Chicago thrift store worker killed by gun hidden in donated clothing

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,980 Senior Member
Me thunks the other employee pulled the trigger somehow, guns just don't go off all by themselves (even Glocks :jester:) or maybe banged a cocked revolver so hard on it's hammer it released the sear, but although possible if tampered with, unlikely????

I've handled S&W revolvers with too much "Trigger Work" and used my thumb after cocking them to test and pressure made the hammer fall without touching the trigger.

Cheap import or pre-hammer block safety?????? Older SA or revolver wouldn't have to be cocked before the block if a round was under the hammer. Or like a Colt/early Ruger SA?

Article didn't say it was a revolver, I guess it could have been a semi, I dunno.

Sad/tragic any way you look at it.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/07/chicago-thrift-store-worker-killed-by-gun-hidden-in-donated-clothing/?intcmp=latestnews

"A Chicago woman working in a local thrift store was killed Friday when she was accidentally shot in the chest by a gun concealed in some donated clothing.

According to MyFoxChicago.com, 54-year-old Carmen Dominguez was sorting through clothing in a back room of the store when her co-worker shook a sock containing the .22 caliber handgun, causing the weapon to fall out and fire, hitting Dominguez in the chest.

The mother of two was pronounced dead an hour later at a local medical center, according to the medical examiner’s office.

Anel Mendoza, Dominguez's niece said she had worked at the thrift store for more than 25 years.

"She had just been promoted not too long ago because she had been with the company for so long," Mendoza told MyFoxChicago.com.

"She was definitely a family-oriented person. She was always there for us," Mendoza said.

The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration has been notified of the shooting and is investigating.

Click for more from MyFoxChicago.com"
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Talk about going out on a freaky fluky.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That is extremely sad set of circumstances. :angel2::angel2:
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,257 Senior Member
    Hmmmm- - - - -any wagers on Jennings or Lorcin? The gun was probably a stolen throw-away dropped into a charity donation box by a gangbanger after a robbery or a drive-by.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,980 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Hmmmm- - - - -any wagers on Jennings or Lorcin? The gun was probably a stolen throw-away dropped into a charity donation box by a gangbanger after a robbery or a drive-by.
    Jerry

That's what I wuz thinking if it were a semi-auto the article didn't specify, only that it was a .22 caliber. Gang-banger probably fired it once if it was a Jennings then it jammed and the hard blow must have forced it into battery and caused it to fire.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,759 Senior Member
    Could have been one of the cheap RG (Rohm) revolvers. No transfer bar, and they were cheap and still plenty of them out there. Dropping one of them on the hammer could set off the round pretty easy.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    These assault donations need to be regulated! And now OSHA is involved...wonderful. Now we'll get sensible solutions! :roll:

Condolences to the family, though.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    According to the account, the gun was in a sock, ergo a sock drawer gun owner, sometimes a gun owner dies, and all their clothes get donated unchecked to charity.

Perhaps the other worker found the gun while sorting the clothes, took it out and pointed it at his co-worker and (accidentally) pulled the trigger, not intending to kill anyone, did not practice gun safety, gun pointed in safe direction etc.....

Maybe he thought it was a toy gun, or as many say: "UNLOADED" BANG !!!! hence all guns are always loaded, and treated as if loaded, and when guns are not loaded, they are treated as they are loaded, but he might not have had any type of gun safety training.

I merely balk at the original story as it was told, that the gun simply fell out of the sock and fired, and fired precisely and accurately killing someone ?

The odds of that happening are astronomical in nature, like three winning slot machine jackpots in a row.

I see another version I can accept better, the gun is found and pointed at the victim and the trigger pulled, the victim dies.

I was of course not there, and it might of happened just as it was told, though I doubt the account.

All this is pure D speculation by Me in any case.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996