Personal Defense strategy

Replies

• horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    Personal Defense strategy? None really. No matter what scenario you train for, if it ever happens, it won't be like that. I don't carry 2 guns, or a knife, or mace or pepper spray. I just carry my awesome, pee-bringing .22 WMR NAA Mini Revolver in my front pants pocket. I live in a very upscale, gated and guarded crime-free retirement development so there are no gang-bangers, or Trayvon wannabes strolling about. This place is crawling with retired military - I'm sure there are many, many more guns here than people.

Besides, nothing bad ever happens to me.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I do not play fair, and have never been late on the draw, or I would not be posting this now.

Or you would see this ending on all My posts.

Sent from my coffin using deadatalk 2

A good friend of mine was back stabbed through the heart with a Mauser bayonet, three guy were already in his house, he killed two and wounded the third guy that was later arrested at the hospital, yes, he died but not before retaliating.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »

A good friend of mine was back stabbed through the heart with a Mauser bayonet, three guy were already in his house, he killed two and wounded the third guy that was later arrested at the hospital, yes, he died but not before retaliating.

They used the bayonet incorrectly.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    They used the bayonet incorrectly.
    kidney? Right?
    It's because I hate Trump.
    kidney? Right?

No.

I prefer the throat. That is a target rich environment. All in one neat easy to reach location. From any direction.

Artery
    Windpipe
    Esophagus

Consider this, the feeling of drowning or suffocation is a very panicked feeling. It's very hard to think of much else but BREATHING..........when you can't. Think of it as drowning on dry land.

Ive never been stabbed in the throat. But I've almost drowned. That was not fun.

Add choking to suffocation. I've seen the utter PANIC in eyes. Air becomes most important to you, but you can't get it..............ever again............as you gurgle and blow blood out your throat as you exhale. Then, inhale nothing but frothy blood..........and gag. Over and over again...........until you can't.

Screw the kidney. Take the Golden Throat.
  • topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member
    Copious amounts of urine, feces, and high-pitched screaming should be an adequate diversionary tactic...

That always makes me run for the hills. It should be illegal.
    You do know the FBI routinely reads posts on forums like these don't you ? and you come off sounding like a serial killer / pure Sociopath / psychopathic murderer, not a person defending themselves from attack.......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    You do know the FBI routinely reads posts on forums like these don't you ? and you come off sounding like a serial killer / pure Sociopath / psychopathic murderer, not a person defending themselves from attack.......

It's science.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,431 Senior Member
    It's science.

But, dude, it's like....you know....the FBI!

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    Linefinder wrote: »

Mike

You're right!!

Let's go back to talking about shooting folks with guns. This knife stuff will get us in trouble!

;-)
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,944 Senior Member
    Got to agree with Zed - at kissing distance, knives are easier to deploy than pistols, and darned effective if you know what you're doing. Barring spine and brain hits, blood loss is what does the trick, and you can cause as much or more of that with a 3.5" Spyderco than with the marginally placed small caliber hits you're likely to be delivering in situations where you can't extend the arms and aim.

Ahhh for the days when I still actually had time for the martial arts training. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Mike

thanks mike.

I stand by what I said, shooting to defend is one thing, enjoying is quite another.....
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,651 Senior Member

Mike

Would that be Fox Mulder and Dana Scully?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,835 Senior Member
    "You're lookin' for the spine" Tommy Lee Jones in "The Hunted"
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Sweet Jesus...I would love to be on the "Reading the Gun Forums looking for psychopaths" detail...How badly would a guy have to screw up to draw that job?
    Like the guy said in Ghost busters, if there is a steady pay check in it.
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    If the hammer on the gun isn't cocked you may have 2 seconds don't waist it.

Seriously? In 1881 Dallas Stoudenmire killed 4 guys in 5 seconds with a Single Action .44 Colt. You seriously need to rethink your plan....also if your bad guy is carrying a Glock...you're hosed....
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    I've modified my carry knives to where they deploy as fast or faster than a holstered gun. They are stupid fast!
    Well now there's a surprise :tooth:

I have a decent knife, but I need to do better. Alright, since I've already hijacked the thread, let's see your suggestions, brothers.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    horselips wrote: »
    Besides, nothing bad ever happens to me.

You need to make sure they carve that on your tombstone....
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    Well now there's a surprise :tooth:

I have a decent knife, but I need to do better. Alright, since I've already hijacked the thread, let's see your suggestions, brothers.

Spyderco1.jpg

Spyderco13.jpg
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,651 Senior Member
    I do like Kershaw knives.

100_2498.jpg

100_2500.jpg

100_2503.jpg

100_2504.jpg

100_2507.jpg

100_2509.jpg
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,982 Senior Member
    :win::win::win::win:

Slasher..we have a slasher or is that a stabber or stab-slasher :roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2:

"DEEP WIDE AND FREQUENT".......:uhm::uhm:

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Billy View Post
    If I'm confronted by a gun wielding bad guy I'm not going to "pull" my knife and take my knife to a gun fight. I'm going to be submissive enough to bring the gun man closer and aid in his gain in confidence to bring him closer. As soon as I can make the gun a lessor advantage I will cut him deep, wide and frequent. Act weak and afraid and drop your wallet on the ground and plead for no harm or hand him the wallet and drop the car keys and when he looks down, GO. You have maybe a second to equal the playing field ( remember deep wide and frequent). If the guy is a killer he'll shoot first and then get your stuff later. Going against a gun without one is tough and dangerous. If the hammer on the gun isn't cocked you may have 2 seconds don't waist it. We're gun guys and we look at guns on TV and movies and see if the hammer is back or not don't we? Hold the knife with the handle in your hand and the blade down your forearm blade out. You have the use of your fist, a slashing blade and a back hand or downward stab. This type of close hand to hand or knife to gun takes training and practice and the bad guy holding the gun out front isn't expecting either. I never want it to go this way but if it does I do have a plan. The robber wants your cell phone not a fight. Later,
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    Assume for a moment that the knife is not yet drawn, within a distance of 21 feet; how does the speed of deployment of a knife compare to that of a properly holstered sidearm? Would drawing a sidearm be comparable? Anyone with any experience/knowledge they can share would be appreciated.

Massad Ayoob proved that in a court trial as an expert defense witness, how fast a person welding a knife can close on you before you can draw a gun from a holster.

Read this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill

"The Tueller Drill is a self-defense training exercise to prepare against a short-range knife attack when armed only with a holstered handgun.

Sergeant Dennis Tueller, of the Salt Lake City, Utah Police Department wondered how quickly an attacker with a knife could cover 21 feet (6.4 m), so he timed volunteers as they raced to stab the target. He determined that it could be done in 1.5 seconds. These results were first published as an article in SWAT magazine in 1983 and in a police training video by the same title, "How Close is Too Close?"[1]

A defender with a gun has a dilemma. If he shoots too early, he risks being charged with murder. If he waits until the attacker is definitely within striking range so there is no question about motives, he risks injury and even death. The Tueller experiments quantified a "danger zone" where an attacker presented a clear threat.[2]

The Tueller Drill combines both parts of the original time trials by Tueller. There are several ways it can be conducted:[3]

The "attacker and shooter are positioned back-to-back. At the signal, the attacker sprints away from the shooter, and the shooter unholsters his gun and shoots at the target 21 feet (6.4 m) in front of him. The attacker stops as soon as the shot is fired. The shooter is successful only if his shot is good and if the runner did not cover 21 feet (6.4 m).
    A more stressful arrangement is to have the attacker begin 21 feet (6.4 m) behind the shooter and run towards the shooter. The shooter is successful only if he was able take a good shot before he is tapped on the back by the attacker.
    If the shooter is armed with only a training replica gun, a full-contact drill may be done with the attacker running towards the shooter. In this variation, the shooter should practice side-stepping the attacker while he is drawing the gun.

Mythbusters covered the drill in the 2012 episode "Duel Dilemas". At 20 feet the gun wielder was able to shoot the charging knife attacker just as he reached the shooter. At shorter distances the knife wielder was always able to stab prior to being shot.[4]"
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus...I would love to be on the "Reading the Gun Forums looking for psychopaths" detail...How badly would a guy have to screw up to draw that job?

It might be called the NBKKILS.......... Natural Born Knife Killer Internet Lookout Squad :yikes::yikes: :roll2::roll2::roll2:

Hey, some folks might get the wrong idy about the members on here until they get get to know them better, then again, maybe not... their opinions might get worse after they do :wink::wink::wink:

Where else can one get so much free entertainment as on here?

Y'all know what PORK stands fer...........Privately Owned Rambo Knife
    Ok, a man was killed today 2 blocks away from Me by another man with a knife, scary.... I guess I need to beware of people around Me with knives.....

https://koin.com/2014/03/04/man-stabbed-death-n-portland/
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,245 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »

One of my "sister" officers from the local PD went to the FBI and got detailed to the "look for foreign terrorists on the inter-webs" squad. She couldn't stand it anymore after a year or two and came back. Wisely, the Police Chief snapped her up and assigned her as a detective.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Massad Ayoob proved that in a court trial as an expert defense witness, how fast a person welding a knife can close on you before you can draw a gun from a holster.

I'm familiar with this, as I'm sure most people who frequent our forum are. But this information includes/assumes a knife that is already drawn. My question was about neither weapon being drawn, inside 21ft, comparing the draw speed of each weapon. Obviously, there are variables such as concealment method and skill level, but if a person has knowledge/experience with such an encounter or circumstances, it would be interesting to hear/read.

I think the opinions/experiences presented in this thread have been really helpful. Thanks to all who have given knife suggestions.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    No.

I prefer the throat. That is a target rich environment. All in one neat easy to reach location. From any direction.

Artery
    Windpipe
    Esophagus

Consider this, the feeling of drowning or suffocation is a very panicked feeling. It's very hard to think of much else but BREATHING..........when you can't. Think of it as drowning on dry land.

Ive never been stabbed in the throat. But I've almost drowned. That was not fun.

Add choking to suffocation. I've seen the utter PANIC in eyes. Air becomes most important to you, but you can't get it..............ever again............as you gurgle and blow blood out your throat as you exhale. Then, inhale nothing but frothy blood..........and gag. Over and over again...........until you can't.

Screw the kidney. Take the Golden Throat.
    Interesting. Dave Grossman says that while the throat and neck are indeed target rich, the chance of cutting yourself while holding the other guy and stabbing him in the neck is high. Therefore it was determined that the Kidney was the best place to plant your knife while holding the bad guy. According to Grossman being stabbed in the kidney is so painful, that all the victim can do is clench up. The victim can't even scream, they are in such pain, and stay like this until they bleed out. From the front I would certainly agree going for the throat and neck, but doctorwho specified a back stabbing. I however have no experience with this. I think I would just do my best impression of a sewing machine.

For those that don't know, Dave Grossman it the author of On Killing, and On Combat.
    It's because I hate Trump.