Personal Defense strategy

Replies

• KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    But, dude, it's like....you know....the FBI!

Mike

From the folks that brought the X Files.....the premier of the Z Files.....:silly:
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    If I really had the choice to reach for something in my pocket, I would choose a hammerless .38 revolver over a knife every time.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,689 Senior Member
    If distance permits any of us would rather have a gun but when it comes down to a grappling match I do think a knife to be more effective.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Which is why Police Officers carry and train with knives rather than firearms.... :deadhorse:

This is another one of those fruitless discussions I heard tell of back in 49, all of Us together on a cold winter night around a potbelly stove, drinking coffee, discussing the merits of a 1911 over a S&W model 10 revolver.........
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Which is why Police Officers carry and train with knives rather than firearms.... :deadhorse:

This is another one of those fruitless discussions.....

Did you not train with a knife as a police officer? What is fruitless about this discussion?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Yes I did, and I am just an old man babbling, pay it no mind. I am 50 after all....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    I said "If distance Permits" I would prefer the gun but....

I would rather wrestle with a guy with a gun than one with a knife.

The gun can only hurt you from one end and it needs to be pointed in the right direction, while a knife, well it can hurt anything it touches.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    I would rather not wrestle armed idiots at all, they seem to get lucky way too often, I have been shot and stabbed, neither was fun, and it hurt like heck.

Some of that down home spun country logic is pretty painful too, I could be spared from it, if I too was so lucky.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    If I really had the choice to reach for something in my pocket, I would choose a hammer...........

:agree:

This.

estwing-claw-hammer-curved-24oz.jpg

My carry for over 30yrs;

Still have it.

Now use this;

454px-Bol%C3%ADgrafo_marca_birome_I.jpg

And this;

antique-old-telephone.jpg

Not the same effect I know,though, stuck in your eye they could smart some.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

I responded to a scene where a young lady had been struck in the head with a carpenters hammer, she had lots of medical problems thereafter, she suffered epileptic seizures among other neurological conditions related to her attack.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,652 Senior Member
    I responded to a scene where a young lady had been struck in the head with a carpenters hammer, she had lots of medical problems thereafter, she suffered epileptic seizures among other neurological conditions related to her attack.

Hammer to the head is bad, got it. Any experience with a 20oz ball **** hammer?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Point of order mister speaker,

Just to clarify, it is a 24oz Estwing English pattern claw hammer.

My back up is a 26 oz. Stanley Classic style claw hammer with Hickory shaft.

......... she had lots of medical problems thereafter, she suffered epileptic seizures among other neurological conditions related to her attack.

Would I have been under hammered with the 24oz, would the 26oz have alleviated these medical conditions?

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,052 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    Point of order mister speaker,

Just to clarify, it is a 24oz Estwing English pattern claw hammer.

My back up is a 26 oz. Stanley Classic style claw hammer with Hickory shaft.

You're under restrictions in your country, so I assume you have to go with a smooth faced hammer.

Luckily here in the land of the free, we can even carry the more traumatic milled face, aka waffle-head hammer.

I prefer to go with a 28 oz. framing hammer with milled face. More knockdown power.
    Overkill is underrated.
    You're under restrictions in your country, so I assume you have to go with a smooth faced hammer.

:that: :tissue:

More knockdown power.
    Ah!!
    Land Of The Free indeed. :usa:

Buford wrote: »

I see what you did there :beer:
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Buford wrote: »
    gator wrote: »
    I see what you did there :beer:
    samzhere wrote: »
    Okay, but I fail to make the connection with the discussion. Would you be so kind as to actually SAY, in English, what your point is? I admit to being dense and I need an explanation. Thanks.

No wait, we have done that. :devil:

About different effects of types of hammers when used as weapons, ask Ducky, (NCIS - forensics) to Me, a hammer used as a weapon is simply a hammer, 16 - 24 ounce, deadly regardless of type.

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/mccallum-learns-forensics-ncis-003636020.html

"David McCallum has revealed he has become something of a forensics expert thanks to his role in NCIS.
    The Scottish actor has played Dr Donald 'Ducky' Mallard in the US crime series since 2003, and said he has learned a lot.
    "It's quite extraordinary to have the part of Ducky," said the 80-year-old.
    "I've had to learn a great deal of pathology, almost right down to the cellular level, and you can't do that many shows without learning the details of the forensics you're dealing with."
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    A framing hammer has straight prongs on the side for pulling nails, makes a pretty effective weapon when you can't use the head. The prongs will be a more effective head strike than the head, deeper penetration. :applause: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
    The Armed forces institute of forensic pathology has lots of important information on the topic, rather too specialized for Me in any case.
    I really enjoy posh educated British humor, I like the social graces and high manners associated with good breeding and education / sophisticated speech, even the ribald stuff Mrs. Sloacum used to say, talking about her cat, and yet everything could also apply if she had been talking about her (other word for cat that starts with P) I just really enjoy the old grace brothers crowd.........

the only thing that cracks Me up more is Chesperito, and all his antics and characterizations, his Lucas & Chaparron (Napoleon) Bonaparte kills Me.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,810 Senior Member
    I'm too old to knife fight, so I'll just fall backwards while drawing and empty the magazine, from A hole to appetite. Bound to hit something useful.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Are we talking about El Chapulin Colorado y El Chavo Del Ocho? :tooth:

Chesperito

Yes, and his many other characters.....

CHESPIRITO LUCAS Y CHAPARRON

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zspq4FWnoLk
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    A framing hammer has straight prongs on the side for pulling nails, makes a pretty effective weapon when you can't use the head. The prongs will be a more effective head strike than the head, deeper penetration. :applause: Later,

This also makes a framing hammer an ideal tool for defending yourself from zombies...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    This also makes a framing hammer an ideal tool for defending yourself from zombies...

Not really, in order to use a hammer as a defensive arm, you need to be way too close and are at the same time also in greater danger of harm and attack too.

Too close for comfort, like the T.V. show of the same name.

Hence why I do not like CQC and avoid it as I do the plague !!! :yikes:

Or how cats hate baths / water !!!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    Hammers, like knives, don't run dry....a genuine concern when dealing with a pack of the undead...which leads me to wonder....was a hammer a weapon before it was a tool? I always thought warhammers were a pretty neat weapon....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Hammers, like knives, don't run dry....a genuine concern when dealing with a pack of the undead...which leads me to wonder....was a hammer a weapon before it was a tool? I always thought warhammers were a pretty neat weapon....

Now you have asked a great question, I do know various warriors used warhammers & battlehammers & HammersofThor and wimpasauruses have used HomerHammers for eons, however, IMHO I postulate the hammer was first a tool until Gorg mashed his thumb then mashed & slew Moog in a fit of rage, then realized what a dandy weapon his hammer was.

As far as the un-dead go, hammers are a piss poor weapon as you need to be too close to use it, and at those ranges, the un-dead can convert you into an un-dead, before they descend to the dust and decay.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,056 Senior Member
    I have had to use a hammer countless times as a tool. I have yet to use one as a weapon.
    You Sir are a true warrior and a noble, howsoever, the sword your weapon as a true knight, the weapon of a warrior of a more sophisticated era, the hammer is the random weapon of the less fortunate, less civilized......
    ...... less fortunate, less civilized......

Says you.

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member

I am firmly in the camp of weapon first. What would there have more of in the Stone Age? Nails to drive or heads needing bashed? See it was a weapon first. When they figured out how to sharpen one side of the rock tied to the end of a hickory stick that things got interesting.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13