Home Main Category General Firearms

I have another itch. (AR Pistol)

BPsniperBPsniper Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
That I just might need to scratch.

I have been trying to find a 1911 in 9mm that I like for about a year now. My luck has not been good. I'm too picky and anything I get would have to be seriously modified to truely make me happy. That's a lot of time, work, and cash. I feel like I'm trying to force something and in the end, would come up with something that's not quite what I wanted. So..............

I've been looking around for something that caught my eye and would be very useful and simple to get into. I found it!!!!!

Rock River Arms .223 Caliber RRA LAR-15 10 1/2 Inch A4
RRA-AR2125X_lg.jpg

The way I see it, I can get into this gun for relatively cheap. I have accessories out the butt for this platform and ammo to boot. Put that all together and this seems like a pretty simple decision. I end up with a compact weapon for HD, travel, and general fun at the range. I mean, what's not perfect about this?

If I do this, I already have the parts to change it the way I want it.

- Holland Brake
- Surefire Quad Rail or VLTOR-CASV forend. (whichever I decide is best for it)
- Ergo Grip
- Mags
- Enhanced Mag Release
- VTac Sling and sling attachments
- Flip up iron sights
- AimPoint Micro

I mean, everything I need! I think this would end up being a trick little gun for it's intended purpose.

Thoughts?

Replies

• WeatherbyWeatherby Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
  • bruchibruchi Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Have a pistol lower waiting for funds to buy an upper, was thinking of 9mm but somehow that idea faded, most probably will go with 223 but the idea of 7.62x39 appeals as ammo is more affordable, anyone know which option, 223 0r 7.62x39 out of a 7" barrel will fare better as a close quarters defense weapon?

BP please by all means get one, that way they will become more acceptable around here!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • BPsniperBPsniper Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Meh. (there, I didnt enable you)

You just wait, Mister. Wait till you see this sucker rigged up. Least, in my head.......with the midget in the cowboy outfit........ridding the stick horse.......it looks REALLY cool and performs perfectly.
    They are just too big to be a "pistol", and you get 20 years in a FPMITA prison if you put a stock on one.

Oh ye of little imagination.
    This is an honest question, because I don't know. So, somebody set me straight.

An AR pistol is a pistol in design and clasification. But, does that mean it is illegal to place the buffer spring tube against your shoulder and fire it? Without rifle stock, mind you. Just the tube.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    What NO CAN? I would think a can would be more "user friendly" with the extra weight and lesser noise.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Posts: 18,356 Senior Member
    Wrong. You ought to see the midget cowboy in my head right now.

HOLY CRAP! Shoot low Sheriff! They're ridin Shetlands!!!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • timctimc Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I had that same itch a while back but really don't like the looks of the buffer tube out the back. I ended up going with the Kel-Tec PLR16 that I really like a lot. The gun takes standard AR mags and is not to pricey to buy. Mine shoots really well and it sure does get a lot of attention at the range when I am playing with it.
    PLR-16complete.jpg?t=1254556987
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Posts: 18,356 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »

An AR pistol is a pistol in design and clasification. But, does that mean it is illegal to place the buffer spring tube against your shoulder and fire it? Without rifle stock, mind you. Just the tube.

Probably no more illegal than bringing your 1911 up really close to your face so you can see the sights better... I believe, as long as there is no "stock-like" pad or attachment on the buffer tube...you are good to go...

Using it on a tight sling would probably be more effective though...

I've been kicking this idea around for awhile ...I wanna see how yours turns out...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Probably no more illegal than bringing your 1911 up really close to your face so you can see the sights better... I believe, as long as there is no "stock-like" pad or attachment on the buffer tube...you are good to go...

Using it on a tight sling would probably be more effective though...

I've been kicking this idea around for awhile ...I wanna see how yours turns out...

Cool. I'm going to check into that more. If what you say is true...........this is going to be a little beast. Especially with the brake!!!!!!!
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Posts: 6,112 Senior Member
    I used to think pistol AR's were silly, but then I shot Bullsi's Mare's Leg (lever action pistol). I think since you already have the stuff you want to put on it, that could be a lot of fun.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Posts: 12,419 Senior Member
    You know I almost bought a Mini-Draco the other day, right? The Smaller AK-47 Pistol...

Yeah. I have the same itch. But I would get the tax stamp and put a folding stock on it.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigslugBigslug Posts: 9,858 Senior Member
    OK! HEADS UP PEOPLE! Gecko45 has knocked BPSniper on the head and taken over his computer. I've got a hostage negotiator en route to see what his demands are. Hopefully, we can get BP back with all of his fingers and toes. We might need to start pooling resources to come up with the ransom.

An AR pistol? Seriously? Doesn't your job give you unlimited access to the USEFUL versions of this concept - with stocks and happy-fun parts in the trigger group - for deployment against exactly the sort of people who think that AR pistols are super-neato-keen? Did you get a contact high from a bust or something?

Eyes on the prize, buddy. Build your damn 9mm already. It'll be a far more effective combat tool than that pile of over-regulated stupidity.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Posts: 8,606 Senior Member
    I have a 7" and a 15" upper for my AR-Pistol - Love em!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Bigslug wrote: »
    OK! HEADS UP PEOPLE! Gecko45 has knocked BPSniper on the head and taken over his computer. I've got a hostage negotiator en route to see what his demands are. Hopefully, we can get BP back with all of his fingers and toes. We might need to start pooling resources to come up with the ransom.

An AR pistol? Seriously? Doesn't your job give you unlimited access to the USEFUL versions of this concept - with stocks and happy-fun parts in the trigger group - for deployment against exactly the sort of people who think that AR pistols are super-neato-keen? Did you get a contact high from a bust or something?

Eyes on the prize, buddy. Build your damn 9mm already. It'll be a far more effective combat tool than that pile of over-regulated stupidity.

:blah:

Kill-joy. Come on, man. Can't I go Mall Ninja for ONCE in my life? Why do I have to be normal all the time. Can't I come ungrounded and stray on the wild side just a little? Why do the wackos get to have all the fun. I just want to deck one gun out all stupid and say I have one totally wierd gun. Please?
    So, if one has an AR-pistol, they are....below????
    Where is my mommy?:confused:
    :blah:

Kill-joy. Come on, man. Can't I go Mall Ninja for ONCE in my life? Why do I have to be normal all the time. Can't I come ungrounded and stray on the wild side just a little? Why do the wackos get to have all the fun. I just want to deck one gun out all stupid and say I have one totally wierd gun. Please?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Hush you! I'm using Bigslug speak. The adults are having a conversation. I'll come play with you in a minute.

(Besides, you use yours for LR shooting. I'm talking about putting red dot sights, lights, and lasers, and who knows what else I will find in the cave to slap on this sucker. You know..........wierd stuff.)
    :guns::guns::guns::guns:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I just want to deck one gun out all stupid and say I have one totally wierd gun.

That part's fine, it's the fact that you're trying to rationalize such a thing that's got me concerned.

But honestly, it's money diverted away from the thing that you really want - the thing that you've been agonizing (us) over for months. You are a SHOOTER, and what you're talking about buying is a modernized version of a pilgrim's blunderbuss - except for the fact that it's even harder to aim. I suspect you'll come to that conclusion after its first trip to the range.

Think about your descendants going through your collection three or four generations down the line, when their grasp of our period of history has gotten a little fuzzy:

"Yeah. . .old Grandpa B.P. surely had good taste, but he got a little weird there for a while. I think he picked up this one when he was stoned out of his mind after a Hendrix concert. I think he only kept it around to remind him of the hangover and why he probably shouldn't do that again.":drool:
    WWJMBD?

Stop making sense, ****! I've had a Vicodin and a dark beer............Let me enjoy my space trip!!!!!
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Posts: 6,112 Senior Member
    You could just call STI and see if they'll do a one-off of the Trojan with the slide stamped differently... Juuuuuust saying.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Stop making sense, ****! I've had a Vicodin and a dark beer............Let me enjoy my space trip!!!!!

Dude, if you wanna go on a space trip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udu8QeBOWVA
    WWJMBD?

Dude, if you wanna go on a space trip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udu8QeBOWVA

That's about as exciting as.............:zzzz:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    He ya go......Lou Reed 'Take A Walk On The Wild Side'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KaWSOlASWc
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Posts: 12,419 Senior Member

Some people just don't understand. You OBVIOUSLY have real, serious, defensive guns including SBR AR-15s. Sometime a guns only purpose is to be goofy and fun.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • LerchessLerchess Posts: 550 Senior Member
    bruchi wrote: »
    Have a pistol lower waiting for funds to buy an upper, was thinking of 9mm but somehow that idea faded, most probably will go with 223 but the idea of 7.62x39 appeals as ammo is more affordable, anyone know which option, 223 0r 7.62x39 out of a 7" barrel will fare better as a close quarters defense weapon?

.300 Blackout will do better than both! :love: My experience is that 7.62x39 needs to stay in AK's and bolt guns.

BP, don't you listen to the debbie downers :) AR pistols can be a hoot. For what its worth, we use the tube in the shoulder method of firing. I do not bring out the AR pistol a lot, but it is fun.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Some people just don't understand. You OBVIOUSLY have real, serious, defensive guns including SBR AR-15s. Sometime a guns only purpose is to be goofy and fun.

No. . .I just grew up and bought a shotgun, and the purpose of a gun is to deliver a bullet to something that you're trying to hit

My beef with such things is something like how a vintage muscle car enthusiast might think of cosmetic features on. . .oh, I dunno. . .a modern retro-styled Dodge Challenger. The real deal from back in the day had hood scoops that took in ACTUAL air to generate ACTUAL horsepower. The new stuff is just there too look like it does.

And that's not even really a great comparison. The modern car is at least still functional in the sense that it is an automobile that will get you down the road just about as well. A pistol AR has NOTHING for functionality - it doesn't conceal or conveniently carry like a pistol, it doesn't have the maneuverability of a true SBR, and it doesn't have the usable accuracy of either. All it does is serve as a poor reminder of what we've been regulated out of.

I'm all in favor of turning money into noise, but wouldn't a string of firecrackers be a more cost-effective approach?
    WWJMBD?

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    For some ridiculous reason, I'd love to have something like that in .45acp

Dan
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    You know that RRA also makes a piston AR pistol without the tube, just in case you want to go all John Clark/mall ninja...

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=441

xlg_LP2110.jpg
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • mythaeusmythaeus Posts: 831 Senior Member

National Firearms Act (NFA), 27 C.F.R. § 479.11, “pistol” is defined as:
    … a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

An AR pistol is exactly designed for that. Even if you decided to shoulder the buffer tube, it wasn't designed to be shouldered unless you intentionally add modifications to shoulder it (e.g add some padding at the end of the tube to make it more comfortable for shouldering).

I shoot AR pistols by straining the sling with my elbow to create a straight "pad" where I can rest my cheek on. Without the sling, I rest my cheek on the tube so I prefer either the ACE tube with the foam padding. For one of my pistols (below) without the foam padding (an RRA complete lower like yours), I wrapped parachute cords around it because the metal tube rips my facial hair out otherwise.

ar57_updated_04.jpg

I've since added an enhanced trigger guard on this lower, which I'm sure you will do. Needless to say, no plastic BUIS on that railed gas block of yours.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama