 and I know when to ask for backup...LOL!

Okay. Shut cold feed off to experiment. went to downstairs shower turned on the cold faucet...cold for a bit (shouldn't be any water coming out, but it's full strength), getting warmer and then 125 hot.
    Next, feel all cold water lines in house, starting with where it comes thru floor from the basement and splits to bathroom and upstairs. Feed is cold...good, not the heater. Feed to upstairs, hot. Check upstairs at shower (next drop). Cold feed is hot. Cross the bathroom to the sink/vanity...cold feed is cold. Looks like the missing link is there...of course, just dry walled the ceiling downstairs (1860 home, plumbing was exposed...now I see why).
    Looks like I'll be lifting the floor this weekend to find the culprit...grrrr! Well, on the plus side, it's too cold to enjoy being outside.
    Have plenty of PEX, Shark Bites, implements of destruction ready. Oh, the fun I have to look forward to, but it will be worth it in the end...I hope.

Matt
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,701 Senior Member
    Just switch the little thingies on the top of the taps that denote which is hot or cold around..............:wink:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    Just switch the little thingies on the top of the taps that denote which is hot or cold around..............:wink:

YOU Sir, are officially a redneck! :rotflmao:

Thought about that...but when the cold feed is on, you either get COLD or TEPID...I don't have a little button with a "T"...LOL!

Matt
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    Is the shower a single handle?

You have to have a crossover at some point and if you didnt put one in while putting in the water heater, then it has to be a fault because it worked before. Just because your water is filtered NOW, doesn not mean there wasnt crap in the pipes that came loose when you drained them then banged water back through them.

Just for giggles if you cant find anything. Cut off the water and drain the pipes. Close all the valves and open the farthest hot away, then turn the water on. You might be airlocked.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Nope, no single handle faucets.
    Will give the airlock a shot before ripping...I mean carefully removing "stuff".
    I had thought about that, but the last test I described above tells me the lines are hooked together.
    I was a builder, but subbed the plumbing out. Luckily, I have some time on my hands now...LOL!

Matt
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,895 Senior Member
    dlk wrote: »
    You connected your toilet to the hot water line didn't you?:jester:
    That is not fun we Had the hot and clod get crossed when a pipe broke under the cement under the crawlspace once.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    "Powder room next...water is tepid...both hot and cold outlets."

I would say the problem lies here. Even if it is a double handle the water still mixes. If you are valved under this sink, close both of these and check upstairs bath.

I got a quarter on the cold water side valve in the powder room.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    I'll try that one tonight Varmnitmist...I did close the valves and hit the water on...hot first then cold, and worked as normal...but in this old house...lets just say the prior owners shouldn't be allowed a ball of yarn, let alone tools. After 8 years, I still find, what's the word I want...rampant ineptitude at some of the things they did...hot and neutral wire for the same circuit...each on different breakers for one. My electrician wore out his test equipment.
    Just bothers me knowing the only thing we did was cut 2 pipes and re-plumb it and open the valves. Perhaps the down time let stuff settle. That and the fact that with the cold feed off, full pressure hot comes out the cold side.
    So close to buying 200' of PEX and re running the whole house...if all else fails, that's the route we will take.
    Appreciate the brain storming all.

Matt
    Cut off valves in, shut off the upstairs and downstairs works as it should. At least I answered my original question...where was it messed up. Now I have isolated the area at least, and kids can take a proper temp shower...LOL

Matt